Skip to main content
Topic: Will it stand up? (Read 53235 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Will it stand up?

Reply #120

At the same time, how many disciplinary acts can you recall Ratten dishing out? SFA by my count.

I'm not sure how you can know that Kruds?
Do you know that for sure?

The only players that have question marks over how they were treated under Ratten could clearly be put down to a dose of sour grapes after realising their careers were essentially over.

....and wouldn't  the Laidler situation pretty much parallel the  Thornton, Russell, Bower ones. The Russell one at least.

1. You can tell that by the ins and outs as much as anything Lods. How many times was Waite dropped under Ratts? Waite has a history of doing dumb things (especially against Richmond) and certainly isn't known for his consistency. Mick dropped him, forced him to play in the 2's. Did Ratts ever do that? I honestly can't recall Ratts dropping anyone that was clearly best 22 (as Waite is/was).

2. Yes, Laidler is the same, but you're missing the point i believe. The ONLY players Ratten 'treated badly' are players whose career was over. So sure, they might have cracked it with Ratts, but what has followed shows Ratts was right and their inability to accept that is why there is/was a rift between player and coach.

As for Laidler, same could be said for him, if his career turns out to be over. However, i reckon he probably still has a little bit of footy in him. Even so, that just goes back to what i said earlier, i expect to lose the odd player because 'Mick was too harsh' in what he demanded. So if Laidler is the only player, bonus.

We were always known as a pack of front runners, down hill skiers, flat track bullies who couldn't match it with the top sides. We had our moments and close calls, but we never really made it into the top echelon. Mainly, IMO because we were not disciplined enough to do the hard running...and that means both ways. If Mick is to turn that mentality around, i expect there to be a few casualties along the way. Someone like Gibbs for instance who looks good with time, space and a nice haircut, often goes missing in the engine room when the heat is on. I expect Micks style to make him look elsewhere and test FA. Which is fine, we want committed players. Some, i have my doubts over, Gibbs is one. Yarran, despite being one of my favourites, was always one i had question marks on. To his credit though he has really taken it up a level this year, i'm impressed.
I do agree, but  we were feared by every team bar one (hawks) when we were at our speedy best, wasn't there a year ( 2010 or 2011) where we beat both the grand finalists, i want to say Geelong and Collingwood. If not for a dodgy free kick that wasn't paid to 1AW for being manhandled in the square against the eagles, i wonder where we would be now?

Reply #121

Hardly inexperienced compared to Voss or Hird, both who coached zero actual games before being appointed coaches!

Are you letting your bias colour the facts?

Are you?
Voss has been sacked, Hird is currently suspended, neither could be claimed to have been resounding successes.
Ratten had been coaching in the second division of a suburban football league for two years before he came to Carlton, where he spent 6 months as an assistant before he was appointed as the senior coach, he was hopelessly under qualified no matter how you look at it.
He was good for memberships and he kept the supporters sweet, which is the main reason he was appointed.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #122
@blueavenger, our wins against Geelong and Collingwood didn't come in 2011.  We beat Geelong in 2010, and we notched up our wins vs the Pies in 2012.

In our good year, the Pies beat us easily twice, and Geelong spanked us at Etihad.  We got an almost win against Geelong with Warnock missing from thirty out at the G with the last kick of the game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #123
Warnock was actually around 10m out e should have won that game.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #124

IIRC, that was the game he copped a heavy whack on the scone. Nevertheless, that kick was beyond terrible. Wonder if the boys give him a gentle reminder from time to time.

Reply #125

IIRC, that was the game he copped a heavy whack on the scone. Nevertheless, that kick was beyond terrible. Wonder if the boys give him a gentle reminder from time to time.
He ended up being concussed and missed the next week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #126
How the Geelong player wasn't cited for the crude "spoil" was beyond me at the time.   No wonder he was concussed.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #127
It's true the Cats player (I think it may have been Corey) realised he could get nowhere near the ball to spoil so just whacked him in the face. Warnock being the big dufuss he is wanted to play hero and take the kick. Betts was next in line, he would've eaten that shot for breakfast.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #128
The bloke who hit Warnock was Jimmy Bartel.

I was in that pocket with a Geelong member mate of mine and she went sick that he even received a free kick. It wasn't until the replay that we saw the contact, it wasn't until afterwards we realised how bad he was. Spent 2 nights in hospital and missed the next week.

Would've been a good idea to NOT take the kick, but if you were in the situation to win the game would you pass it up? You'd generally back yourself every time.

Reply #129
It's true the Cats player (I think it may have been Corey) realised he could get nowhere near the ball to spoil so just whacked him in the face. Warnock being the big dufuss he is wanted to play hero and take the kick. Betts was next in line, he would've eaten that shot for breakfast.

You are correct it was a Corey Enright, a round arm spoil from behind copped Warnock in the side of the head.

Linked HERE.

In any case, I think Warnock's hospital stay was due to fainting under pressure and not related to the hit! He is just a spud kick for goal under pressure as has been proven multiple times since! Sphincter tightens, limbs go wobbly and gravity does the job leaving no blood at brain level!  ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130

IIRC, that was the game he copped a heavy whack on the scone. Nevertheless, that kick was beyond terrible. .

Recent evidence suggests the whack to the head probably had little to do with the miss.

Reply #131

IIRC, that was the game he copped a heavy whack on the scone. Nevertheless, that kick was beyond terrible. .

Recent evidence suggests the whack to the head probably had little to do with the miss.

I actually LOL'd at that.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #132
Interesting Andrew Walker said on SEN this morning that after the Melbourne game they all got together and agreed they play their best football when they take the game on and vowed to do so from now on. So there is the change I guess.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #133
Interesting Andrew Walker said on SEN this morning that after the Melbourne game they all got together and agreed they play their best football when they take the game on and vowed to do so from now on. So there is the change I guess.

Thats not a change in the game plan, that is a change in the execution of it. Which is essentially the players pulling their fingers out and having a go.

Mick never said, take it slow. The players were low on confidence and didn't want to make mistakes, so they didn't take any risks and tried playing it safe.

The moment they got on the same page and ran to make position, the easier it got for them to take the game on.

Reply #134
You don't know what Mick said. From my perspective he was holding them back, he gave them some leeway and look at the results. Well done to Mick.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!