Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston (Read 27380 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston

Reply #15
I reckon we can trouble the whorks.  Their midfield is thin and slow and they are short in defence.   If Burgoyne,  OMeara and Stratton miss we wont have any excuses IMO.  They're ripe for the taking.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #16
Hawks have played 14 great qtrs out of 16, just 2 shocking last qtrs. They're still going pretty well.

Charlie in to play midfield.

Reply #17
Hawks have played 14 great qtrs out of 16, just 2 shocking last qtrs. They're still going pretty well.

Charlie in to play midfield.

What’s the fascination with many who want to turn Charlie into a midfielder....I just don’t get it.

His main weakness imo is his disposal efficiency and his decision making when up the ground is questionable to say the least.

He is young and trying to learn his craft at being a key match winner forward-prefer he masters want he looks to be his nature game then wasting time playing him out of position.

We have young developing mids in Walsh Fish Dow SPS. They need to be given as much midfield time as possible imo.

Reply #18
What’s the fascination with many who want to turn Charlie into a midfielder....I just don’t get it.

His main weakness imo is his disposal efficiency and his decision making when up the ground is questionable to say the least.

He is young and trying to learn his craft at being a key match winner forward-prefer he masters want he looks to be his nature game then wasting time playing him out of position.

We have young developing mids in Walsh Fish Dow SPS. They need to be given as much midfield time as possible imo.

It's where he played mostly as an u18. If you have a chance to strengthen it further, why not. We have depth in our forwards now so now reason he can't play on a wing. he can be a strong marking target coming out of defence. A powerful midfield wins you alot.

Reply #19
It's where he played mostly as an u18. If you have a chance to strengthen it further, why not. We have depth in our forwards now so now reason he can't play on a wing. he can be a strong marking target coming out of defence. A powerful midfield wins you alot.

x4. Or even the old ruck rover type - just roam far and wide!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #20

He would cost us goals with poor decisions. Good midfield groups are settled ones and one with clean ball users. Charlie is indecisive and turns it over way too much imo to risk unsettling a building midfield group who were drafted to play midfield.

Reckon opposition teams would much prefer Charlie lining up on a wing then deep forward too.

Reply #21
He would cost us goals with poor decisions. Good midfield groups are settled ones and one with clean ball users. Charlie is indecisive and turns it over way too much imo to risk unsettling a building midfield group who were drafted to play midfield.

Reckon opposition teams would much prefer Charlie lining up on a wing then deep forward too.

Um, what rubbish. Massive rubbish.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
Just watching the first quarter of Hawthorn vs geelong and I think we might struggle next week.  This is a tough competitive scrappy pressure game and if its played similarly next week, it will take a bit of class to get us across the line.

Its winnable on paper, but we need to be mindful that Hawthorn have had a few injuries which have contributed to big losses.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23

As I said in the other thread, Charlie didn’t play in the midfield at under 18 level.  He did play as a ruckman but I wouldn’t like to see him getting smashed in ruck contests.

His strengths are his marking and aerobic ability and his weaknesses are decision-making and lack of agility; not really midfielder attributes.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24
As I said in the other thread, Charlie didn’t play in the midfield at under 18 level.  He did play as a ruckman but I wouldn’t like to see him getting smashed in ruck contests.

His strengths are his marking and aerobic ability and his weaknesses are decision-making and lack of agility; not really midfielder attributes.

I think i originally floated the idea a bit over a week ago of Charlie playing wing.

Doesn't have to have clean/quick hands playing on a wing, as opposed to in the guts, but can use his marking and aerobic ability as a link between defence and attack.

Given we've just smashed 100 points for the first time in 3 years, why would we wanna change that by (re)introducing Charlie into the fold up forward?

Reply #25
Watching the whorks v cats....boring as batcrap game... Both sides going with a short kick possession game.   Both sides kick it 1000 times better than us,  if we let them chip it around the whorks will kill us.   More than a few average players running around for them,  dunno what the excitement surrounding OMeara is about, kicking is crap and awareness poor.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #26

Bit rich on both fronts - sure he's been off this year thus far.... but to say he's a poor decision maker per se and not "agile" beggars belief....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27
sure he's been off this year thus far

17 possessions, 9 marks, 4 tackles and a goal all on a dodgy knee.... I think we are all very harsh on young Charlie

Reply #28
Um, what rubbish. Massive rubbish.

Is it as much rubbish as your yearly pre season dribble where you talk up every single player on our list to amazingly high level to then have you backflip after we drop a few early games  :-\

But yeah....my post is rubbish.... ::) 

Reply #29
Just watching the first quarter of Hawthorn vs geelong and I think we might struggle next week.  This is a tough competitive scrappy pressure game and if its played similarly next week, it will take a bit of class to get us across the line.

Its winnable on paper, but we need to be mindful that Hawthorn have had a few injuries which have contributed to big losses.

Evidently McEvoy finished for the day on the bench ?hip flexor.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.