Skip to main content
Topic: The Last Kingdom (Read 13642 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Last Kingdom

Reply #15
Great information mates!

Mrs DJC loves her movies and I aim to please  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Rarely had a problem with Netflix.

Watched a couple of episodes of this show last night.... meh. Vikings is far superior.

Reply #17
We are well away from the CBD, no NBN and reasonable ADSL2+(12Mbps), but we haven't had too many problems.

Many streaming problems are not related to connection speed but the ability of the modem/router to maximise bandwidth use, I've seen lots a problems caused by the modem/router. I recommend Billion or Cisco, at home we use BiPAC 7800NXL and it resolved many problems caused by having more than 20 devices online at the same time. We just could not get cheaper modem/routers to work, home style units just sucked, so we tried the Small/Medium Business BiPAC unit and it hard to explain just how much things have improved.

If you use Ethernet I also recommend placing a good quality Gigabit Switch between the modem and the wired network, this makes a big difference if devices like XBox or PS2 are connected by wire.

LP I have not tried to formally test my network or system performance but anecdotally it appears to be a load related issue, maybe with one or more of the servers in the total infrastructure picture. My home "network" is very very simple and lightly loaded. I have had buffering issues sometimes with Netflix and with Apple movies during the evening peak viewing time, and I still get the occasional bad patch when just on he internet. I'm guessing the problem is with the provider (Bigpond) and may be just an issue in our area?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
This thread is quite topical to me as I enter the last week of the "Closing Down Sale" of my Video Ezy franchise. If only I'd foreseen how quickly Technology would evolve in the Home Entertainment Industry, I never would have put my arse on the line when I signed up 10 Years ago....ah well....life lesson hard learnt....and next week....FREEDOM from the Ball and Chain ;D

Reply #19
Onwards and upwards Crazy. Don't think you should blame yourself for that!

Reply #20
This thread is quite topical to me as I enter the last week of the "Closing Down Sale" of my Video Ezy franchise. If only I'd foreseen how quickly Technology would evolve in the Home Entertainment Industry, I never would have put my arse on the line when I signed up 10 Years ago....ah well....life lesson hard learnt....and next week....FREEDOM from the Ball and Chain ;D

Good luck with whatever you take on now!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21

Mate one door closes another one opens. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Reply #22
Rarely had a problem with Netflix.

Watched a couple of episodes of this show last night.... meh. Vikings is far superior.

Have to agree....The Last Kingdom is very Vikings like with a bit of Games of Thrones thrown in...but not as good and you feel you have seen it before....how many Ragnor's can
you have?

Reply #23

CrazyJ...Sorry to hear you have not done well with the business and good luck with your next venture....

Reply #24

Have to agree....The Last Kingdom is very Vikings like with a bit of Games of Thrones thrown in...but not as good and you feel you have seen it before....how many Ragnor's can
you have?

I haven't seen GoT or Vikings - just didn't fancy either of them tbh since they seemed like they could be a bit dungeons and dragons to me (I stand to be corrected on this). However I've read all of the books in the Saxon Chronicles series (9 so far) by Bernard Cornwell and that's why I'm keen to see the TV series. I'm really hoping it hasn't been turned into a dungeons and dragons epic too as the books are mainly historical but with some fictionalisation!

Reply #25

Sorry to hear that, it seems ironic that audio vinyl and cassettes are making a niche comeback but I cannot see the same thing happening with VHS(Too many HD TVs out there now).

I hope your future is bright, good luck with whatever venture you find yourself in next.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Vikings is good Cookie... not a dragon in sight. Just a bunch of arse kicking, treasure plundering Norsemen and women.

Reply #27
Vikings is good Cookie... not a dragon in sight. Just a bunch of arse kicking, treasure plundering Norsemen and women.

May have to give it a try then Bear.  8)

Reply #28

Yes Bear, it's a great show and I can't wait for the next series  :)

Reply #29
Thanks for all your well wishes guys, most appreciated  :) Saw the writing on the wall 3 years ago but was locked into Franchisors Contract and couldnt get out without significant Financial payout. Secured Full Time work away from the business then, so future looks good now and I get my nights and weekends back rather than working in the shop....80 hours a week now becomes 40..woo hoo ;)