Skip to main content
Topic: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Monday night mauling?) (Read 55931 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Monday night mauling?)

Reply #15

But we wouldn't be the only club who has a list profile like this but ours is probably longer.

FWIW I reckon if one of Beams, Swann or Pendlebury went down the Pies would be just another team.

I know I keep banging on about gun midfields but it's the difference. You need three or four stars and 3 or 4 really good back up.

For sure, Judd comes in and they can't put all the focus on Murphy.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #16
Y'day's Saints performance was one of the worst I've seen by any team for years....it was truly appalling. Lose to that mob......*shudder* I don't wanna even think about it.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #17

But we wouldn't be the only club who has a list profile like this but ours is probably longer.

FWIW I reckon if one of Beams, Swann or Pendlebury went down the Pies would be just another team.

I know I keep banging on about gun midfields but it's the difference. You need three or four stars and 3 or 4 really good back up.

For sure, Judd comes in and they can't put all the focus on Murphy.

For all of the Bombers love, WCE hype, Tigers delusion etc over the years, these guy's will never be a threat because they have one, maybe two, quality on-ballers. They are too easy to cover.

I actually thought for a time that with Gibbs, Murph, Judd we might have a chance but Gibbs didn't become the midfielder we hoped or he found himself playing back or tagging under Ratts and MM.

No Judd now, Gibbs still finding himself filling holes so it falls to Murph.

What I don't understand is that Simpson doesn't find himself on the ball. Weve tried Eddie and Jeffy and all sorts but no Simpson. I don't get it.

Particularly when I remember Pagan put him on the ball in maybe his first season and he did well despite weighing about 65kg in a soaking wet long sleeve jumper.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #18
Didn't he play a bit in the middle against Collingwood? Looks like he would smash it ATM.

Reply #19
Didn't he play a bit in the middle against Collingwood? Looks like he would smash it ATM.

He might have.

But it always looks like a bit of an after thought.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but if a midfielders skills include sure hands, good decisions under pressure, speed and good disposal, plus the ability to run all day, I would have thought he was a monty.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #20
If we play like we did on Friday and they play like they did on Saturday we'll win by 10 goals.

TBF, they were coming off two 6 day breaks and an overseas trip against one of the best. I think we'll see a different Saints and one looking for redemption.

They have way too many injuries at the moment.

They will be down at least:

Geary
Templeton and Dunstan (part of the reason people were getiing excited by them)
Gilbert
Hickey
Armitage

no doubt they will rush Sam Fisher back too.

Reply #21
Wood managed 73 hitouts in the VFL last match. What about rewarding his efforts? He can kick straight, and can take a mark.

With that number of hitouts in a losing side you'd have to wonder how well they were directed.
It doesn't look like we had the advantage that type of dominance would suggest.

Fun trivia fact
Most hitouts in an AFL  game- Gary Dempsey (Nortyh Melb) 63 ....but Hawthorn won the match 32-14-206 to North 15-22-112
Tuck and Wallace had 30+ and Matthews kicked 7 so it looks like they picked off the hitouts fairly well.

Sounds like a fantastic game to watch with a score like that. Sort of makes you realise what KB is on about.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #22
Try This For Size:

Buckley    Jamison    O'Dougherty
White     Waite    Yarran
Simpson    Gibbs    Thomas
Armfield    Henderson    Menzel
Cripps    Casboult    Everitt

Warnock
McLean
Murphy

Inter:   Graham, Walker, Robinson, Touy

Out:  Rowe, Bell, Garlett, Lucas, Scotland
In:    Waite, Yarran, Armfield, Cripps, Graham

If Thomas is injured, leave him out, otherwise play him.
Give Lucas his Northern Blues gold pass.
Scotland needs to make way for youth.
We recruited, Everitt, Thomas and Dougherty, let's see what they can do.
Bell needs to fix his hand up, stupid inclusion this week!!
Armfield to show Jeffy what is means to be an agressive forward.
Let Waite run from half back and follow Rewiolt, don't have Sam Rowe within 10kms of Etihad.
Give Graham and Cripps game time and back the fact that they will rise to the occasion like Buckley.
While Judd is out, we need to give the young mid fielders some decent game time.
If Carrazzo is available, consider putting him in and giving Touy a rest in the twos.

