Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24393 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #120
Was it just me or did those new high tech jumpers look saturated after just five minutes?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
A real concern for me is this;

It looks like the Nthmond VFL structures and tactics mirrored the AFL structures, Teague and a bunch of our MC were at the VFL game as reported in the VFL thread, yet come AFL game time we looked basically unprepared for what Nthmond did!

The mantra of Malthouse was to coach against your opponents tactics, and counter punch with your own.  We aren't doing that.

Bolton is simply trying to get the team playing "our brand" IMHO.

That means we are going to have times where WE are negated and have to adjust.  That in itself is positive.

For those people asking questions, all you need to do, is look at why we struggled.

1.  Execution errors - fumbling and poor disposals.
2.  Decision making - Choosing incorrect options either by opposition tactic, or lack of composure.
3.  Lack of ability to stop the opposition run on at times due to panic
4.  A lack of contriubtion from a few too many players at times.

All of it is fixable, and all of it was resolved for at least 2 quarters of the match against a fancied premiership team with a quarter of the team that played making their Carlton debut meaning a lack of synergy.

Its not all doom and gloom, and the 3 things that cost us dearly are fixed with a bit of time and some hard work.

That means that Bolton knows exactly where we were going wrong, and how we can resolve it to improve and become a threat.  The players do too, and part of that equation is to simply get a bit more output from at least 6 more players on game day.

Chin up.  Theres always next week.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #122
One final thing;

How poor is the broadcast, I switched on Foxtel and it was Lyon's Losers, a vomit fest of back-dooring bastards.

So you tune into Ch7 and it's Brian's Bozos, they make anything ordinary!

So you tune out!

Wtf., is wrong with the AFL, can't they see that the quality of the product depends on the caller?

Further, getting players to comment on games is most self-serving media rubbish. FFS, can't they employ some people that have something intelligible and meaningful to say?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
BT's barracking in the first quarter with his endless "percent gags" was pathetic...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #124
BT's barracking in the first quarter with his endless "percent gags" was pathetic...
I missed the first quarter. How long did it take Bozo to mention how many no. 1 draft picks we had out there? I had money on the 7 minute mark.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #125
I don't think we have the foot skills for the free-wheeling game style, which probably means we are even more likely to lose shoot-outs.

What did you think of Plowman's first game back from long term injury, I thought his lack of pace was showed up last night? To me it's a big concern in the absence of Docherty because none of the replacements are real quick as such!

I would have thought that foot skills are more critical in the Clarkson "precision passing" style ? IMO, you need less skill playing chaos footy like Richmond.

I'm one of the few on here who is a Plowman fan. He looked a little rusty, but he's a good player IMO. But I would give him and all our slow defenders the same advice - do not, under any circumstances, allow your opponent goal side, because once our defenders get caught in the wrong spot for whatever reason, they simply can't run their opponent down.

Reply #126
I thought Plowman worked hi way into the game.
He seems for me anyway, to be one of those players who you don't necessarily notice too much, but he will bob up and take a nice mark or a nice spoil from time to time. But if you watch him closely he does a lot of good positional work that he probably doesnt get credit for.

Reply #127
If we believe some of what is written on here, this supposed "soft c0ck" player attitude has persisted for at least a decade. Which means that apart from a few like Simmo, Murph, Krooz, many of the "originators" are now long gone. Our list has also turned over several times in these years. All coaches, recruiters, football department people and other support staff have also changed. Yet supposedly this problem persists ? All because all of a little bloke who couldn't scare a school girl ? Gee, he must pretty tough if he can hold influence over other players, coaches, recruiters etc.

I call BS. Massive, massive BS.

As I said, common theme since he has been at the club. Yet he is lauded as a club great and an A grade player by some here and in the media. Give me a break!
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #128
I would have thought that foot skills are more critical in the Clarkson "precision passing" style ? IMO, you need less skill playing chaos footy like Richmond.

I'm one of the few on here who is a Plowman fan. He looked a little rusty, but he's a good player IMO. But I would give him and all our slow defenders the same advice - do not, under any circumstances, allow your opponent goal side, because once our defenders get caught in the wrong spot for whatever reason, they simply can't run their opponent down.

