Skip to main content
Topic: 2016 - Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond (Read 78390 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2016 - Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #135
Oh well Yarran wont be there Rd 1 or round 2,3,4,5......... ;D Just reported he is having minor foot surgery.

One of 2 things here. Either they didn't get the medical checks they should have or he's as brittle as a biscuit.

Either way early days i know, but still not the start they would have wanted trading an early pick for.

Reply #136
Oh well Yarran wont be there Rd 1 or round 2,3,4,5......... ;D Just reported he is having minor foot surgery.

One of 2 things here. Either they didn't get the medical checks they should have or he's as brittle as a biscuit.

Either way early days i know, but still not the start they would have wanted trading an early pick for.

Kept that quiet until the Hardwick deal was done didn't they? Someone in the club wanted Hardwick and they knew he would be under the pump from supporters for chasing the brittle Yarran!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #137
Here's one from left field; as I understand it Clem Smith has been working on his endurance over the off season and has made significant stride (a lot fitter), could Smith be trialed as a tagger who can push forward?

Specifically could he run with a Cotchin or Delidio? Smith's defence and ability to hurt in the tackle could really disrupt the Tigers running game. Given they've lost Conca and have reduced rotations can this be a weapon in our favour?

Thoughts?

Dangerous players to put the inexperienced Smith on....Deledio will probably play forward and is a capable goal kicker these days........both would be too big for Smith to handle.
I'd rather Ed Curnow take Cotchin...

Deledio, Cotchin and Martin are very dangerous when played forward and we need to get our match ups right and not have undersized players on them...

Smith is probably better suited being out of the forward pocket where he can create some turnovers and forward pressure...

Reply #138

I'm disappointed that he won't play. I would like him to experience the new Carlton first up.
However, .....

Reports suggest he is having surgery of the plantar fascia: do not expect a quick or an easy return (been there, done that!). He may never totally recover (it took me years, but then I'm not an AFL footballer).

Having painted a terrible picture ( :) ), I bet he'll have no trouble and will be back early.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #139
Touhy or White for Dusty, Curnow snr for DeLedio.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #140
Dangerous players to put the inexperienced Smith on....Deledio will probably play forward and is a capable goal kicker these days........both would be too big for Smith to handle.
I'd rather Ed Curnow take Cotchin...

Deledio, Cotchin and Martin are very dangerous when played forward and we need to get our match ups right and not have undersized players on them...

Smith is probably better suited being out of the forward pocket where he can create some turnovers and forward pressure...

I agree. Smith would get lost very quickly, and it is asking too much of him to do much with the ball if he did get hands on it. The best result would be for Clem Smith to spend most of the season playing in the reserves, with a block of 3 or 4 games in the seniors due to injury. He isn't ready for league level football yet, and apart from the odd exception, we shouldn't expect first and second year players to be playing regular league football. That's the depth the club is striving to build.

Reply #141
I agree. Smith would get lost very quickly, and it is asking too much of him to do much with the ball if he did get hands on it. The best result would be for Clem Smith to spend most of the season playing in the reserves, with a block of 3 or 4 games in the seniors due to injury. He isn't ready for league level football yet, and apart from the odd exception, we shouldn't expect first and second year players to be playing regular league football. That's the depth the club is striving to build.

Who says he's not ready?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #142
For all those that replied; yes I agree Clem Smith is inexperienced but tagging is also a way of bringing him to the ball (following the better players).

Points taken about Cotchin and Martin wouldn't be a good match up with his ability to play forward, I just thought with a maturing body, better tank and his ability to apply physical pressure this could take some heat out of the Tigers running game. Remember they've lost Conca now from Thursday's mix.

Brynne for instance would be a risk being elevated (they all would be if they haven't played) and they have to get the experience sometime. We need to find out quickly who can play and who can't. If Smith can be applying pressure and crunching blokes, he will cause turnovers and I would have thought a tagging role might work for him.

Anyone know if he has he tagged much at the reserves level?

Reply #144
I would rather keep him as a creative type player and not train him to be a negative type. Just sayin... ???
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #145
I would rather keep him as a creative type player and not train him to be a negative type. Just sayin... ???

I think there are already clear signs that Bolton is expanding the skills base faster and further than the previous coaches, for that reason I think you will find the younger blokes get intermittent games and be asked to work on stuff back at VFL level. I thought it was pretty obvious how poorly trained some of our guys were when sent to unfamiliar positions, they had no idea what they were supposed to be doing. I'll bet Bolton is changing that to everyone should know what everybody else does, even if they are no good at it they should still know what to do!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #146
I think there are already clear signs that Bolton is expanding the skills base faster and further than the previous coaches, for that reason I think you will find the younger blokes get intermittent games and be asked to work on stuff back at VFL level. I thought it was pretty obvious how poorly trained some of our guys were when sent to unfamiliar positions, they had no idea what they were supposed to be doing. I'll bet Bolton is changing that to everyone should know what everybody else does, even if they are no good at it they should still know what to do!

Seems so logical, why hasn't any of our other coaches thought of doing that? :o
Although Fev was put a Full Back for a game wasn't he? ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #147
Evidence for development right there....  young or new players coming in and looking like they can play their assigned roles at senior levels, not just being brought in "see if they can play".  A bit tough when the NB's were a rabble on so many levels.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #148
Well I don't want Gibbs 'floating' around like a pansy so he can go have the spotlight shining o him and match up against a Cotchin or the like. He needs to be challenged in a MAJOR way!

Reply #149
Well I don't want Gibbs 'floating' around like a pansy so he can go have the spotlight shining o him and match up against a Cotchin or the like. He needs to be challenged in a MAJOR way!

x2

BTW, We're currently at $4.50 (think the line is under 4 goals).

I dint think we're a good show but Richmond with some injuries in round 1, us with a new coach, is probably our best shot at an upset all year.

Would be a nice change to start the season with a win.