Skip to main content
Topic: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing) (Read 114271 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing)

Reply #330
Without doubt, the major mistake we made was playing Clem Smith as a sub. It was a punt that he wouldn't be used until later in the game when the heat was out, speed was down and his fresh legs were good to go.

When picking the sub, the question needs to be asked, 'Is this guy physically and mentally able to see out a whole game?'  95% of the time I think our subs are. This time we tried to be too cute and it backfired!

Reply #331
Without doubt, the major mistake we made was playing Clem Smith as a sub. It was a punt that he wouldn't be used until later in the game when the heat was out, speed was down and his fresh legs were good to go.

When picking the sub, the question needs to be asked, 'Is this guy physically and mentally able to see out a whole game?'  95% of the time I think our subs are. This time we tried to be too cute and it backfired!

1. Picking Clem Smith was the wrong thing to do.
No, it wasn't.
The sub is the perfect situation to bring in kids and give them a taste of it.
The sub is the perfect situation to play an impact player.
The sub is the perfect situation to play someone who may not be able to run out a game.

Smith ticks all those boxes. Yes, it was unfortunate we lost Thomas so early, but in 99% of the games, that won't happen.

Mick also likes to pick kids for big games and see what they can do under real pressure. 84,000 people will give Mick a great idea of what to expect from Smith. FWIW, i didn't think he was that bad.

Keep in mind that i picked Tutt to be sub over Smith simply because i thought he was more physically ready and capable of playing the whole game.

That being said, would Tutt have made a difference?
Perhaps we should've had Armfield as the sub. Possibly could've been a better option than Tutt. However, not 1 single person suggested as much pre-game.

Mondays experts.

Reply #332
Did they pick Smith with 100% confidence that if needed he could run out a whole game and play a significant role for the team?  If yes, fine. If not, we punted badly.

Reply #333
We were up by almost 4 goals, but we should have had a lead of at least 9 goals with reasonably accurate kicking.  If we had got such a break, I suspect Richmond would have capitulated and the discussions here would be very different.

The story of our life unfortunately!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #334
Did they pick Smith with 100% confidence that if needed he could run out a whole game and play a significant role for the team?  If yes, fine. If not, we punted badly.

1. Was he still running around at the end of the game? Yes.
2. Was he the only player to show fatigue during the game? No.
3. Do coaches from all teams take a punt on playing a kid even though they might not be 100% match ready? Yes.
4. Would it be better if we made him, and everyone in a similar position, play in the 2's all year until he gets his match fitness up to a higher base? No.
5. Was he the worst player on the ground? No

Reply #335
Playing Smith as the sub was a gamble and we lost.  However, I'm not too concerned about the decision because Smith was one of the best performed recruits in the pre-season comp and bringing him on late in the game would have provided valuable experience without too much pressure on his limited endurance.  Daisy's awful injury put paid to that.

A more conservative approach would have been to have Armfield, Boekhurst or Tutt as the sub.  Armfield would have been my preference simply because you know what you're going to get.  Boekhurst hasn't shown a lot so far and giving him a run might send the wrong message.  I'm not convinced that Tutt will be a player but, if you want to give a newby a go, he would probably have been a better option than Smith simply because he has several pre-seasons under his belt.

I hope Smith is taken aside and told that the club is happy with his performance but he needs to tear it up in the NBs for 6 or 8 weeks to build his stamina.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #336

I am thinking another major mistake at the selection table was in not going with a back up ruck option , having to use Rowe & unsettling the side as much as it did.

Reply #337
I am thinking another major mistake at the selection table was in not going with a back up ruck option , having to use Rowe & unsettling the side as much as it did.

Absolutely this. MM's obsession with having players he can throw all over the park is currently to the teams detriment. Rowe just plays down back, that's it. Henderson forward. What worries me is that basically all teams showed something, even the lowly saints. We showed nothing after quarter time. Could be a very long year.
Eat more chooks

Reply #338

Im not sure this would have been as big an issue Had Jaksch not busbusted his ribs.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #339

Too cute cost the Sea Hawks the Superbowl (yay) so you just don't do it.

Reply #340
Im not sure this would have been as big an issue Had Jaksch not busbusted his ribs.

Rowe would still have had to ruck - does any other AFL team rotate their CHB in the ruck?

Jaksch is not a key position player, as Malthouse conceded after the game.  He could have provided more run out of the backline and/or more movement in the forward line if he wasn't injured but we would still have been missing a back up ruckman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball