Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston (Read 26430 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston

Reply #90
Stocker was named in a squad a few weeks back so just thought he might be closer but reading VFL summaries it doesn't sound like he's ready yet. I think selection will come down to weather forecast. If it's wet n windy, it's hard to see us going in with Kreuzer and Levi, especially if Charlie Curnow comes back in. Anyone else think we looked pretty good last week WITHOUT Charlie? His form this year has been ordinary at best and he's dropped heaps of marks in a lot of games. Neither he or McGovern have really hit their straps.

Reply #91
I read somewhere that Ceglar might come back in to partner with McEvoy. If that's the case we will need Kreuzer and Levi and hope to break even in the rucks. Charlie Curnow is a potential Rolls Royce, but if he's not 100% fit I would rest him until his knee is right. Bone bruising is a complicated beast, and it will keep flaring up if we don't let it heal. Russell should have the last word on whether he plays or not, but if he plays, I can't see it being in the NBs

Reply #92
Agree Jack....rather play two ruckman with Levi as backup for Kreuzer and leave Harry up forward. They don't have an obvious match up for him. Stratton likely to come back in but Sicily probably gets someone like McGovern. I'd have Ed running with O'Meara this week.

Reply #93
Stocker was named in a squad a few weeks back so just thought he might be closer but reading VFL summaries it doesn't sound like he's ready yet. I think selection will come down to weather forecast. If it's wet n windy, it's hard to see us going in with Kreuzer and Levi, especially if Charlie Curnow comes back in. Anyone else think we looked pretty good last week WITHOUT Charlie? His form this year has been ordinary at best and he's dropped heaps of marks in a lot of games. Neither he or McGovern have really hit their straps.

Sunday 28 April
SummaryMin 9Max 19Partly cloudy.Chance of any rain: 20% 
Launceston area
Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower. Winds northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h tending westerly 15 to 20 km/h during the day then becoming light during the afternoon.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #94
Thanks fly....on that I'd give Charlie another week to recover and bring Kennedy in for Polsen. I reckon the Clarkson/Hawks will make a point of going hard at Walsh in this game so maybe someone like Kennedy can slot in there to give him a chop out. Hawks have only won two games but when you look at a forward line with Roughy, Puopolo, Gunston, Bruest and Wingard it's pretty dangerous on paper and that's where we'll need to be at our best...down back.

Reply #95
This'll be a big test of coaching and player.

The Dawks won't make nearly as many mistakes as the Dishlickers did, they were their own worst enemies. Don't get me wrong, we deserved the win (who predicted a 10gl win  :P) as we applied plenty of pressure and I'd like to think that forced errors from our opponents.

The Dawks will target SPS, H and Walshy for sure (they'll try Cripps as well, but, well good luck with that). Others will have to step up.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #96
Cunningham for Polson

Give Curnow another week to get right. We don't need him rushed back only to play like a busted a55 again.

Reply #97
Cunningham for Polson

Give Curnow another week to get right. We don't need him rushed back only to play like a busted a55 again.

Is Cuningham good to go?  I suspect that he hasn’t done much training while his kidney heals and the Terrier will want to make sure that he is up to an AFL game.

I hope the Terrier applies the same rules to Charlie; if he’s not 100% he doesn’t play.

I think Kennedy is still a week or two off pressing for AFL selection and none of the other midfielders/small forwards impressed.  Perhaps there’ll be no change this week and a couple of lucky boys will get another chance.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #98
Drastic idea...  no change would be ideal.  It's not like anyone wasn't putting in.  Even our worst performer put in 13 pressure acts.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #99

I reckon McGovern has been pretty good, and Ive enjoyed the agro he has brought at times.

Reply #100
Is Cuningham good to go?  I suspect that he hasn’t done much training while his kidney heals and the Terrier will want to make sure that he is up to an AFL game.

I hope the Terrier applies the same rules to Charlie; if he’s not 100% he doesn’t play.

I think Kennedy is still a week or two off pressing for AFL selection and none of the other midfielders/small forwards impressed.  Perhaps there’ll be no change this week and a couple of lucky boys will get another chance.

Can't agree DJC, reckon he's trained full tilt for weeks, just avoided contact....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #101
This'll be a big test of coaching and player.

The Dawks won't make nearly as many mistakes as the Dishlickers did, they were their own worst enemies. Don't get me wrong, we deserved the win (who predicted a 10gl win  :P) as we applied plenty of pressure and I'd like to think that forced errors from our opponents.

The Dawks will target SPS, H and Walshy for sure (they'll try Cripps as well, but, well good luck with that). Others will have to step up.

Agree Clarkson will make sure our younger midfielders are battered about a bit ,
It’s up to Kreuzer and Cripps to hammer a few Hawks, must protect our skinny youngsters.

Reply #102
Agree Clarkson will make sure our younger midfielders are battered about a bit ,
It’s up to Kreuzer and Cripps to hammer a few Hawks, must protect our skinny youngsters.

Not sure they have the real sniper types in their team these days. Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell have all gone, Sicily is just aggressively dumb.  They also have a lot of kids. I think we can match them for aggression. Newman, Gibbons, McGovern are all additions who are strong bodies, Levi and Jones can stand up for themselves and others and good luck ragdolling a 204 cm mountain......and the captain plays very, very fairly, but takes no crap. Bolton will know what to expect....so will the players.

Reply #103

Yet they don't have those types really any longer....

Our big boys >>> than theirs!

Even Weiters is a man mountain these days.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #104

Would be nice to see Casboult clean someone up for once.
I mean seriously run through someone like omeara
Carlton needs to be feared again