Skip to main content
Topic: Blues v Swans semi final - pre game thead  (Read 70731 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues v Swans semi final - pre game thead

Reply #60
I have admired the Swans work ethic for sometime, but they are starting to tire.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-field-marshal-explores-how-sydney-has-become-very-un-sydney-ahead-of-the-semi-final/story-fni5f5nx-1226715380672

Good article, explaining where they are falling down.

Damn!  These sorts of articles always seem to fire up an opponent of ours.  Sydney are being questioned, and I have no doubt that they will give this one almighty push to get across the line.  This WILL be their grand final and they will leave nothing left trying to get the win.  My concern, is that we might have played our grand final on sunday and might flatline ourselves if we are not careful.  A few of our boys are a bit bruised and battered and may have used the last they had to give on sunday.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61
More worried about our outs this week;

I am hearing rumors three(3) from Sunday's game are very unlikely to start given the short week and interstate trip, and they would have been in doubt on a normal week anyway!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
More worried about our outs this week;

I am hearing rumors three(3) from Sunday's game are very unlikely to start given the short week and interstate trip, and they would have been in doubt on a normal week anyway!
yeah, got a message from a friend that reckons Kruezer is a definite out, but not sure of his source.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #63
Who are t he rumoured outs ?

Reply #64
I have admired the Swans work ethic for sometime, but they are starting to tire.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-field-marshal-explores-how-sydney-has-become-very-un-sydney-ahead-of-the-semi-final/story-fni5f5nx-1226715380672

Damn!  These sorts of articles always seem to fire up an opponent of ours.  Sydney are being questioned, and I have no doubt that they will give this one almighty push to get across the line.  This WILL be their grand final and they will leave nothing left trying to get the win.  My concern, is that we might have played our grand final on sunday and might flatline ourselves if we are not careful.  A few of our boys are a bit bruised and battered and may have used the last they had to give on sunday.

Sydney gave up on Friday night, there's no other way to explain it. I think they're ripe for the picking TBH and our boys know, if we're within 5-6 goals we can come home hard.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #65
Who are t he rumoured outs ?
Judd looked extremely proppy walking into Visy yesterday. Kreuzer will miss I reckon, he was limping badly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66

Sydney gave up on Friday night, there's no other way to explain it. I think they're ripe for the picking TBH and our boys know, if we're within 5-6 goals we can come home hard.

Was it self preservation though knowing that they have another week?

In any case, Im expecting us to fizzle out with a fairly nothing game this week unless our lesser lights can really stand up.

Particularly if Waite (you and I both saw him grab for the back prior to his last goal which was the last time he was able to get up off the ground and jump for a mark) Judd (looked proppy even though he had a blinder 3rd quarter) and Kreuzer (hurt his leg early and didnt run well from then onwards) dont come up.

At least we will have Casboult in though.  He will definately give us a lot, but Im not sure if Sydney is a good matchup for him.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #67
Self preservation is not the Sydney way though, I would hope that's what it was because it would certainly highlight a few cracks that are beginning to appear.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #68
Judd will get up, Kruuzer should get up, it is only an ankle but Waite is a big maybe and will be a big loss. He tackled well, kicked straight and marked well.  If Meat comes in, I hope they leave him forward in the goals.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #69
Self preservation is not the Sydney way though, I would hope that's what it was because it would certainly highlight a few cracks that are beginning to appear.

Is it just me or does anyone else see a lot of similarities between Sydney's 2013 Premiership defence and ours back in 1996? Both teams were considered monties to go back to back at various stages only to really stumble at the business end of the season. We went out in straight sets that year after getting smashed by West Coast (55 points) then Brisbane (97 points).

Really hoping for a repeat in reverse this year, though I'm hating all of the media saying that we're a chance. I much preferred it last week when no one at all had anything positive to say about us lol.

Either way, who thought we'd still be talking in pre game threads at this stage of the season? A month ago, we'd all written 2013 off and were calling for the sacking of half the list!
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #70
I see similarities with our 99 finals campaign. Not a snow flakes chance in hell of doing anyhting, but somehow find form and do some damage >:D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #71
I see similarities with our 99 finals campaign. Not a snow flakes chance in hell of doing anyhting, but somehow find form and do some damage >:D

If we can't win the Premiership I'd settle for denying it to the Hawks.  >:D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #72

If we can't win the Premiership I'd settle for denying it to the Hawks.  >:D

Lol the only way we can do that directly this year is by winning the Premiership ourselves :P.

We can't possibly play them before the Grand Final, and there's a lot of footy to go before that point!

Even if we somehow manage to get over Sydney, we'd have to travel to Freo the next week!
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #73
I think this weeks INS should be Casboult and McLean (if fit).  OUTS McInnes and Bell (not that I think Bell played poorly).

With Sydney's tall forward structure it might be necessary to play all of Waite, Hendo and Jamo down back this week. So Casboult to come in to play forward. McLean to replace Bell.

What could work:

B:   Simpson  Jamison  Walker
HB: Tuohy      Hendo    Waite

C:  Gibbs       Judd       Scotland

HF: Menzel    Casboult  Duigan
F:   Betts       Kreuzer   Garlett

R:   Warnock  Murphy  McLean

INT:  Robinson  Curnow  Armfield  Yarran

Reply #74
Bit kinder weather than last time up there!!

Saturday 14 September

Summary Min 13 Max 23

Morning shower or two.
Sydney area

Partly cloudy. Isolated showers during the morning. Light winds becoming northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day.
Finals, then 4 in a row!