Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24393 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #135
I sat thru both games yesterday and they were eerily similar in a lot of respects. The Richmond pressure, attack on the ball, structure behind the ball, fast spread from the contest and overlap run is very good, and it wore us down in both games.

In contrast we look incredibly haphazard, but the effort is generally very good - there are periods of really good stuff, some individual moments of brilliance, but it is still not a sustainable approach. It's impossible to do for 4 quarters.

Unfortunately cohesion and understanding can only be built over time and guys playing together. What worries me [like a lot of people here] is that it is hard to see what the actual game plan is, and our ball movement through the middle and into our forward line remains a dogs breakfast after 5 years.

One moment stood out for me early in the last quarter when on a fast break Murph had to stop, prop, and do a u turn on the outer wing as their was no in a good position to kick too. Good sides never do this.

The difference in ball handling in both games was stark - we fumble, panic, and give the ball to guys in bad positions way more than they did in both games. The number of uncontested marks taken by their defenders in both games was also way too high.

What a great post.

You nailed everything i was thinking!

The effort is definately there, our players as individuals seem like we have the makings of a powerful team but geez we are miles off game plan wise.

The movement of the ball into our f50 is still the worst in the comp and without this addressed we won’t win many games regardless of the development of the young kids.

Reply #136
You ll never win with these two Paul as their agendas are not ours but good luck trying.

No worries bratblue. I have no issue with Spanner or IBWT. Just another pointless stoush on a footy forum. At least this one made me chuckle.

Reply #137
Just rewatched a bit of last night and I have thought about it before, the Tiggers don't have two players tackling one man.
If someone is tackling a player they stand off and wait for the ball to come free.
Our players on the other hand always seem to do 2 or 3 player team tackling. I think this is silly because it takes a player out of the next contest and allows one of the opposition players to become free.
You see it all the time with 2 of our players go hunting the man with the ball only for him to pass it off to his free team mate. It craps me.
U12 stuff.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #138
What a great post.

You nailed everything i was thinking!

The effort is definately there, our players as individuals seem like we have the makings of a powerful team but geez we are miles off game plan wise.

The movement of the ball into our f50 is still the worst in the comp and without this addressed we won’t win many games regardless of the development of the young kids.
Just saw this from the AFL.com live feed which speaks to this directly......

'Richmond was able to move the ball more effectively scoring 54-7 from defensive midfield chains, and leading 67-35 in overall scores from intercepts.'

We scored 1.1 from clean transition out of defence to 8.6. And they were twice as effective as us capitalising on turnovers.

Just think about that for a few moments and it scares the piss out of you! 

Reply #139
The deficiences (some of them) should have been addressed over summer with some hard intra club games.  A brutal coaching approach to any shortcomings might have achieved more than witnessing some of the intimidation self protection I saw last night

Reply #140
I have no illusions that AFL is a hard game, but I also understand that it is eaten of be eaten, you can't walk off the field and genuinely be everybody's best friend.

It's the Clark Kents who get all the goodies!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #141

'Richmond was able to move the ball more effectively scoring 54-7 from defensive midfield chains, and leading 67-35 in overall scores from intercepts.'

We scored 1.1 from clean transition out of defence to 8.6. And they were twice as effective as us capitalising on turnovers.

But how many of those points were from stoopid, cheap turnovers by our players?

Once the ball is turned over cheaply, all our players are generally out of position vs a vs defensive structures and it only takes one extra attacker to all but ensure an easy goal....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #142

Once the ball is turned over cheaply, all our players are generally out of position vs a vs defensive structures and it only takes one extra attacker to all but ensure an easy goal....

Worse still, we force turnovers then give it back!

There was one in the 2nd or 3rd quarter where we forced a turnover from a kick-out. Weitering marked strongly over an opponent on the point of the center square then sent a bullet like pass inside our F50 for which two blues forked it up. Then Nthmond clean up and send the ball the length of the field, and I hear some commentary spud complain that Weitering didn't push hard enough to get back onto his opponent!

FFS, we have to listen to these dweebs week in and week out!

All I want to see is Weitering taking more contested marks and hitting blokes lace out inside F50, just like he did, and not have to sprint back into our D50 when his team-mates drop the forking chest mark! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #143
 Nick Reiwoldt is calling Jones' bump on his cousin a weak act lol.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #144
Nick Reiwoldt is calling Jones' bump on his cousin a weak act lol.

Did Nick has his todger out when he made that statement?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145

When Richmond got the ball from defensive scrimmage they suddenly ran forward at speed, spread, creating options allowing them so much space in their f50. We simply have no idea in the same situation, move it slow, go down the line then are forced to bomb it into the f50. In the 4th year why can't we do that. We're not lacking decent players now.

Reply #146
Nothing in that apart from Jack being a sook trying to milk a free kick.

Reply #147
He is possibly the biggest sook in the game now that Goddard has retired.

Reply #148

I think [but I'm no expert in Champion data] the way to read that data is overall they scored 67 points from our turnovers - which can happen anywhere on the ground. Some of the 54 points they scored from defensive mid field chains would come from a turnover in our i50 that they rebounded to score. But I think this also includes where they take possession in our i50 from a clearance or stoppage, or a kick out.

So there is some duplication in the figure, but I don't know how much. But it correlates with my memory of the game - they moved the ball from our i50 to score at their end on multiple occasions, and I can hardly remember us doing it cleanly all night.

Reply #149
He is possibly the biggest sook in the game now that Goddard has retired.

He was hilarious the other week when he said there is a massive drug problem with today's footballers but there was no problem when he played which was 18 months prior.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!