Reply #23
Y'day's Saints performance was one of the worst I've seen by any team for years....it was truly appalling. Lose to that mob......*shudder* I don't wanna even think about it.

We have form in this area. #1 team in the comp for playing teams back into form. >:(
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #24
God I hate playing teams like saints. Should be a easy win but u never no with carlton. I would give Graham and cripps a go. Keep docharey in and drop 2e and Lucas.

Reply #25
Wood managed 73 hitouts in the VFL last match. What about rewarding his efforts? He can kick straight, and can take a mark.

With that number of hitouts in a losing side you'd have to wonder how well they were directed.
It doesn't look like we had the advantage that type of dominance would suggest.

Fun trivia fact
Most hitouts in an AFL  game- Gary Dempsey (Nortyh Melb) 63 ....but Hawthorn won the match 32-14-206 to North 15-22-112

I'm not suggested we should expect similar from him if he was picked for us, but you gotta reward his effort. He'd be backup to Warnock and would spend time down forward. (essentially the same role Casboult is playing now). The main reason for his inclusion, besides reward for effort, is to have an increased output in front of goals. In short, he can kick!

Not against the move at all Kruds,
I was more interested in the dominance of Wood, just from a statistical viewpoint,  and wondered why it didn't have an impact on the result.
Just wouldn't pick him solely on the basis of the hitout numbers, and a few folk have suggested that he didn't do much around the ground.
I'm not picking him based solely on the hitout numbers...but the reason those numbers stand out is of interest. 73 hitouts meant he got to 73 contests. That shows some decent running/endurance abilities in itself. I'm sure we're well aware that he wouldn't have won every contest, so he may have made it to 100 contests, winning 73% of them. Shows the kind of hard working efforts that we require at senior level.

As for why he didn't do much around the ground....was probably stuffed for rucking solo all game. He won't have that problem in the 1's.

Reply #26
Try This For Size:

Buckley    Jamison    O'Dougherty
White     Waite    Yarran
Simpson    Gibbs    Thomas
Armfield    Henderson    Menzel
Cripps    Casboult    Everitt

Warnock
McLean
Murphy

Inter:   Graham, Walker, Robinson, Touy

Out:  Rowe, Bell, Garlett, Lucas, Scotland
In:    Waite, Yarran, Armfield, Cripps, Graham

If Thomas is injured, leave him out, otherwise play him.
Give Lucas his Northern Blues gold pass.
Scotland needs to make way for youth.
We recruited, Everitt, Thomas and Dougherty, let's see what they can do.
Bell needs to fix his hand up, stupid inclusion this week!!
Armfield to show Jeffy what is means to be an agressive forward.
Let Waite run from half back and follow Rewiolt, don't have Sam Rowe within 10kms of Etihad.
Give Graham and Cripps game time and back the fact that they will rise to the occasion like Buckley.
While Judd is out, we need to give the young mid fielders some decent game time.
If Carrazzo is available, consider putting him in and giving Touy a rest in the twos.

They wont drop Rowe while they continue to play Henderson down forward......Walker, Touhy, Docherty and Buckley doesnt give us much size with
only Jamison able to take taller players.
Graham was ordinary in the NB's IMO....Cripps should be back in and even though Armfield wasnt great I would have him in the seniors in place of Lucas .....the latter is gone IMO and should not play seniors again.

Reply #27
I never caught up on why Waite was a late withdrawal on Friday. Injury or for team balance?
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #28
Waite and Carrazzo had back injuries according to MMM radio.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #29
Thanks  ;)
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........