Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 53062 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #375
Thoughts of home taking precedence over pride in one’s performance?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #376
Thoughts of home taking precedence over pride in one’s performance?

Yes it's a long tour, and with The Ashes decided the final game is meaningless, it's almost the type definition of Pagan's dancing with your sister!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #378
Last test showed up everything wrong with Aus Cricket. Limped to the line instead of being smart and using this final test with an eye to the future.

Picked wrong openers for tour.  Stuck with them.   Warner,  no red ball time,  showed up big time. Harris.... Seen enough,  bugger off and learn how to read the line and play a defensive shot.  No more double left hand combinations against RH quicks in seaming conditions. Dumb dumb dumb.

Mitch Marsh.... I can see why he was picked to help the bowlers but he is not a test level bat. Maybe number eight?  Made side very unbalanced. Tease at best.

Bowler rotation policy went out the window when required most.   Why pick Siddle when we had two fresh quicks,  albeit neither in great nick.   But Siddle was never going to run through England.  So we just flogged Cummins and Hazelwood harder.   The tactics to the English tail were idiotic.

Persisted with injured Lyon. Critical in home series,  now injured.

Then Timmy won't bat first (I can see why with out crap batting) and can't use the DRS right.   I like him and what he has done but needs to make the right decisions more consistently.

So overall we won the urn but get ready for some mediocre cricket and horror losses with this group.  They're only one wicket away from being bowled out for not many....
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #379
So overall we won the urn but get ready for some mediocre cricket and horror losses with this group.  They're only one wicket away from being bowled out for not many....

There is a bit of a feel about it, Smith, Cummins and Hazelwood won The Ashes versus England, pretty much those three surrounded by passengers, that's about all you can write isn't it?

There is some irony in winning The Ashes yet still feeling disappointed! As a team we look so far away from the cricket teams of old, England are even worse! No doubt T20 and ODI has gone a long way to kill off 1st class 5 day skills! Despite that we did have some thrilling games and sessions.

How the feck a guy like Carey wasn't rewarded with a spot in the last test is a dead-set mystery!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #380
Last test showed up everything wrong with Aus Cricket. Limped to the line instead of being smart and using this final test with an eye to the future.

Picked wrong openers for tour.  Stuck with them.   Warner,  no red ball time,  showed up big time. Harris.... Seen enough,  bugger off and learn how to read the line and play a defensive shot.  No more double left hand combinations against RH quicks in seaming conditions. Dumb dumb dumb.

Mitch Marsh.... I can see why he was picked to help the bowlers but he is not a test level bat. Maybe number eight?  Made side very unbalanced. Tease at best.

Bowler rotation policy went out the window when required most.   Why pick Siddle when we had two fresh quicks,  albeit neither in great nick.   But Siddle was never going to run through England.  So we just flogged Cummins and Hazelwood harder.   The tactics to the English tail were idiotic.

Persisted with injured Lyon. Critical in home series,  now injured.

Then Timmy won't bat first (I can see why with out crap batting) and can't use the DRS right.   I like him and what he has done but needs to make the right decisions more consistently.

Agree with most except the last bit.
If CA are serious there will be a lot of changes, not least the selectors.
Greg Chappel is done.

Warner should be too.

We need 2 x openers.
Burns is 1. Stick with him.
Renshaw should be given a chance
Purcovski at 5 - Not many blokes have the patience these days to make BIG scores
Patterson at 6
Carey at 7

Significantly improved batting line up.

Reply #381
Wade played well this innings but two and a bit scores doesn't make him secure imo.
Reckon they will persist with Mitch Marsh too while Langar is coach.

Paine will continue to keep and captain but his batting isn't good enough vs high quality bowling.
Burns and Warner will open in Brisbane next test imo.
Siddle is finished.. Pattinson should play but given there will be
a fetish for left arm pace bowlers to combat Smith we might want our own to counter with.
Khawaja will play in Aus where he makes runs...I would make changes like JH suggested but it's a boys club selection wise and
newbies have to be bashing down the door to get in not just knocking.

Reply #382
Agree with most except the last bit.
If CA are serious there will be a lot of changes, not least the selectors.
Greg Chappel is done.

Warner should be too.

We need 2 x openers.
Burns is 1. Stick with him.
Renshaw should be given a chance
Purcovski at 5 - Not many blokes have the patience these days to make BIG scores
Patterson at 6
Carey at 7

Significantly improved batting line up.

