Skip to main content
Topic: Welcome to CSC: 2017 (Read 20025 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Welcome to CSC: 2017

Reply #30
Welcome to the site Pominoz...
Hope you find it an enjoyable experience and feel inclined to contribute on a regular basis. :D

Reply #31
ill endeavour to do my best  :o

Reply #32
Pominoz

I'm blueycarlton just an occasional poster on this and other forums.
Both my parents and their parents were Carlton supporters, so the family's allegiance goes back into the 19th century. My dad first took me to Princes Park in the late 1950's. He grew up not far from the ground and I've been told he knew a few people at the club back then. So my children did not have any choice when it comes to Carlton. When I was 11 or 12 I used to get bouts of tonsillitis and be off school for a week or so and our doctor on a home visit brought a copy of The Carlton Story pub. 1958 to read. I was amazed at the history of the club.
So many, many years later when I stumbled onto the newly created Blueseum,  I was in blue heaven, and as no-one was doing the Pre VFL section I jumped in.

So now I'm heavily involved with the Carlton history web-site, Blueseum (www.blueseum.org)
Blueseum has a bio page on every Carlton player from 1864 onwards, more than 2100 players, plus Reserve and Under 19 grade players. The site currently has over 40,000 images including many team photos dating from 1868 onwards. Pre VFL Image pages, and year by year Image Galleries from 1897. Year by year details with most match details 1864-1896 and then round by round pages for each year from 1897 onwards. Stories about Princes Park, articles, memorabilia, membership tickets, etc. etc.

It's a real treasure trove of all things Carlton.

To all you Carlton barrackers out there, volunteers are most welcome to contribute to Blueseum.

Reply #33
Pominoz

Both my parents and their parents were Carlton supporters, so the family's allegiance goes back into the 19th century. My dad first took me to Princes Park in the late 1950's. He grew up not far from the ground and I've been told he knew a few people at the club back then. So my children did not have any choice when it comes to Carlton. When I was 11 or 12 I used to get bouts of tonsillitis and be off school for a week or so and our doctor on a home visit brought a copy of The Carlton Story pub. 1958 to read. I was amazed at the history of the club.
So many, many years later when I stumbled onto the newly created Blueseum,  I was in blue heaven, and as no-one was doing the Pre VFL section I jumped in.

So now I'm heavily involved with the Carlton history web-site, Blueseum (www.blueseum.org)
Blueseum has a bio page on every Carlton player from 1864 onwards, more than 2100 players, plus Reserve and Under 19 grade players. The site currently has over 40,000 images including many team photos dating from 1868 onwards. Pre VFL Image pages, and year by year Image Galleries from 1897. Year by year details with most match details 1864-1896 and then round by round pages for each year from 1897 onwards. Stories about Princes Park, articles, memorabilia, membership tickets, etc. etc.

To all you Carlton barrackers out there, volunteers are most welcome to contribute to Blueseum.

I have contributed to that site as has quite a few others.

Reply #34
Thats amazing love delving into the history of clubs will be reading regularly thank you amazing story :)

Reply #35
Pominoz

Yours too is a great story blueycarlton. Thanks for sharing and the Blueseum reminder. Our club has such a rich history that we can all feel proud of.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #36
Yours too is a great story blueycarlton. Thanks for sharing and the Blueseum reminder. Our club has such a rich history that we can all feel proud of.

Too True, Awesome Work! been watching some old matches pre 80s etc and its amazing just from video the development of the game, i can only imagine how many great stories you have to share :)

Reply #37
The Blueseum is a great resource that I have used numerous times. It's a great site, especially considering it is only run by volunteers.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #38
G'day, I am crashlander, sometimes known as Stephen. :)
I've been on this site (and a few others) for some years now. I joined because I was desperate to talk about Carlton's recruiting and my wife wouldn't know Alex Jesaulenko from Alexander III of Macedon.

I found out recently that my great great uncle played for Carlton back in about 1868, a young bloke named Azzopardi with Maltese roots who had a strong Scottish accent. I was impressed. We've been Carlton supporters ever since.

I'm a moderator around here now. I've been a member of Carlton since 1974. I was 3 (1964) when Carlton had their worst season to that point. It was then that I decided to follow the family tradition. My father, a Hawthorn supporter, was horrified. By the time I was actively going to games, we were damn good. In fact, the first game I saw live was at the MCG when Jezza kicked his 100th goal for the season against Melbourne.

Collingwood and Essendon head my faecal pantheon. Richmond tried hard for supremacy: I will never forgive them for the 1973 GF, the first  saw live. However, the Cheats and the Meat Pies still managed to drag their way to their present place.

I don't think I have a single favourite player. I grew up in a great time and saw many of the true superstars play. I also used to watch the U19s when I could, as I was fascinated by our recruiting even then. One of my former work mates, Scott Langan, found it amazing that I could remember seeing him waltz around in our U19s as a 16 year old. I also recall Ange Christou walking around Arden St after we had just lost in the U19s, wearing a Collingwood Guernsey. Yes, he was an ignorant kid back then, unaware that his future was in Blue. :)

I like David Parkin as a coach. I heard him speak any number of times live. He could motivate me to walk through walls. I heard Tom Hafey speak also: he couldn't have made me get out of bed even if I wanted to wake up. (He was a great coach: the number demonstrate it, but he never got on with intellectuals, and I am probably an intellectual. :) I am a Maths/Chemistry/Physics teacher.)

My favourite games are many: the 1970 GF was amazing. The 1999 PF also holds pride of place. However, the H&A game I remember best was at Windy Hill. We kicked 14 goals in the 2nd quarter, which lasted about 40 minutes with all of the goals and brawls. Swan McKay got reported after some Essendon thuggery. It stimulated him into kicking 8 goals that day.

I am about as Aussie as you can get. My last foreign born ancestor landed here in the 1880's work in the Beaconsfield Gold Mine from Cornwall. I have Scottish, English, Irish, Maltese, German and Shetland Islander heritage, with the earliest arriving in 1802, to be sent to Tasmania.

I have seen some firsts, but one of my favourites is the AFLW initial game between Carlton and Collingwood. A great occasion.
That Windy Hill game was the first I ever saw, my dear old Bomber supporting nan brought me down from Ballarat to stay with her ancient sister for the weekend, we travelled on the old red rattlers with the steel feet warmers, and the tea lady. Never forgot the endless second quarter, and the all in, what an introduction for a ten year old!!
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #39

I have spent a few days in the bush with blueycarlton (we have the same type of camper trailer and occasionally get together with other folk who also have the same model).

It's great chewing the fat with someone who shares your passion for the mighty Blues  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #40
That Windy Hill game was the first I ever saw, my dear old Bomber supporting nan brought me down from Ballarat to stay with her ancient sister for the weekend, we travelled on the old red rattlers with the steel feet warmers, and the tea lady. Never forgot the endless second quarter, and the all in, what an introduction for a ten year old!!

Aahh the old carriages. I had a day out a year to two ago on the Double Header Spectacular train doing the Spencer St - Castlemaine - Muckleford - Maldon line run on the Victorian Goldfields Railway. The individual compartments, the foot warmers and radiators connected to hot water warmed by the locomotives steam. Standing on the balcony of the front car behind the locomotive getting covered in coal dust and soot, the good old days!

Well worth it for a day out and not that expensive, much better for adults than Puffing Billy.

Double Header Spectacular
Wine and Cheese Express
Ales on Rails

The Force Awakens!