Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Pre Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 22872 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Pre Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #45
I wouldn't have thought so.

Unless in the future we plan to play 4 key defenders every week.
Or maybe only 1 forward.

What i am talking about is basically a like for like type. Doesn't effect team balance but gets games into the kids instead of blokes who are not the future.

So McKay playing instead of Casboult.
So Dow/OBrien instead of Graham/Kerridge
So Pickett instead of Lamb
etc

Can't say I see a lot of like for like about Picket for Lamb, other than that neither has been giving us much.

Heaven help us if Dow/O'Brien turn out like for like with Graham/Kerridge. 

Reply #46
Can't say I see a lot of like for like about Picket for Lamb, other than that neither has been giving us much.

Heaven help us if Dow/O'Brien turn out like for like with Graham/Kerridge.

Not a chance.

Dow will be a 200 gamer IMO.

O’Brien doesn’t seem to have the tricks of Dow but he can find the footy. And the kid is an elite runner.

And neither butcher it like graham or kerridge does.

No comparison.

Reply #47
Not a chance.

Dow will be a 200 gamer IMO.

O’Brien doesn’t seem to have the tricks of Dow but he can find the footy. And the kid is an elite runner.

And neither butcher it like graham or kerridge does.

No comparison.

Agree on Dow...less impressed with Obrien, his kicking skills which were rated high at U18 level have been poor at senior level and his attack
on the footy also concerns me. If you are going to pull up short on contests and be an outside player you have to get it 25-30 times a game and hit every target...
Dow attacks the ball well and his disposal by hand is generally good, needs to clean up his kicking on the run a bit but his progress has been encouraging....

Reply #48
Dow is a Jet, you couldn't ask for much more from a first year player than what he's shown this year. SOS got that pick right.

Reply #49
Agree on Dow...less impressed with Obrien, his kicking skills which were rated high at U18 level have been poor at senior level and his attack
on the footy also concerns me. If you are going to pull up short on contests and be an outside player you have to get it 25-30 times a game and hit every target...
Dow attacks the ball well and his disposal by hand is generally good, needs to clean up his kicking on the run a bit but his progress has been encouraging....

Foxtel did a comparison study before the saints match.

Comparing players with their peers (players of same age and position).
Dow was just above average.
Obrien was very far from and may have been -50% IIRC.

There's an argument that suggests that we are playing him because of a lack of options, and only gun players would be playing from other teams, hence the poor comparison.
That being said, whichever way you slice it, he's poor by comparison.

My opinion is at present he looks to be a foot soldier at best.

Reply #50
Kruddler I heard on the radio David King talking about the same statistics and Clayton Oliver has the biggest gap on his peers. A whopping 89%!!!
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #51
I counted 9 listed players in NB that played today.  Assuming Wright is OK to go this week, there are 10 that we have to choose from to replace those that are going to miss.  Given that there are "requests" for Polson, Pickett, Garlett, O'Brien to be omitted and the possibility of Kruezer to miss, who comes in.

Wright
Casboult
Mullet
O'Shea
Byrne
Lobbe
De Bois
Kerr
de Koning
Schumacher

The cupboard is so bare, it hasn't been built yet.

Reply #52
Need to try a few different things, nothing to lose......

Backs:      Thomas     Rowe        Weitering
H Backs:   Simpson    Jones        Byrne
Centre:     Marchbank  Cripps      Murphy
H F'wards: Pickett       McKay      Garrett
Forwards:  Fisher       Casboult    Kerr

Ruck:   Lobbe      C. Curnow.  Dow

I/C Kennedy. SPS, E.Curnow, O'Brien

2 main forward targets and a medium leading forward with three at the feet.

Charlie and Cripps float forward when necessary.

Charlie has a free run around the ground without being smashed around by 2 or 3 defenders off the ball. Give him freedom for a few weeks.

Love to see Cripps, C. Curnow and Dow in a centre bounce together......the future.

For discussion.

Reply #53
Like that side with a few caveats.   Laziest front half in history, Fisher excluded.... They just don't work hard enough.  Plus, Casboult was putrid in the NBs and getting a game after that sends a bad message IMO.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #54
Like that side with a few caveats.   Laziest front half in history, Fisher excluded.... They just don't work hard enough.  Plus, Casboult was putrid in the NBs and getting a game after that sends a bad message IMO.

Levi played like his match day instruction was don't get hurt, he may be lucky he hasn't been reported, though the incident probably wasn't his fault!

Do you know if the VFL lay reports off the video, I know they use video evidence but I'm not sure if any charges are made off video reviews?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
I don't know the reporting process in the VFL, but he's a CFC player, they'd report us for grass abuse, looking sideways at a seagull or whatever BS charge they can dream up.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #56
I'm more than happy with O'Brien.
He's in his first season and isn't physically mature, at the moment he looks like a boy against men.
He shows plenty IMO but I don't think that he'll have a real impact until 2020.
Cunningham is more of a worry even though he's injured at present, he looks further off the pace than O'Brien to me.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #57
He's in his first season and isn't physically mature, at the moment he looks like a boy against men.
Cunningham is more of a worry even though he's injured at present, he looks further off the pace than O'Brien to me.

+1

Cunningham is a worry not because he isnt good enough, but because he looks like he'd rather not be here.

It might explain why he didnt play more football even when he was fit.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #58
+1

Cunningham is a worry not because he isnt good enough, but because he looks like he'd rather not be here.

It might explain why he didnt play more football even when he was fit.

I think you're reading something that isn't there.
He does some good things and has an instinct for a goal but he doesn't get involved enough in the game and has periods where he becomes almost invisible.
I don't think that it's a lack of effort, maybe he's just not up to it.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #59

Obrien is keener and has a better work ethic but players who pull up short in contests dont win finals and I want his kicking/disposal to be better.
Cuningham IMO has more ability but a lazy work ethic and is another " I will please myself when I go for the ball" type player.

Dow is the complete package of work ethic and attack on the ball...he just needs more experience working with better quality players....