Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Carlton vs Freo: Post Match Pain Again (Read 37413 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Carlton vs Freo: Post Match Pain Again

Reply #45
Well I got 4 qtrs of effort, and I'm happy about that.

Poor kicking is poor footy, too many easy shots at goal missed.
Too many forward 50 entries marked by the opposition.
We are also still missing tackles and allowing players to run around them instead of corralling and forcing them to pull up and/or head backwards.

We had the intensity to night and that was pleasing, we just need to work on some of the basic skill and decision making errors that we were making.

Juddy's still got it, Wood is a way better option than Warnock.
We did all right considering who we had out.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #46
I don't mind the loss at this point. We played good footy and weren't embarrassed against a top 4 side.

I don't think we'll miss Carrazzo or McLean next year but Judd needs to play on and Graham needs to play every game for the rest of the year. I'm starting to have faith in Malthouse and our core group of players.

At the end of the day, Pick 6 and a favourable draw for next year is what we should be playing for IMO.
At the moment I can't see Broke going on: being the sub is not the role he needs. He needs game time to make an impact, while our team needs to reinvent our midfield and get a replacement for Judd.

Carrots, on the other hand, had a very good night getting clearances and negating Freo mids. Curnow also did an excellent job negating Hill to almost complete impotence.

Barlow and Fyffe were the only Freo mids to get away from us, and that only in the last quarter.

Similarly for us was Tuohy: he didn't get his usual numbers, but he killed Ballantyne for all but about 5 minutes. That was enough for him to make a mark, but Tuohy really did keep his man to 8 possessions for the night, half on them in the last quarter.

I was really surprised that Tom Bell had only 9 possessions: he had plenty of good taps ons and tackles and chases and spoils and was really quite good until Fyffe outsprinted him in the last quarter. Similarly Graham, who had only 10. He had more impact than that suggested. I think he missed out a bit because he hasn't spent the time in the senior midfield enough yet: he is not the guy they think to handball to yet. He is used to being the primary clearance player to a winning ruck. In the seniors we no longer win in the ruck and Judd, Murphy, Carrots and Gibbs are the primary targets for clearances. Graham should improve as they players around him get more used to him and confident that he will get the job done.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #47
Might only win 8 games this year but we've looked more a footy side than we have for a long while. MM is coaching more to our strengths, we are playing for him accordingly, players are improving, we have younger blokes actually coming through, other lesser types are developing that we didn't expect, which is typical of MM's coaching, alot better defensively, taking the opposition on more physically, not taking as much sh1t, and have system going forward with real targets. Hope Waite can play a couple more years.

We still made schoolboy blunders but there alot more stability and substance suddenly in our game than there has been for many a long year . Get rid of the 3-5 red time goals we still give up a game and we'll be alot better off.  Might'nt have won alot but we've been given more hope than we ever were last year, and up to mid-year this year, where we were fragile but benefited from many fancy come from behind specials that got us to the finals in 2013. There' been some substance recently in our footy, just need a bit more composure. We show when we do turn it on for periods we really can look a good side.

Sides have shown it doesn't take long at all to turn things around so you never know.

Reply #48
Freo are such a dirty negating team, so typical a Lyon team.

And it wasn't just Crowell and Ballentine either, it the whole team.

If I had of been playing for the Blues tonight the tribunal would be more than likely giving me the rest of the year off....  >:D

Reply #49

If I had of been playing for the Blues tonight the tribunal would be more than likely giving me the rest of the year off....  >:D

Irks me that in Lyons press conference he couldn't admit that they were fortunate to win. He talked like they beat us comfortably. We did make mistakes but they played far from their best.

Reply #50
Daisy's best game for the Blues is another positive. He'll be like a new recruit next year.

Chris Yarran is something special, he defends when he has to, but what he can do with ball in hand is just WOW !!

It was nice to see Murph and the rest of the team stand up for themselves. We haven't done that very well in the past, so I see that as a big step in the right direction. We didn't let them push us around or intimidate us.

JK I thought the umpires were harsh on us, again. I'm sick of it. But the only way to overcome it is to  be good enough to win even with their bias.

Reply #51
Mitch Robinson in this side tonight would have made it interesting

If Mitch played tonight we would have won ....  simple.  :'(

You can not play three slows ie Curnow, Carrots and McLean in the same side.

A few things bothered me tonight.   >:(

We lacked the intestinal fortitude tonight, it was hard watching it unfold from the box....

I think we sometimes forget how to win. 

Overall it was a great night at the game, plenty of tucker and drinks in the box to feed a small army.   
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #52
Was at the game.

Make no mistake we owned that game.

Docker at full strength and we didn't have Everitt (for Fyfe) Menzel,walker .

Really happy with the way we played , it wasn't just brave it was structured .

That's an important difference .

Wel coached Mick.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #53

Irks me that in Lyons press conference he couldn't admit that they were fortunate to win. He talked like they beat us comfortably. We did make mistakes but they played far from their best.
Two reasons for this:
1 They were expected to win and they did no matter if they pinched it or not.
2 We arent respected in the football world and other coaches players etc treat us such.
The day point 1 and the opposite to point 2 applies to us, I will be a very happy man.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #54
Twas a great effort no doubt but in the end when it's all said and done if Brisbane beat Melbourne tomorrow they are on equal wins with us so that says everything about our year. We could have/should have won around another six games which means we are good enough to be playing finals football IMO. Still, after the last few weeks I am more buoyant about our prospects next year, I just hope we dont sign Mick until he proves himself, somehow I think that won't be the case.

Great to see Murphy take no sht and Crowley on his hands and knees off the ball. I think the most impressive thing is the way we approached the game, the boys were up and they came to not just play but to win.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #55
Graham was great for a few game player, put Crowley down for the count. Now hat was funny he didn't know who got him. And he also took Pavlich out. Unfortunate for Pav and was just an accident but slowly we are no longer the easy push overs we once were.

So the last 3 games we have come to play for 11 of the 12 qtrs. good stuff boys and MM is starting to understand the players he has.

FINALLY LIGHT AT THE END OF THIS LOOOONG DARK TUNNEL. :-\
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #57
We need to get a few of the younger guys a lot fitter.
They have little impact late in games.
Their skills would improve out of sight.

Wasn't just Wood, Murphy's non pass to Yarran....
Docherty OOTF....
Casboult.......

Get fitter, run out games better and don't get out scored in the last minutes of quarters.

We need to be a lot more ruthless next year

Reply #58
Twas a great effort no doubt but in the end when it's all said and done if Brisbane beat Melbourne tomorrow they are on equal wins with us so that says everything about our year. We could have/should have won around another six games which means we are good enough to be playing finals football IMO. Still, after the last few weeks I am more buoyant about our prospects next year, I just hope we dont sign Mick until he proves himself, somehow I think that won't be the case.

Great to see Murphy take no sht and Crowley on his hands and knees off the ball. I think the most impressive thing is the way we approached the game, the boys were up and they came to not just play but to win.

Reply #59
I'm not too disappointed in the end result as the boys stuck to their guns. In the end an absolute champ in Fyfe refuses to let his season die and drags his team with him over the line. In contrast, on 4 occassions we made bad mistakes in the dying moments, we don't bork out 1 and we win. Good signs IMO.

How far has Murphy come along? Gibbs is getting Kouta like in the forward 50 stoppages where you half expect him to snaffle a sausage whenever he is there.

I was ready to fly over to WA myself to put Thomas down and out of our collective misery but very strong finish. If he finishes the year off with that form, I'll be a little bit less grumpy about the signing