Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 56937 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #331
Bowling crap and dropping catches....we're not up for this game.

Yep, we are hung over from the last test and look ordinary apart from Cummins. Rory Burns ain't pretty but you have to admire how he digs in and has been impressive, I think he will be a decent test player. Root has been lucky and is a No 4 not a No 3 imo.
Need Lyon and Siddle to fire up and support Cummins who must be tired, probably the wrong move to bowl.

Reply #332
Yep, we are hung over from the last test and look ordinary apart from Cummins. Rory Burns ain't pretty but you have to admire how he digs in and has been impressive, I think he will be a decent test player. Root has been lucky and is a No 4 not a No 3 imo.
Need Lyon and Siddle to fire up and support Cummins who must be tired, probably the wrong move to bowl.

They probably are hungover - literally.
A day of cricket sweating the carp out of their bodies and they'll be god to go - Day 2.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #333
And dropping more catches  :(

I know that we’ve had some fun with the Mitch Marsh selection but how on earth does Peter Siddle get a gig?

He is a Victorian but he bowls at half rat power and was unimpressive in his last Test (I reckon that his bowling pace dropped off when he went vegan).  Surely Starc or Pattinson would be better options  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #334
Agree with the Vegan thing but also Siddle's 35 in November - he should never hsave been in the squad.

Many better performed (young blokes) overlooked.

I think the selectors were expecting Jhye Richardson to be in the squad?

The young man's a star in the making.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #335
Mitch holds a sharp chance!  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #336
Are we now singing 'Mitchell Marsh walk on water....'?

:o ;D :D
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #337
Two things.

1 - Why bowl first? Makes no sense at all.

2 - Why play Siddle? If M Marsh is in the side, you can play Pattinson.

Bizarre goings on over in London

Reply #338
Two things.

1 - Why bowl first? Makes no sense at all.

2 - Why play Siddle? If M Marsh is in the side, you can play Pattinson.

Bizarre goings on over in London

3 - why was Starc dropped after performing well with bat & ball.....and his lefties offer much needed variation.

Picking Siddle must be a farewell teat gesture....can't think of any other reason!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #339
I "get" the bowling first bit .... i.e. don't lose this test and England were open season.

2 and 3?  Yep, agreed

Reply #340
3 - why was Starc dropped after performing well with bat & ball.....and his lefties offer much needed variation.

Picking Siddle must be a farewell teat gesture....can't think of any other reason!

Firstly, I think adjusted point 3 is correct.

Secondly, the Siddle selection assertion might be correct, it's a nothing game really and most of the Aussie squad would be flat from hangovers. So a farewell to The Ashes, given Siddle won't get a run in the Australian leg, probably!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #341
Firstly, I think adjusted point 3 is correct.

Secondly, the Siddle selection assertion might be correct, it's a nothing game really and most of the Aussie squad would be flat from hangovers. So a farewell to The Ashes, given Siddle won't get a run in the Australian leg, probably!

What would constitute a "something" game?

One where we want to win it to ensure we win the series?

Reply #342
What would constitute a "something" game?

One where we want to win it to ensure we win the series?

We've won The Ashes, primarily that's all that matters, we can try to win the series as a bonus but it doesn't change The Ashes result.

Winning this test might be like winning a ODI series with a clean sweep, nice but not necessary! As I said earlier I would have used this test to give a bowler like Behrendorff or Lloyd Pope a taste of the big stage to see if they can step up. Especially, given the fragility and age of many of our current bowlers, getting experience into some youth or backup players is invaluable! Why the feck not give Carey a run, it's not like he doesn't deserve it? (I best recommend that to our coach! ;D )

Secondly, you have the opportunity to put Root to the sword if he finishes the series leading a team beaten by the backups!

By the way, I hope Warner takes a leaf out of Buttler's book, and hammers his way into some form rather than blocking his way to oblivion!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #343
We've won The Ashes, primarily that's all that matters, we can try to win the series as a bonus but it doesn't change The Ashes result.

Winning this test might be like winning a ODI series with a clean sweep, nice but not necessary! As I said earlier I would have used this test to give a bowler like Behrendorff or Lloyd Pope a taste of the big stage to see if they can step up. Especially, given the fragility and age of many of our current bowlers, getting experience into some youth or backup players is invaluable! Why the feck not give Carey a run, it's not like he doesn't deserve it? (I best recommend that to our coach! ;D )

Secondly, you have the opportunity to put Root to the sword if he finishes the series leading a team beaten by the backups!

By the way, I hope Warner takes a leaf out of Buttler's book, and hammers his way into some form rather than blocking his way to oblivion!

I couldn't imagine anyone would be content retaining the ashes.
Winning the series has been mentioned plenty of times by Paine, Langer and many others.
Why go to all the effort to draw the series?
I don't think Steve Waugh would be in the dressing room saying well done boys, you can kick back now, we've retained the ashes

Reply #344
I couldn't imagine anyone would be content retaining the ashes.
Winning the series has been mentioned plenty of times by Paine, Langer and many others.
Why go to all the effort to draw the series?
I don't think Steve Waugh would be in the dressing room saying well done boys, you can kick back now, we've retained the ashes

I agree with the desire to win the series, but we already have a 2-1 lead.

If the Aussies bat well enough (and you have to think some of them are due), the best the Poms could hope for in this test is a draw - that makes it a 2-1 series win. 

If we push too hard going for a win in this test, it may end up as a 2-2 series tie. 

By all means, if we get a big first innings lead and the Poms are on their knees, then go for the kill.  But if we push the accelerator too soon, it could go pear-shaped. 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?