Agree on Plowman..looked a bit slow but that can be put down to being rusty as you say....laid a very good tackle on Dusty.
A bit different to our other defenders in that he is a lock down type only and not a rebounder IMO, but you need a couple of those to compliment your attacking types.
Grimes is that player for Richmond.....

Reply #129
As I said, common theme since he has been at the club. Yet he is lauded as a club great and an A grade player by some here and in the media. Give me a break!

Your position on this matter is an object lesson in how preconceptions act as a prism and an organising field, that influence and colour every thought and belief that follows. 

I'm not really sure that Murphy is such a great leader, but that's by the bye. If your belief is true, then Murphy has stooged every senior coach, every assistant coach, every team mate, every co leader and leadership group member, every football department head, every board member ? At no point in his 13/14 year career has anyone been able to toughen him up ? Nobody, even hard nuts like Collins or Malthouse have ever pulled him aside and told him he plays like a girl and needs to harden up ? And if they have told him, then he's stood up to them and ignored them ?

He's never been dropped to the magoos, never been put up for trade, been a captain for several seasons, but has been able to play gently season after season ?

Think for a moment, how improbable that all is.

Reply #130
If we believe some of what is written on here, this supposed "soft c0ck" player attitude has persisted for at least a decade. Which means that apart from a few like Simmo, Murph, Krooz, many of the "originators" are now long gone. Our list has also turned over several times in these years. All coaches, recruiters, football department people and other support staff have also changed. Yet supposedly this problem persists ? All because all of a little bloke who couldn't scare a school girl ? Gee, he must pretty tough if he can hold influence over other players, coaches, recruiters etc.

I call BS. Massive, massive BS.

No it's not BS. Bad cultures linger around.  Bolts is a part of it, and maybe even contributes to it.

Reply #131
No it's not BS. Bad cultures linger around.  Bolts is a part of it, and maybe even contributes to it.

And yet, Bolton has come from a club that supposedly has an elite culture, and has witnessed it first hand, quite possibly also contributed to it.

But now, he comes to us, and Murphy manages to corrupt him as well ? Introduces him to the "Carlton Way ?"

Classic.

Reply #132
I sat thru both games yesterday and they were eerily similar in a lot of respects. The Richmond pressure, attack on the ball, structure behind the ball, fast spread from the contest and overlap run is very good, and it wore us down in both games.

In contrast we look incredibly haphazard, but the effort is generally very good - there are periods of really good stuff, some individual moments of brilliance, but it is still not a sustainable approach. It's impossible to do for 4 quarters.

Unfortunately cohesion and understanding can only be built over time and guys playing together. What worries me [like a lot of people here] is that it is hard to see what the actual game plan is, and our ball movement through the middle and into our forward line remains a dogs breakfast after 5 years.

One moment stood out for me early in the last quarter when on a fast break Murph had to stop, prop, and do a u turn on the outer wing as their was no in a good position to kick too. Good sides never do this.

The difference in ball handling in both games was stark - we fumble, panic, and give the ball to guys in bad positions way more than they did in both games. The number of uncontested marks taken by their defenders in both games was also way too high.  

Reply #133
BB summed it up in the presser:
8 mins of rubbish football resulted in 6 goals. There's the margin.
Luckwise, we kick that goal to make it 7 points, the game is suddenly different perhaps.
Gotta do it better for longer boys and girls, its that simple. Part of doing it longer though is to reduce the number of passengers. After every game, I rate the players out of 10. I have 7 from last nights game that I would rate 4.5 or lower. That's one third of the team, you ain't winning games of football with 7 oxygen thieves out of 22.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #134
And yet, Bolton has come from a club that supposedly has an elite culture, and has witnessed it first hand, quite possibly also contributed to it.

But now, he comes to us, and Murphy manages to corrupt him as well ? Introduces him to the "Carlton Way ?"

Classic.

You ll never win with these two Paul as their agendas are not ours but good luck trying.