Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 13: Northern Blues vs. Richmond on TV (Read 22953 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 13: Northern Blues vs. Richmond on TV

Reply #60
I reckon you should go watch a pre-season game or 2. He put in quite a few hard tackles and looked very comfortable at stages. So much so, that i had him as my 23rd player on the list at the start of the year based on those qualities you listed.

Sure, he hasn't shown a whole lot of them during the year, but he hasn't had much going for him. Yazz hasn't shown much of those qualities of late, and he's a 'seasoned pro'. This kid has played half a season.....under 2 senior coaches plus 1 VFL coach. Give the kid a chance!

I thought he showed a bit in the pre-season too Kruddler, but he hasn't come on as I was expecting.

I think part of the problem may stem from the following statement:

“Blaine ticked the boxes for us with his speed, agility and outside run. He’s the type of player who really takes on the opposition and will give us some depth in the midfield,” Rogers said.

“Having had a couple of years of development in the WAFL his body has matured a little more and he has matured as a player, making him someone who could easily slot into our team straight away.”

Some of us may have taken Rogers at his word  ::) and expected a ready made player.  Clearly that is not the case and we should be giving Boekhorst the same opportunity to prove himself as we give other first year players, or even players who are in their first season with us after a couple (or seven) years in the system.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
Some of us may have taken Rogers at his word  ::) and expected a ready made player.  Clearly that is not the case and we should be giving Boekhorst the same opportunity to prove himself as we give other first year players, or even players who are in their first season with us after a couple (or seven) years in the system.

He shouldn't be punished for our draft decisions but you also can't treat him as an 18 year old kid. I would cut my losses if he isn't a regular by the time his contract expires.

Reply #62
He shouldn't be punished for our draft decisions but you also can't treat him as an 18 year old kid. I would cut my losses if he isn't a regular by the time his contract expires.

I presume he is probably on a 2 year deal but he probably needs an extra year on top of that IMO  but I reckon the next coach especially if they like
their players robust and readymade will probably agree with you and move him on at the end of next season.
He looks like he has dropped his bundle a bit and I thought his body language on the weekend wasnt great....we really need to move Webster on and get a better VFL coach IMO.

Reply #63
What is our recruiting/scouting network like in Perth ? Surely the club doesn't make judgements based on 2nd-hand briefs & highlights packages ? If we don't have representatives watching the WAFL games & training week after week IN PERSON, then we will continue to fail (and WCoast will continue to pick the gems).

Problems such as a lack of size & strength with Bockhoerst shouldn't have surfaced mid-season. Why was this not picked up much earlier by Malthouse or Wiley ?!!

His application is hard to assess. I spent 2 years in Perth in my mid-20's and experienced a laid-back beer culture, and they don't endure winters like Melbourne. I'd only be considering WA players if they actually trained the house down and perhaps had spent time in Melbourne to reduce the 'culture & climate shock'.

Reply #64
I reckon you should go watch a pre-season game or 2. He put in quite a few hard tackles and looked very comfortable at stages. So much so, that i had him as my 23rd player on the list at the start of the year based on those qualities you listed.

Sure, he hasn't shown a whole lot of them during the year, but he hasn't had much going for him. Yazz hasn't shown much of those qualities of late, and he's a 'seasoned pro'. This kid has played half a season.....under 2 senior coaches plus 1 VFL coach. Give the kid a chance!

Don't get me wrong, I am not sacking him now, but you have to ask the following question:

Off early exposure, of Cripps, Graham, Boekhorst, Menzel, ill add Smith and ill put in Matthew Kreuzer, Chris Yarran, Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs in here for a measured bit of a litmus test (thinking of their early games), which one of them concerns you the most regarding their ability to make the grade?

My answer is Boekhorst.

That can and hopefully will change, but what I have adjusted regarding Boekhorst in my mindset.

For reference, of that lot, even Smith or Gibbs would be the next one I would list, which means he can make it, but Im not expecting him to.

As another reference point, Simpson is another who we would have in the same boat.  Boekhorst may very well be a 200 game player.  No one knows what happens from here, but the expectation HAS to shift based on his early football.

So, I am stating my position that I dont think he'll make it.  Lets hope he does a Simpson, but I doubt it particularly in a game plan that asks for a bit of effort and thats about it.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65

I agree.  If he is not a regular player after another pre-season I doubt whether he ever will be.

Hopefully he will show that he can play.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
So far I'm not convinced by Boekhorst but I'm happy to give him until the end of his contract period before we make a call. We must make all efforts to make him successful - we cannot afford to just write off early picks without at least doing that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #67
Don't get me wrong, I am not sacking him now, but you have to ask the following question:

Off early exposure, of Cripps, Graham, Boekhorst, Menzel, ill add Smith and ill put in Matthew Kreuzer, Chris Yarran, Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs in here for a measured bit of a litmus test (thinking of their early games), which one of them concerns you the most regarding their ability to make the grade?

My answer is Boekhorst.

That can and hopefully will change, but what I have adjusted regarding Boekhorst in my mindset.

For reference, of that lot, even Smith or Gibbs would be the next one I would list, which means he can make it, but Im not expecting him to.

As another reference point, Simpson is another who we would have in the same boat.  Boekhorst may very well be a 200 game player.  No one knows what happens from here, but the expectation HAS to shift based on his early football.

So, I am stating my position that I dont think he'll make it.  Lets hope he does a Simpson, but I doubt it particularly in a game plan that asks for a bit of effort and thats about it.

See, with the Gibbs thing, i saw him play U18's and saw plenty from him. He just knew how to play football. Sure he had times where people had doubts, but there was enough in the early stages to keep you interested. Whilst Boeky hasn't quite shown Gibbs like talent early, he has certainly shown more than Kane Lucas IMO.

We've given players like Rowe more time on the list before trying to crucify him and he was 27 when we recruited him!