Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston (Read 27324 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston

Reply #30
As I said in the other thread, Charlie didn’t play in the midfield at under 18 level.  He did play as a ruckman but I wouldn’t like to see him getting smashed in ruck contests.

His strengths are his marking and aerobic ability and his weaknesses are decision-making and lack of agility; not really midfielder attributes.

Agree. He likes to take the risky inside passes and turns it over more then he hits it. Just doesn’t have the clean foot skills yet to be using the ball in the middle of the ground where turnovers hurt and punish us.

While his form has been down this year he is still looms as being absolute gun game winning forward-playing him elsewhere is not the way to develop a kid with his skill set.

Reply #31
Generally agree with other comments on here - the Hawks game will be tough. Lots of injuries (Shiels, Burgoyne, Stratton, Mitchell, Frawley, Birchall, McEvoy and others) gives us our best chance. That's some serious talent and experience out of the side. What I saw tonight, they lack some polish, but are still disciplined and pretty well drilled.

Certainly not confident going in to this one.

Reply #32
Generally agree with other comments on here - the Hawks game will be tough. Lots of injuries (Shiels, Burgoyne, Stratton, Mitchell, Frawley, Birchall, McEvoy and others) gives us our best chance. That's some serious talent and experience out of the side. What I saw tonight, they lack some polish, but are still disciplined and pretty well drilled.

Certainly not confident going in to this one.

I thought the Hawks were very average...Cats took their foot off numerous times....

O'Meara? Meh.... Wingard...where?

Hawks are lacking in the midfield and no guns forward or back (Gunston, Breust apologies...).

Siciliy copped one from big Tom - haha. Sooked it up big time.

Our lads should feel very confident about their chances....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #33
Blicavs is the new Fletcher..... Spoils high and late,  tunnels,  gets away with murder. Can't believe a smart forward hasn't really taken him to the cleaners.  Always looks out of position but Stewart ET AL cover for him.

Hawks are tough but slow and lack polish but they won't roll over.  They still have MacEvoy, Roughie and Breust to worry us.   We need to beat them inside the contest.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
I thought the Hawks were very average...Cats took their foot off numerous times....

O'Meara? Meh....

Hawks are lacking in the midfield and no guns forward or back (Gunston, Breust apologies...).

I'd agree but Tassie is a happy hunting ground for them and I'd be hedging my bets till I see who they get back this week.
The Geelong Big 4 mids beat them today and they got nothing from Bruest, Gunston and Wingard, cant see them all being so poor vs us next week.
We should be competitive and confident and I would be playing Charlie Curnow as I can see the Hawks preparing for Harry a lot better than Beveridge did when he didnt play
Trengove and I'd expect Clarko to put more thought into our key players and I reckon Charlie is one more headache they dont need given they have a few players out.....

Reply #35

O'Meara? Meh....

I reckon the Hawks see this as very winnable. On a ground where their W/L is very good, the 2 questions for mine are whether their extensive injury list tips the scales in our favour, and also whether their older star players have enough left in the tank to still play near their best, or whether the decline has started. I can't really tell based on what i saw tonight. They put up a good fight against the ladder leaders.

Also, Wingard can do real damage when he gets on a roll.

Reply #36
Evidently McEvoy finished for the day on the bench ?hip flexor.

Heard the commentary team mention ceglar will be ready to go next week so whilst big boy is a tough proposition ceglar is no slouch.  I'm acutely aware that we are a kreuzer injury away from going from chocolates to boiled lollies.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #37
Heard the commentary team mention ceglar will be ready to go next week so whilst big boy is a tough proposition ceglar is no slouch.  I'm acutely aware that we are a kreuzer injury away from going from chocolates to boiled lollies.

Think Clarkson said that McEvoy will be right for next week, I'd expect Ceglar back in and maybe help out down back if we line up tall again, dont expect Clarko to be as dumb
as Beveridge who wouldnt play Trengove.
Wouldnt be surprised to see one of Sheils or Burgoyne back in too.

Reply #38
Think Clarkson said that McEvoy will be right for next week, I'd expect Ceglar back in and maybe help out down back if we line up tall again, dont expect Clarko to be as dumb
as Beveridge who wouldnt play Trengove.
Wouldnt be surprised to see one of Sheils or Burgoyne back in too.

Burgoyne said today he'd be back the week after next.

Besides, if we're worried about a 35yo just coming back from injury who the f... are we kidding?

Ditto Shiels. Seriously, hardly Martin or Dangerfield?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39
Burgoyne said today he'd be back the week after next.

Besides, if we're worried about a 35yo just coming back from injury who the f... are we kidding?

Ditto Shiels. Seriously, hardly Martin or Dangerfield?
Anyone, anytime, anywhere, anyhow.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #40
This isn’t the strongest Hawks line up in history to hit the field. If they can be beaten it’s now. BB needs to get this into the heads of his players. Bring on the pressure. Run hard both ways all day. Take calculated risks. It’s pretty much all you can do against this mob.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #41
This isn’t the strongest Hawks line up in history to hit the field. If they can be beaten it’s now. BB needs to get this into the heads of his players. Bring on the pressure. Run hard both ways all day. Take calculated risks. It’s pretty much all you can do against this mob.

They like to chip it around, we must bring real pressure to the ball carrier, force the turnovers and then put pressure on their defence. If we can get the jump on them, they have to play catch-up football and the mistakes come.

Reply #42
We've been beaten by worse Hawthorn sides than this so not counting my chickens, but if McEvoy doesn't get up we are a real chance. If the talk is he'll be right next week than why was he on the bench at the end of the game when the Hawks still had a sniff? I rate the big boy so it would be a massive boost is he was out regardless of Ceglar coming back.
If Charlie returns I'd play him as a high half-forward. Don't see the logic in messing with a forward structure that has worked once in god know's how long. Would have to be another 4 quarter effort to beat these guys and I couldn't imagine them missing as many shots on goal as the dogs did.

Reply #43

To be honest, they should be beaten.
They are coming off a day's less break than us.

Without Mitchell they don't have a great midfield.
They also don't have Burgoyne to slot in there to help.
Roughy is as slow as treacle.
Typically they have outside runners that cut us up, it will be interesting to see if Bolton tightens up on them.
Gunston or Breust always seem to kick a few against us. Newman and Marchbank should get them.
Hopefully McEvoy doesn't get up.

Reply #44
@ Rocky

Agree. The Hawks will be far tougher opposition than the Dogs and we will have focus hard on maintaining our effort for 4Q. I also think they will punish our mistakes such as turnovers more severely. McEvoy will be a big factor if he plays.

Very interested to see what Charlie's role will be if he returns.
Reality always wins in the end.