Skip to main content
Topic: The Last Kingdom (Read 13643 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Last Kingdom

Reply #30
Thanks for all your well wishes guys, most appreciated  :) Saw the writing on the wall 3 years ago but was locked into Franchisors Contract and couldnt get out without significant Financial payout. Secured Full Time work away from the business then, so future looks good now and I get my nights and weekends back rather than working in the shop....80 hours a week now becomes 40..woo hoo ;)

Good news matey, and best of luck with the future.

Reply #31
Watched a bit more of the Last Kingdom and it has improved...probably lacks that un predictable story line of Game of Thrones but its easy to follow and entertaining...

Reply #32
Watched a bit more of the Last Kingdom and it has improved...probably lacks that un predictable story line of Game of Thrones but its easy to follow and entertaining...

Take a look at The Expanse. Reminds me of Babylon 5 from the 90s. Big budget sci fi TV shows will be the next big thing after Game of Thrones success.
Keep the Faith

Reply #33
Take a look at The Expanse. Reminds me of Babylon 5 from the 90s. Big budget sci fi TV shows will be the next big thing after Game of Thrones success.

The Big Budget part if they are studio based, and not independent or Pay-per-View, means they will all ultimately suffer the same problem, a lack of opportunity for product placement which fails to attract Free-to-Air interests. We already seen such fate in popular shows like Star Gate Universe, where they changed the plot to try and work a duality into the universe so they could show product.

Most major long running serials are heavily subsidized by the likes of Coca-Cola Amatil and Apple, even stuff like Breaking Bad had product-placement-a-plenty by the end. These corporations pay big dollars for space in high rating shows, the space is auctioned off to the highest bidder and if nobody buys in bizarre fakes products fill it instead.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
OK back on Netflix - will start with The Last Kingdom, then for Vikings!  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35

Is GOT really sci fi?

Reply #36
Is GOT really sci fi?

Fantasy.  I can't really see how it could lead to more sci fi.  Perhaps more big budget action dramas with huge casts and complicated, overlapping story lines  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37
The thing about Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire is that its not so much the fantasy elements that appeal to folk.

It's the story line, the political dealings, relationships and the odd technique of Martin's of killing off popular characters just as you've become committed to them.*

Yep..There's dragons and witches and zombies but they're secondary to the main political theme.

A bit like Star Wars, it will be a hard act to follow.
People will try, but any copies will find it difficult to match the same level of popularity as the groundbreaking originals.

(*and of course the sex and nudity in the TV show)

Reply #38
The thing about Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire is that its not so much the fantasy elements that appeal to folk.

It's the story line, the political dealings, relationships and the odd technique of Martin's of killing off popular characters just as you've become committed to them.*

Yep..There's dragons and witches and zombies but they're secondary to the main political theme.

A bit like Star Wars, it will be a hard act to follow.
People will try, but any copies will find it difficult to match the same level of popularity as the groundbreaking originals.

(*and of course the sex and nudity in the TV show)

Another question is who is going to finish the series now that Martin has had enough?  I can't blame him though; he's getting on, he's got more money than he knows what to do with, and the complicated plot was doing his head in.

I was looking forward to reading the next book and now I'll have to hope that someone else can bring Martin's story to a close while maintaining his style of storytelling.

As for GoT setting a trend for future TV shows, I think it will be the formula rather than the genre that is followed; intrigue, power, conflict, families, violence, sex and nudity :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
Another question is who is going to finish the series now that Martin has had enough?  I can't blame him though; he's getting on, he's got more money than he knows what to do with, and the complicated plot was doing his head in.

I was looking forward to reading the next book and now I'll have to hope that someone else can bring Martin's story to a close while maintaining his style of storytelling.

As for GoT setting a trend for future TV shows, I think it will be the formula rather than the genre that is followed; intrigue, power, conflict, families, violence, sex and nudity :)

Where did you hear he wasn't going to finish the books?
As far as I've heard the Winds of Winter is due for release next year. ???

Reply #40
AGEING multimillionaire George R R Martin has stopped writing the next Game of Thrones book while in the middle of a sentence.

Halfway through The Winds of Winter, Martin typed ’Tyrion looked darkly at’ when he suddenly realised he was already very rich and quite old.

He said: “I was a hundred thousand words into this thing where I’ve got armies in one continent, zombies in another, dragons burning things all over the place and numerous uninteresting sub-plots involving minor noblemen whose names I cannot currently recall. It is, by anyone’s reckoning, a screwing nightmare.

“I was looking at several more months of inhumanly hard graft and even then everyone is bound to slag it off as ‘unsatisfying’.

