Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston (Read 26397 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston

Reply #60
The big worry is that we may end up with a typically blustery Launceston day, which will stunt the value of a tall forward line.  And I would certainly be sending the team out for extended goal kicking practice before the game.  The Hawks play this venue particularly well, and they will be bleeding after their last couple of weeks.

Not a problem according to the 7 day forecast Tonyo:

Sunday 28 April
Summary Min 5Max 17    Partly cloudy.Chance of any rain: 5% 
Launceston area
Partly cloudy. Light winds.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #61
Yet Harry is 5cm taller and far more mobile/agile than big Tom.....and considerably better than Tom (current Tom) overhead.

Hawkins would break Harry in two!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
Hawkins would break Harry in two!

Agree - if he could catch him!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #63
It's interesting, after 3 seasons where a smaller, pressure-driven forward line has been the benchmark, most sides have built their defence around faster mobile defenders to counteract it.  Suddenly, we front up with 3 or 4 really big forwards and there is a big match-up problem for most teams.  Just need to make sure there is some decent delivery from upfield, and things will get rosier.

As Jack Dyer used to say, little blokes slow down towards the end of a game, but big blokes don't get shorter.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #64
It's interesting, after 3 seasons where a smaller, pressure-driven forward line has been the benchmark, most sides have built their defence around faster mobile defenders to counteract it.  Suddenly, we front up with 3 or 4 really big forwards and there is a big match-up problem for most teams.  Just need to make sure there is some decent delivery from upfield, and things will get rosier.

As Jack Dyer used to say, little blokes slow down towards the end of a game, but big blokes don't get shorter.

little blokes slow down towards the end of a game, but big blokes don't get shorter.

ripper quote t hat.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #65
Surely after another non show by Polson and Obrien we have to give these boys a long block in the 2s.

Charlie and Kennedy in if fit.....don't really care who it is but Polson in particular has had way too many chances and shows SFA.....cant play again unless we have no one to choose from IMO.

Reply #66
Surely after another non show by Polson and Obrien we have to give these boys a long block in the 2s.

Charlie and Kennedy in if fit.....don't really care who it is but Polson in particular has had way too many chances and shows SFA.....cant play again unless we have no one to choose from IMO.

Pity Williamson didn't have another two's game under his belt.

Reply #68
Let's not rewrite history - it was 30 points at 3/4 time - the game was dusted. And that margin flattered the Hawks quite frankly.

Sure, they kept coming - that is their hallmark - but the Cats' had it easily covered.....

I disagree. With roughly 12 mins to go, the game was in the balance.  We are talking a less than 3 goal game for an eventual 22 point victory.

They still kicked 90 points, and we have only gone over 90 points 3 times in the last few years.

The cats are solid across the park, and have premiership players everywhere.  By contrast the young Hawks were in the game without 4 of their top liners playing.

It wasnt until Dangerfield scored to extend their lead again that the game was over.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #69
I disagree. With roughly 12 mins to go, the game was in the balance.  We are talking a less than 3 goal game for an eventual 22 point victory.

Yes I agree, there is no way known Geelong let the Dawks get that early 4th term momentum!

Clarkson would be dark as hell on the Dawks letting six goals through during time on in the first three quarters. If not for those lapses in the last 3 or 4 minutes of each quarter they could have been ahead on the scoreboard. They did what we did in the first few games, they failed to control the momentum! But in fairness both the Dawks and Handbaggers had a lot of kids playing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
Yes I agree, there is no way known Geelong let the Dawks get that early 4th term momentum!

Clarkson would be dark as hell on the Dawks letting six goals through during time on in the first three quarters.

By contrast we have form in allowing teams to do that.

They kicked 7 goals 15.  Make it 13 goals 9 and the whole game may have been very different.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #71

They still kicked 90 points, and we have only gone over 90 points 3 times in the last few years.

The cats are solid across the park, and have premiership players everywhere.  By contrast the young Hawks were in the game without 4 of their top liners playing.

It wasnt until Dangerfield scored to extend their lead again that the game was over.

Um no Thry, the Cats kicked the first score of the final term - a goal - at the 7 minute mark - lead 36 points.

They then fell asleep more or less.

Yes, the Hawks kicked the next 3 but the game was curtains......"in the balance"? I think not.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #72
Pity Williamson didn't have another two's game under his belt.

I'd almost take the punt and play him off the bench, be a good player for the Hawks Henderson who seems in rare form this season...

Reply #73
I'd almost take the punt and play him off the bench, be a good player for the Hawks Henderson who seems in rare form this season...

Well, with LOB and Polson in the 22, we're only playing 20 anyway?

But no, our back line looks goood, let's ease Willo into it.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #74
That would be a huge ask for a guy who cannot be match fit given the amount of footy he has played. Henderson covers a lot of km's. I expect Tom to have another couple ofgames in the NBs