Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Pre Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 23215 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Pre Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #30
Pickett was very poor for the second week running and simply doesn't deserve a senior game, Graham will give us more.
If we need to make four changes so be it, Byrne should be a walk up start provided he gets through the VFL unscathed and Weitering might be good to play.
Mullet at a pinch but non contributors need to know that a certain level is required and that it's not negotiable.

Graham will give us more, but he won't be around next year, when Pickett probably will. So persist with Pickett...who BTW missed over half the season being injured, so forgive him if he is still trying to work himself into AFL level. FYI, he is a 21yo, former pick 4 who has only played 12 games due to injury. Give him a go.

Its about the future, not this week.

Reply #31
Graham will give us more, but he won't be around next year, when Pickett probably will. So persist with Pickett...who BTW missed over half the season being injured, so forgive him if he is still trying to work himself into AFL level. FYI, he is a 21yo, former pick 4 who has only played 12 games due to injury. Give him a go.

I'm happy to give him a go, in the VFL until he finds some form.
He and Polson were embarrassing last night, you can't reward performances like those.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #32
I reckon we are a flukers chance and can beat the whorks,  their midfield is shallow and they are a shell of the side they are.   We lack a match for Roughy but their ladder position flatters them greatly.

Big game by the Curnows next week and we can push this mob.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #33

Is it possible, just possible, that on those occasions when people have questioned selections that result in "poor team balance", that maybe those selections were also done with an eye to the future, rather than the game at hand ?

Just askin'. 

Reply #34
Is it possible, just possible, that on those occasions when people have questioned selections that result in "poor team balance", that maybe those selections were also done with an eye to the future, rather than the game at hand ?

Just askin'.

I don't know what's in the mind of the match committee and no one else on here does either but it's fun to speculate.
It's only my opinion, and my opinion is that performances of the standard dished up by Pickett and Polson over the last fortnight can never be accepted, there are others going very close to the line as well but those two have been the most glaring.
I'm no fan of Nick Graham as a footballer but he always gives his best and he's fit and available, I'd even give Mullet another go.
We have to draw the line somewhere.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #35
I reckon we are a flukers chance and can beat the whorks,  their midfield is shallow and they are a shell of the side they are.   We lack a match for Roughy but their ladder position flatters them greatly.

Big game by the Curnows next week and we can push this mob.

No chance. Their midfield might be shallow, and they may be a shell of their former selves, and their ladder position may flatter them, but we're not capable of beating them.

Reply #36
After Friday it would be a miracle if we won another game this year imo. I am definitely not tipping us again!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #37
After Friday it would be a miracle if we won another game this year imo. I am definitely not tipping us again!

Hope you didnt follow my lead Cookie and tip the Saints.? :-[

Reply #38
Hope you didnt follow my lead Cookie and tip the Saints.? :-[

I got sucked in and tipped us - as I did v. the Lions! Don't say it - I'm a slow learner.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39

Just askin'.

I wouldn't have thought so.

Unless in the future we plan to play 4 key defenders every week.
Or maybe only 1 forward.

What i am talking about is basically a like for like type. Doesn't effect team balance but gets games into the kids instead of blokes who are not the future.

So McKay playing instead of Casboult.
So Dow/OBrien instead of Graham/Kerridge
So Pickett instead of Lamb
etc

Reply #40
They will open up our ridiculous zone that has more holes than a Bangkok brothel.
It’s a pity because we only need to play tight on a few of their softer players.
Gunston, Bruest and Smith will do the damage if we don’t lock them down

Reply #41

Spot on, would like to see Schumacher get a run at some point, what have we to lose?
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #42
They will open up our ridiculous zone that has more holes than a Bangkok brothel.
It’s a pity because we only need to play tight on a few of their softer players.
Gunston, Bruest and Smith will do the damage if we don’t lock them down

We haven't got a match for Gunston at all, at a pinch I'd try Thomas but that's pushing it a bit, he'd be way too nimble for Rowe or Jones and Marchbank isn't in great form.
Bruest is also a worry, so is Roughy.
It's very hard to see us winning.

Reply #43
They are down a ruck,  have slow players and dare I sat it,  some aren't the most physical going around.  We're overdue for some very soft umpiring as well.

Play one on one footy, stuff zones,  just beat your man.   Thomas for Breust, LoB for smith,  Jones for Gibson.  Ed to wear Mitchell.   Dow to work off Jaegar.

Lower the eyes going forwards,  take Stratton and Spiffily out if the equation.  

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #44
We won't win because our team believes that they can't.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson