Skip to main content
Topic: The Last Kingdom (Read 13520 times) previous topic - next topic

The Last Kingdom

Cookie and I will be hoping this lives up to Bernard Cornwell's novels  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: The Last Kingdom

Reply #1
I'm anxiously awaiting its Aus release DJC. Finished reading the last novel released in the series before Christmas.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
Nothing like a good old shieldwall  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Nothing like a good old shieldwall  :)

Yup, like Saturday night at the Collingwood Social Club.

Reply #4
I'm anxiously awaiting its Aus release DJC. Finished reading the last novel released in the series before Christmas.

It's on Aus Netflix or Presto I was watching the first episode then other day.
Good show ;)

Reply #5
It's on Aus Netflix or Presto I was watching the first episode then other day.
Good show ;)

Thanks Lods, I'll have to restart Netflix.

Reply #6
Thanks Lods, I'll have to restart Netflix.

Since Netflix has come up, what's it like?

I have heard that you really need the NBN to make it worthwhile.  Is that true?

Reply #7
Since Netflix has come up, what's it like?

I have heard that you really need the NBN to make it worthwhile.  Is that true?

I have the NBN and Telstra TV (good Value)
Subscribing to both Netflix and Presto  at present (SBS on demand is pretty good for movies too BTW)
Just occasionally I get some buffering problems, usually seems to happen during prime time.
I imagine it would be more common on the older system...having said that I haven't noticed a lot of difference.
Certainly uploading videos from the camera is a little quicker but just in general performance not all it's cracked up to be.

Reply #8
I have the NBN and Telstra TV (good Value)
Subscribing to both Netflix and Presto  at present (SBS on demand is pretty good for movies too BTW)
Just occasionally I get some buffering problems, usually seems to happen during prime time.
I imagine it would be more common on the older system...having said that I haven't noticed a lot of difference.
Certainly uploading videos from the camera is a little quicker but just in general performance not all it's cracked up to be.

Thanks Lods, I think our internet speeds would be too slow.  I'd hate to have Uhtred's swordplay interrupted by buffering  ::) 

Reply #9
I used to have a Netflix subscription and generally found the performance to be quite OK, but as it became a lot more popular it did fall away somewhat, with the occasional buffering issues. I'd reckon it would probably be OK when the NBN is implemented, but that is 2 years away in our area. Maybe I'll see if I can get the DVDs?

Reply #11
Just get an Android TV Box with Kobi add ons....

EB I already have an Apple TV with the Netflix app installed. Would an Android device offer more than that?

Reply #12
EB I already have an Apple TV with the Netflix app installed. Would an Android device offer more than that?

The newest AppleTV (ATV4) is a big step up from the old one, up to 1080p from 720p, it streams movies directly from network drives without extra Apps or Jailbreaking. Worth a look at if you have an older one.

Just be careful though if you own an older widescreen, it may be 1080i and not 1080p, unfortunately Apple decided not to support 1080i.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
The newest AppleTV is a big step up from the old one, up to 1080p from 720p, it streams movies directly from network drives without extra Apps or Jailbreaking. Worth a look at if you have an older one.

Just be careful though if you own an older widescreen, it may be 1080i and not 1080p, unfortunately Apple decided not to support 1080i.

Thanks LP but I would still have the potential network delays. I'm sure the new Apple device is good but I think I'll wait for the NBN before I invest in any more hardware

Reply #14
Thanks LP but I would still have the potential network delays. I'm sure the new Apple device is good but I think I'll wait for the NBN before I invest in any more hardware

We are well away from the CBD, no NBN and reasonable ADSL2+(12Mbps), but we haven't had too many problems.

Many streaming problems are not related to connection speed but the ability of the modem/router to maximise bandwidth use, I've seen lots a problems caused by the modem/router. I recommend Billion or Cisco, at home we use BiPAC 7800NXL and it resolved many problems caused by having more than 20 devices online at the same time. We just could not get cheaper modem/routers to work, home style units just sucked, so we tried the Small/Medium Business BiPAC unit and it's hard to explain just how much things have improved.

If you use Ethernet I also recommend placing a good quality Gigabit Switch between the modem and the wired network, this makes a big difference if devices like XBox or PS2 are connected by wire.
The Force Awakens!