Skip to main content
Topic: Chris Yarran has gone backwards. (Read 114777 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chris Yarran has gone backwards.

Reply #30
Yarran went backwards last year, to say he has gone backwards this year is a complete lie.

I think both statements are wrong, he has not progressed would be more accurate!

Players always suffer in their 2nd or 3rd year as they collect more attention from opponents. It is the "Honeymoon is Over" scenario.

After last season Betts, Garlett and Yarran are naturally attracting more attention, but not because they have slipped. Primarily it is because Walker and Robbo have left the forward zone. Last season and the season before one of those medium sized fast taggers had to stand Walker. Now the oppositions best medium sized defensive trio get to line up 1,2 & 3 on the Amigos, and the Amigos have to learn to deal with it!

Add to that I think Yarran's best season was off the HB line when Walker was primarily forward. This season he must share much more of that HBF ball with Walker so it means less highlights for Yarran.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Spot On Carrots.

Notice since the Dropping of Yarran:

1. The Form of Garlett (who was close to AA) has fallen away dramatically. as as his intensity and Desire.
2. Betts hasn't got near it and was close to re-signing at the bye but has now held off talks with the club.
3. Yarran is unsure whether to take the game on or stop and prop and kick long to the Boundary.

Are you saying the Aboriginals are on strike?

They are very close knit friends and it is just an observation that their form has all dipped since Yarran's sooky la la and dropping. I think its pretty obvious - no?

@1979 - Garlett's form last year was Horrible and was lucky to play as many as he did. Mick (or whoever) had him playing at AA levels at the start of this year, but went goalless for 3 games when the heat was on and Yarran got dropped. He has started to hopefully turn it around again (notice that Betts and Yarran are both back playing now).
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #32
I think there is a bigger plan and picture here for Yarran and MM is putting it in place. Maybe he is perceived to be going backwards but I see it as he is learning a few lessons to continue going forward and reach his full potential. They are hard and necessary lessons. He'll be a better AFL footballer for this year under MM IMHO and will learn a lot more under his tuition.

Reply #33
Yarran went backwards last year, to say he has gone backwards this year is a complete lie.

No it's not it's an opinion. Are you saying I'm deliberately lying about my opinion?

Yarran played very well last year from limited games and quite a few where he wasn't even fit. No chance he would've been dropped last year. This year he's been made sub and dropped. He's had one great game vs WCE no doubt.

When I talk about him going backwards it's not just in reference to his form. He seemed extremely hesitant vs the Saints, had little or no confidence and fumbled quite a few balls. This is not like Chris Yarran at all. He's usually got clean hands and the utmost confidence in his ability. I did not see the Pies or Swans games so I can't comment on those games.

@Shadesy

I noticed this a few weeks back that all three had under performed since. Garlett had been firing early in the season Betts is just an out and out star. Yarran could be anything. I'd like to know what their forward pressure has been like in the past 3 weeks (pretty sure there's a stat).
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #34
I think there is a bigger plan and picture here for Yarran and MM is putting it in place. Maybe he is perceived to be going backwards but I see it as he is learning a few lessons to continue going forward and reach his full potential. They are hard and necessary lessons. He'll be a better AFL footballer for this year under MM IMHO and will learn a lot more under his tuition.

Pratty I've got this sinking feeling that MM will trade him. Would be a huge black mark against Mick's name if this happens from where I sit.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #35

Pratty I've got this sinking feeling that MM will trade him. Would be a huge black mark against Mick's name if this happens from where I sit.

Swap for Daisy?

Yarran should be more of an untouchable than Gibbs imo.

i'd love to run into the Yazz one day and get his thoughts on MM and CFC circa 2013.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36

I don't.

I reckon he will get him motivated.

If Yarran gets fit, I mean really really fit and starts running like a Swans player he will murder teams. Like I said before, he's a 10 kg heavier player than Lewis Jetta but he can run just as fast, can mark and can break a tackle.

He should be the scariest proposition for opposition clubs.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #37
Couldn't agree more with the second part. He has the ability to be the best player in the comp. Also makes you wonder why the fork you'd make him sub.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #39
No it's not it's an opinion. Are you saying I'm deliberately lying about my opinion?

Yes.

Hmm, ok. That's a little strange but anyway good for you. You're entitled to your opinion after all.

Back on topic, no better chance than Friday night on a dry deck for the Yazz to turn it on. Would love to see him line up on a wing or off half back.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #40
Started the season  on fire.
Hit a bit of bad form and then has kind of lost the plot a bit.
Comes cross as the kind of player who backs his own ability and talk himself up, but could at times get ahead of himself too.

Reply #41
Started the season  on fire.
Hit a bit of bad form and then has kind of lost the plot a bit.
Comes cross as the kind of player who backs his own ability and talk himself up, but could at times get ahead of himself too.

Very true & accurate assessment, at times you really do get the impression he thinks he is a better player than what his overall output would suggest.

He has till the end of the season to appease Malthouse & convince him that he not only wants to remain at the club but he will also follow Malthouse's instructions precisely. The reason I say that is Malthouse is not afraid to trade out regular players plus he has a system he works to that achieves success and anyone who doesn't buy into that plan ends up being booted.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #42

If you talk the talk, you had better walk the walk!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
Just on Jeffie and I love him as a player, he is a little bit of a flat tracker.   His drop off in form just happened to be against Essendon, Hawthorn and Sydney.

Average Goals vs
3 - Gold Coast
2.8 - Adelaide
2.5 - GWS Giants
2.5 - Port Adelaide
2 - Essendon
2 - West Coast
2 - Melbourne
1.8 - Brisbane Lions
1.8 - Richmond
1.8 - Fremantle
1.8 - St Kilda
1.8 - Totals
1.5 - Sydney
1.5 - Collingwood
1.3 - Western Bulldogs
1.2 - Geelong
0.7 - North Melbourne
0.5 - Hawthorn

Average Disposals vs
16.5 - GWS Giants
14 - Western Bulldogs
13.8 - Geelong
13.3 - Adelaide
12.9 - Essendon
12.9 - West Coast
12.2 - Melbourne
12.2 - Sydney
12.1 - Brisbane Lions
12.1 - Richmond
12 - Totals
11.6 - Collingwood
11.2 - Fremantle
11 - Gold Coast
10.7 - North Melbourne
10.4 - St Kilda
10.3 - Hawthorn
9.8 - Port Adelaide

He has struggled in big games and dominated in our big wins.

Reply #44
I think Yarran has struggled this year, but he has certainly had his highlights along the way.

I also think that despite some decent form last year, he was far from our best each and every week then.

So...its been a bit of a steady decline over the past 2 years that have glimpses of his best along the way.

Jeffy has struggled, Eddie too.

Might be the game plan, might be the (lack of) forward targets. Might be teething problems.

I also think that all this talk about Yarran dominating small forwards last year is a bit rich. There were plenty of people calling him lazy and soft last year too.

Personally i think Yarran has lost a bit of his attacking flair, but has gained a bit more physicality. I'd like to see him moved permanently to a wing. I think it suits his skill set.