Skip to main content
Topic: Doggies vs Dees (Read 7444 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Doggies vs Dees

Reply #15
How did the 16 person teams go?  The women's footy commentator on the Coodabeens this morning made a very strong argument for sticking with 18 players based on the women's inability to kick as far as blokes.

They started without wings, but somewhere along the line they moved up a pocket to get extra players in the middle.

It was a very fast and free flowing game and the girls did tire late.

As far as kicking as far as the blokes...
I'm not sure how much of it was the slightly smaller than usual footys being used (even for the girls) but Tayla Harris the big key forward signed up by Brisbane launched one from outside 55 that bounced just short of the goalline and went through.
Fair kick. ;)

Reply #16
BTW, can someone explain why we have 3 players already? Thought you were only allowed to sign 2. No other team has 3 that i'm aware of.

Reply #17
BTW, can someone explain why we have 3 players already? Thought you were only allowed to sign 2. No other team has 3 that i'm aware of.

Krud,

The AFL has allowed all teams to nominate priority pick players before the draft.
The VIC teams get one pick and will be used on players the club has put time & effort into the last 3-4 years or are currently working/assisting at the club in some capacity.
(i.e. Lauren Arnell assisted in putting the License proposal together and is working at the club. They nominated her last week) Hence the three players for CFC.

Doggies & Pies have nominated theirs as well.

The interstate clubs have some extra priority picks. Rules similar but have additional picks to try to get some talent from other states (read that as Victoria & WA).
Brisbane nominated Ashmore on Friday.

The rest of the player go into the draft. Draft day 12Oct16.
Draft nominations opened up on Friday.

Reply #18
OK cool.

Isn't there also some kind of rules for the draft that means vic clubs draft vic players?

Reply #19
They commented that the 16 made the game less congested and with less stoppages. I agree.

From what I've seen, congestion isn't an issue in women's footy; one of the reasons why it's good to watch.  However, the alliance with AFL may influence the coaches to copy AFL tactics.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
OK cool.

Isn't there also some kind of rules for the draft that means vic clubs draft vic players?

Those players nominating for the draft get to nominate which state draft pool they want to be put into.

A Vic player can nominate for the QLD draft pool, SA pool etc... for example
Selecting the VIC pool means there are a possible four teams be to be selected by.
All other states will get down to whether that club rates you high enough to be picked.

They will then only be selected by that state. If they don't get picked up they are not eligible to be picked up in any other state draft pool.

Hope that makes sense.

Reply #21
From what I've seen, congestion isn't an issue in women's footy; one of the reasons why it's good to watch.  However, the alliance with AFL may influence the coaches to copy AFL tactics.

16 a side certainly helps with less congestion.

But to me it always gets down to executing the skills of the game properly that eliminates congestion.

At all levels, players spread & run and if the skills are executed correctly, teams a opened up and the game flows quickly with no congestion.

Teams of course will deploy tactics to cover that, which causes congestion if the skills aren't  pinpoint or the ball movement slowed.

With regards to last nights game, the girls actually used an smaller football than they usually use and talking to them after the game they all said that the ball felt different off the boot and took some adjustment with the force used to pinpoint passes. Generally the majority of those girls at this level would hit targets on a regular basis with the ball they normally use.

But overall, I thought the game was at a good standard. And very much what you'd see at the VFL level with regards to hardness, run & courage.

Reply #22
Those players nominating for the draft get to nominate which state draft pool they want to be put into.

A Vic player can nominate for the QLD draft pool, SA pool etc... for example
Selecting the VIC pool means there are a possible four teams be to be selected by.
All other states will get down to whether that club rates you high enough to be picked.

They will then only be selected by that state. If they don't get picked up they are not eligible to be picked up in any other state draft pool.

Hope that makes sense.

Perfect sense. Girls don't nominate where they are not willing to move too.

By that logic it would appear that WA + SA will have a better crop than NSW + QLD as more girls would play there and be less likely to wanna move.