Yep, I'm pretty much in agreement with that side Jon...Burns really hasn't done much wrong & should be given at least as much of a run as Harris (who just doesn't have the technique).  Warner, should be done & dusted.

I really liked the look of Renshaw...but he just needs to score some RUNS !

Pucowski, yes, get him in for the home series....I think Wade has done enough to get a gig first home test.

And as a proud Tassie supporter....Painey needs to hand over the gloves & get Carey in sooner rather than later (ie, well before the next Ashes series !).  of course, that does come with it's own problem of captaincy.
But Australia has always had the tradition of picking your best side & then selecting the captain......England were always known for picking blokes with poor test records just for their captaincy. (Denness, Brearley etc)

Fast Bowlers.....Core group of Cummins, Hazelwood Richardson, Pattinson.........bit of a distance then Starc.

Not sure where Marsh fits into this if at all.  If Carey is keeper the batting lookes stronger, so soemone like Marsh could be carried....not my ideal scenario though.

Lets face it, we retained the Ashes with 1 batsman & two bowlers.....POMS are in real trouble....particularly when broad & anderson are gone.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #383
Chappell was done as a selector a long time ago.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #384
CA should be very worried about the upcoming summer test series and the attendances.  The quality of the game at the highest level is in a very poor state.   

Reply #385
CA should be very worried about the upcoming summer test series and the attendances.  The quality of the game at the highest level is in a very poor state.  

The quality of Test cricket is a result of the money in ODI and 20/20 which changes techniques and patience of batsmen.

It is why we need guys like Burns, Renshaw and Purcovski who can bat for longer periods.
India showed us last year that the patience and technique of Pujara is required to succeed in Test cricket

It is bizarre that our bowlers have managed to maintain test standards, but most of our batsmen can't handle batting longer than an hour 

Reply #386
Yep, I'm pretty much in agreement with that side Jon...Burns really hasn't done much wrong & should be given at least as much of a run as Harris (who just doesn't have the technique).  Warner, should be done & dusted.

I really liked the look of Renshaw...but he just needs to score some RUNS !

Pucowski, yes, get him in for the home series....I think Wade has done enough to get a gig first home test.

And as a proud Tassie supporter....Painey needs to hand over the gloves & get Carey in sooner rather than later (ie, well before the next Ashes series !).  of course, that does come with it's own problem of captaincy.
But Australia has always had the tradition of picking your best side & then selecting the captain......England were always known for picking blokes with poor test records just for their captaincy. (Denness, Brearley etc)

Fast Bowlers.....Core group of Cummins, Hazelwood Richardson, Pattinson.........bit of a distance then Starc.

Not sure where Marsh fits into this if at all.  If Carey is keeper the batting lookes stronger, so soemone like Marsh could be carried....not my ideal scenario though.

Lets face it, we retained the Ashes with 1 batsman & two bowlers.....POMS are in real trouble....particularly when broad & anderson are gone.

Poms have some good kids in Pope, Crawley and Sibley to blood as batsman plus have a new generation fast bowler in Archer and another kid Ollie Stone who is also quick.
The best keeper/bat in England is Ben Foakes who cant get a game because Bairstow is retained on the mates club basis.
They also have a boys club which denies kids getting games and promotes oldies like Denly instead, India are on top of world cricket because of money for sure but do they promote
their wonder kids early. We used to do that with Ponting, Clarke, Mcgrath, Warne etc but now just rotate one boys club member for another.

Reply #387
I would like to see 2 changes at CA.

1 - A separate coach for ODI and Test cricket.

2 - The coach should not be a selector (or a pseudo captain for that matter)

Reply #388
Paine must go - his decision to bowl cost us the Test match and the Series win.

What the f.. was he thinking? Very little.

Why the f... were Warner and Harris retained? Diabolical decisions.

Why was Starc overlooked for the 125k an hour man Siddle. Stupefying.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #389
Foakes isn't playing for England as you can't have Foakes, Woakes and Stokes in the same side (although they have).

One thing that isn't mentioned is the notion of the test world championship that is going on.   There will be mysterious points and rankings, however it does mean that there is no such thing as a 'dead' test, as the result goes to the world championship.

The last test showed that we don't really care about it (maybe nor does the rest of the cricket world)