Skip to main content
Topic: 'Cue In The Rack' or 'Soldier On'  (Read 25440 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 'Cue In The Rack' or 'Soldier On'

Reply #30
I would also throw in Graham at the expense of either Cachia Curnow, Armfield

If they play Menzel and Buckley it's unlikely they will also play Graham I think. It's just too bold for them.

Reply #31
Graham deserves gig more than Buckley IMO.

We need to ingest some pace into our midfield.   

Reply #32
Graham deserves gig more than Buckley IMO.

We need to ingest some pace into our midfield.  

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing Menzel and Graham come in and then maybe Buckley in a couple of games time. Whatever we do we have to do something - we cannot keep going on like this.

It was interesting that Matty Lodge said on Twitter that Graham was tagged last week against Essendon. That's a sign they obviously rated him.

Reply #33
I think it is cue in the rack time
It is glaringly obvious that we just don’t have the squad to even dream of contending! Our recruiting and lack of player development in the last 10 years has been deplorable and is really hurting us. It leaves us mired in mid-table mediocrity.

Play Graham, Menzel, Buckley for the rest of the year and prepare for next year. Hopefully, now that a dose of reality has hit us and with the blowtorch firmly on us, we can do a proper revitalisation of player list and every footballing position at our club. The current status quo is simply not good enough!

Reply #34
Cue in the rack time....play some kids and maybe give a couple of other players who are fringe dwellars one last chance to show something.

Reply #35
The fact that Menzel, Buckley and Graham represent all that is in the 2's worth having a look at is an indictment on this club.

From a list of what 46, minus say 22 senior players, a few injured, and out of all the rest we can find a sum total of 3 kids worth looking at?

Kind of implies that there are around 10-15 list cloggers stealing oxygen... why are they still there ??? Why weren't they culled last year???
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #36
The fact that Menzel, Buckley and Graham represent all that is in the 2's worth having a look at is an indictment on this club.

From a list of what 46, minus say 22 senior players, a few injured, and out of all the rest we can find a sum total of 3 kids worth looking at?

Kind of implies that there are around 10-15 list cloggers stealing oxygen... why are they still there ??? Why weren't they culled last year???

I agree Prof........its slim pickings, I would add Bell to that list.
Watson, Mitchell and McCarthy need looking at in the seniors before a decision is made on their futures as well.
Reckon Temay is another recruiting bust too.

10-15 reads about right in terms of players going nowhere......

Reply #37

You are right. It IS an indictment on this club - it's negligence, just shocking the goings on here.

Reply #38
It is very disheartening! We have an excessive number of players who’s lack of development and years on our list have been of great detriment to the on-field fortunes of our team. We have drafted poorly, developed badly and been below-par with our list management decisions.

I was thinking about adding Watson but he seems to have been lumped by Mick in the “never to play again category” ala Laids and Duigan.
As for McCarthy and Mitchell, if the NB reports are anything to go by, there are a pair of KP selections that will be added to the long list of flops over the last 10+ years!

Reply #39
Our culture cant afford to put the queue in the rack.  we have done this every time the finals have been over.  Why do you think we fail when it gets hard?

Because we have bred a culture of putting the queue in the rack as soon as it gets hard.

We go hard to win every contest one at a time from here on in, and I dont want to hear talk of draft picks.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
It is very disheartening! We have an excessive number of players who’s lack of development and years on our list have been of great detriment to the on-field fortunes of our team. We have drafted poorly, developed badly and been below-par with our list management decisions.

I was thinking about adding Watson but he seems to have been lumped by Mick in the “never to play again category” ala Laids and Duigan.
As for McCarthy and Mitchell, if the NB reports are anything to go by, there are a pair of KP selections that will be added to the long list of flops over the last 10+ years!

This week's team will at least indicate which players such as those you've posted are earmarked to go. Maybe Laidler is not among them having heard about the recent knee pin removal story - he might come back eventually.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
why are they still there ??? Why weren't they culled last year???

They're still here because the club thought the list was good enough and all it needed was a better coach. Now the list isn't good enough, so they want different players. Ratten has taken a fall, IMO, until those who believed the list was a premiership winning list just needing a tweakhere or there also need to go. When that happens, then I'll know we're serious.

Reply #42
why are they still there ??? Why weren't they culled last year???

They're still here because the club thought the list was good enough and all it needed was a better coach. Now the list isn't good enough, so they want different players. Ratten has taken a fall, IMO, until those who believed the list was a premiership winning list just needing a tweakhere or there also need to go. When that happens, then I'll know we're serious.

All true. The powers that be did honestly believe we were good enough and the addition of Malthouse was the missing ingredient to take us to top 4 and play a style that would survive the finals.

We were wrong. Now we are faced with the possibility and emerging reality that we are probably Hawthorn circa 2001.

Reply #43
People laugh at Richmonds recruiting, but since Hardwick has got to the club their picks have been great. The worst first pick they have is Conca and he's decent.

Our recruiting has looked too often for all day runners, which are great but they need to get the ball too.

Menzel looks good so far, showed a fair bit of grunt in the limited time he has got at senior level he looks to be a decent size but then you look at who is behind him Graham, Temay and Buckley all slight and short so you have to question the recruiting of Temay when a bigger body would have rounded out the squad a bit more.

Mitchell is someone who needs to be played in the seniors soon. I know RiverRat has a poor opinion of him but I watched the first quarter of the last VFL game on TV and the three times it was kicked towards Mitchell the first he was up against two defenders and the ball was lost, the second the ball was kicked on the wrong side and the third was just booted in his general direction and was given no chance. A FF relies on the mids to get him the ball, he has limitations with speed but when you don't kick the ball to his advantage then what hope does any forward have. Give him a go while Waite is out, especially against St Kilda where they have a smaller backline and start kicking the ball to his advantage.

I worry sometimes that our forward plan is to bomb it long to a contest and bring it to ground for our smalls, all well and good on occasions, but a high ball forward draws cumbers from both teams leaving it hard for our slightly built smalls to get enough room to move. Kick it to a one on one with only one front and centre and chance are our smalls will beat their defenders 70% of the time.

Reply #44

I reckon MM did the right thing. Gave all the list a chance to show their capability, some of these DC's havent taken the opportunity. Too bad so sad, move them on and bring in new blood.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time