Skip to main content
Topic: ** NEW BOOK ** THE OLD DOUBLE BLUES - Celebrating the men of Sturt (Read 5114 times) previous topic - next topic

** NEW BOOK ** THE OLD DOUBLE BLUES - Celebrating the men of Sturt

Hi everyone,

I hope I've chosen the most appropriate forum for this topic.

My name is Angel Fernandez and I just wanted all Carlton supporters (who might also be Sturt supporters) to know of a book I've just released about the Sturt Football Club called THE OLD DOUBLE BLUES - Celebrating the men of Sturt.

The book is a hardcover, large format, near-700-page coffee table-style book (see attached photo) which individually profiles over 100 of the greatest names and identities from Sturt’s famous football history. Over the course of six years (I began writing the book in 2009) I interviewed 120 individuals and compiled arguably the greatest single collection of oral histories from the players, coaches and administrators who, collectively, have made the Double Blues one of the most loved and revered football teams in Australia.

Of particular interest to Carlton supporters (that's why I'm posting here) are the chapters on Peter Motley, Robbert Klomp, Barnaby French, Ben Nelson, present CEO Steven Trigg and a FANTASTIC chapter titled "Hawks, Blues & Mots" by David Parkin.

I'm not sure how many Bluebaggers out there might be Sturt supporters but even if you're not, if you're just a football tragic, then this book is for you. The book is full of stories, memories, anecdotes and recollections from Sturt's greatest champions, all presented in their own captivating words.

Presently, a gentleman named Santo Caruso at Melbourne Sports Books (51 Brunswick Road, Brunswick East, Tel: 0396621085) is kindly acting as my Melbourne distributor for anyone who might be interested in snaring a copy (check the attached link). The book is $65.00.   http://melbourne-sports-books.myshopify.com/products/the-old-double-blues-celebrating-the-men-of-sturt

If anyone is interested in some more particulars about the book please feel free to PM me.

Thanks for reading everyone and I hope the mighty Bluebaggers can reign for you all soon again.

GO THE BLUES!

Angel 

Re: ** NEW BOOK ** THE OLD DOUBLE BLUES - Celebrating the men of Sturt

Reply #1
Looks great Angel, would one of those men you wrote about be my Grandpa Vic Wundersitz? Cheers :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #2
Looks great Angel, would one of those men you wrote about be my Grandpa Vic Wundersitz? Cheers :)

Hi,

Vic Wundersitz isn't mentioned in my book but he is mentioned in another publication about Sturt that was released this year also. That book is called We Are Sturt.

I can send through some information about your grandfather you might not know about if you like?

Best,
Angel

Reply #3
Cheers, that would be great thanks. Can post it on here or PM me.  :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #4
Thinking about Peter Motley just makes me depressed, what a star he would have been, one of my saddest times as a supporter was when I heard he had been in that accident...

When I think of Sturt I think of Rick Davies and Paul Bagshaw....both legends of SANFL footy and Davies had a short stint with Hawthorn......Bagshaw never played AFL but was a gun player who was highly skilled...Michael Graham was another talented indigenous player who would have been a jet in todays footy...

Reply #5
Hi, I’ve only just found this thread, I’ll have to see if I can find the book, my dad is Robbert Klomp

Reply #6
Still got my Sturt laceup :)

Reply #7
Thinking about Peter Motley just makes me depressed, what a star he would have been, one of my saddest times as a supporter was when I heard he had been in that accident...

When I think of Sturt I think of Rick Davies and Paul Bagshaw....both legends of SANFL footy and Davies had a short stint with Hawthorn......Bagshaw never played AFL but was a gun player who was highly skilled...Michael Graham was another talented indigenous player who would have been a jet in todays footy...

I was at his last game... seemed to have forever when he took a hanger.

The accident happened right out front of my mates place in Fitzroy. He was one of the first people on the scene. Nest to arrive was Molly Meldrum. A horrible day in our history, a deeply sad day for the Motley family.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
Hi, I’ve only just found this thread, I’ll have to see if I can find the book, my dad is Robbert Klomp

Ask you dad about his incredible match statistics for the night game that saw him ranked BOG and recipient of a TV.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17