“Meanwhile it is a lovely day outside and I am an older man with more money than I can possibly ever spend.

“You tell me why I should finish this? It’s an honest question. Someone else can do it if they like, I’m cool with that.”

Reply #41
Where did you hear he wasn't going to finish the books?
As far as I've heard the Winds of Winter is due for release next year. ???

Haha good one Lods  ;) He always says that and then disappoints. The idiot spends too much time at conventions and hanging out with his adoring fans. He owes his fans to lock himself away somewhere way up in the Rockies and just finish the bloody books. To the standard of the first 2. They were easily the best. Easily.

Alternative reading from my collection. If you like fantasy, Sci Fi of modern day apocalypse you probably read some of these.

Ravens Shadow Series - Anthony Ryan. Good fantasy.
Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks. Gritty, bloody fantasy.
Shadow of the Apt Series - Adrian Tchaikovsky. Fantasy with a twist.
Dwarves Series - Markus Heitz. Gritty fantasy. Really enjoyed these. Still need to read the latest novel.
David Gemmel - Fantasy. Pretty much any of them. Waylander, Lion of Macedon, Prince of Darkness, Knights of Dark Renown, Druss the Legend books. Classics.
Conn Iggulden - Emperor and Conqueror Series. Think Caesar and Genghis Khan from birth till death series.
Afterlight - Alex Scarrow (apocalypse genre - modern day). Good, troubling read. One off.
Simon Scarrow - Roman Series. Good hack n slash Roman legion adventures.
James Barclay - Bloody Fantasy. All of them. Start with the Raven Series.
Sarah Ash - Tears of Artamon. Good fantasy series.
Kevin J Anderson - Saga of the seven Suns. Brilliant, brilliant Sci Fi. Think Star Wars.
Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Series. Excellent Bloody, crass fantasy. The bloody nine has to be one of the best characters ever.
Chris Bunch - Shadow Warrior, demon king, and Dragon Master Series. Good and tidy fantasy and sci fi.
Bill Bryson - Walk in the Woods, Notes from a big country
Terry Brooks - Shannara Series ( tv show just started!)
Brett Weeks - Demon War Series.
Ted Bell - Tsar. Modern day.
Peter V Brett - Demon War Series - eg. The Painted Man.
James Clavell - Shogun. Classic, nothing else needs to be said other than Japan medieval times and European culture clash. Ripping read.
David Eddings - all of them, but especially Sparhawk. Funny big world fantasy.
Michael Colbey - Humanity's Fire . Very Good sci fi.
Raymond E Feist - crucially Magician. One of the best fantasy novels imo. Also Kelewan Series with Mara of the Acoma. Awesome series if you liked the Riftwar and other Feist books in this world. Now there is a female lead who is fantastic.
From left field as well: Jeffrey Archer. Kane and Abel, The Fourth Estate, False Impressions, Not a penny more, not a penny less, a prisoner of birth, a matter of honour, first amongst equals, paths of glory.

If I had to recommend books/series as must reads if you're bored at the moment, then read a Prisoner at Birth and Paths of Glory by Archer, Shogun by James Clavell, Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson and Raymond Feist's Mistress/Daughter/Servant of the Empire Series - with the other Riftwar books prior - Magician is a must read. (Pug's origin book is sensational). Joe Abercrombie's books come a close second along with the Painted Man/Demon War books by Peter v Brett.

Enjoy

Keep the Faith

Reply #42
I love his writing but yep....he's a goose

This is today.....

Author George R.R. Martin has announced on his official blog that "The Winds of Winter," the sixth book in the 'Song of Ice and Fire" series of which "Game of Thrones" is based on, will not be out and on store shelves before season 6 of the show premieres this April. As a matter of fact, the book may be pushed to 2017.

"Believe me, it gave me no pleasure to type those words," the author explained. "You're disappointed, and you're not alone. My editors and publishers are disappointed, HBO is disappointed, my agents and foreign publishers and translators are disappointed... but no one could possibly be more disappointed than me."

His statements do confirm, however, that he is still busy working on the book and that it may see a release soon. However, fans now speculate that the book won't see a 2016 release given how much content the sixth book will contain and that it may be pushed as far as next year.

Reply #43

Haha good one Lods  ;) He always says that and then disappoints. The idiot spends too much time at conventions and hanging out with his adoring fans. He owes his fans to lock himself away somewhere way up in the Rockies and just finish the bloody books. To the standard of the first 2. They were easily the best. Easily.

He owes fans nothing.

If he's lost the interest it's lost, nothing will get it back, and whipping him into submission won't deliver a result either!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
 :))

What a drag having all those fans.............they're never happy!
Reality always wins in the end.