Skip to main content
Topic: Will it stand up? (Read 53233 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Will it stand up?

Reply #75
Interesting numbers, perhaps its not as simple as it looked from my viewpoint and the numbers (whilst do not tell everything) contradict what I saw on Sunday. Happy to admit that but Something fundamentally changed though. that much was obvious.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #76
Thought it was clear as day we moved the ball quicker and played on as quick as we could. That was the change I saw.

Reply #77
Also I think the change in play was far more prevalent early in the game, I noticed when we stagnated late in the third quarter we were moving the ball slowly and out wide.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #78
I didn't notice much difference in the style of play, we still went the boundary the vast majority of the time.

Difference yesterday was our intensity, work rate, we hit targets and converted in front of goal.

Warnock not leaving us a man short after the bounce was also a huge bonus.

nailed it.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #79
Also I think the change in play was far more prevalent early in the game, I noticed when we stagnated late in the third quarter we were moving the ball slowly and out wide.

Yes it was pretty self evident, the contrast in one game between two modes of play is obvious.

A good question is could it be deliberate like Nthmond's apparent 30 point brake foot?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
It better not be couldn't think of anything worse TBH.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #81
It actually concerns me a bit (a lot) if we didn't do anything radically different ???

It means that a lapse in concentration and intensity and we're back to the Melbourne and Essendon results.

Now subsequent form has shown both those sides are mediocre at best.
Really good sides will test our ability to apply that level of intensity and if we fail to come up that could get really ugly.

Reply #82
Concerns me too Lods. The difference between the dogs and dees game was effort.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #83
It actually concerns me a bit (a lot) f we didn't do anything radically different ???

It means that a lapse in concentration and intensity and we're back to the Melbourne and Essendon results.

Really good sides will test our ability to apply that level of intensity and if we fail to come up that could get really ugly.

What concerns me is we should be 3-2 MINIMUM, (possibly even 4-1) with the rest of the season to look forward too.

As it stands the season is just about cooked FOR NO GOOD REASON.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #84
It actually concerns me a bit (a lot) f we didn't do anything radically different ???

A lapse in concentration and intensity costs any side games, the better sides have fewer lapses and more consistent skills.
We played poorly against Essendon and Melbourne, against Richmond we simply failed to convert our opportunities, we did against Footscray and it was our best effort for the year so far but Footscray still managed to kick 90 points.
We are an average or slightly below average team, there will be more losses and some are likely to be heavy.
At the end of this season we'll need to cut the list again but at least now with the likes of Bell, Cripps, Docherty, Buckley and Menzel coming through we have some promising youngsters to build on, if one or two others step up it will be all the better.
A few years ago it was Yarran and Garlett then daylight.
Malthouse is the man for the job, but it will take him a while.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #85
It actually concerns me a bit (a lot) if we didn't do anything radically different ???

Those lapses are my big worry also, and our great challenge is to get them out of our game. We've had the problem for a few years now - one week chocolates, boiled lollies the next - hard to believe its the same team.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #86

Whilst it is worrying that we could slip back without keeping up the intensity, i think it is encouraging to know that
a) The game plan works when the players follow it
b) The focus is put squarely on the players and those who don't put in, will be exposed. Thus, it should discourage lazy efforts.

If we can continue with the effort, we can clearly see which areas we need to target come trade/draft time. With a bit of luck, we won't have to go through rebuild mode and start again.

Reply #87

Whilst it is worrying that we could slip back without keeping up the intensity, i think it is encouraging to know that
b) The focus is put squarely on the players and those who don't put in, will be exposed. Thus, it should discourage lazy efforts.

If we can continue with the effort, we can clearly see which areas we need to target come trade/draft time. With a bit of luck, we won't have to go through rebuild mode and start again.

It would appear then that this is a game plan that requires a physically and mentally demanding effort.
Full effort..... it succeeds
A less than full effort and..... it comes unstuck.
No in-between.
We'll certainly find out about the character of our list...those that are left standing.

That in itself presents a problem for the coaching group, and those concerned with list management, because maintaining that type of intensity will put stress on the dynamics of the team as players drop off the pace. There will be some that won't make it........ either through injury or mental fatigue.
On the days when we don't come to play we will be punished.
....and it's perfectly valid reasoning to suggest that this is exactly what we need to know so that we can make decisions on players.
Where it might become a problem is if some of our more skilful players don't handle that pressure, while some of our less skilful prove themselves the best at playing the 'hard' game.

Reply #88

It would appear then that this is a game plan that requires a physically and mentally demanding effort.
Full effort..... it succeeds
A less than full effort and..... it comes unstuck.
No in-between.
We'll certainly find out about the character of our list...those that are left standing.

That in itself presents a problem for the coaching group, and those concerned with list management, because maintaining that type of intensity will put stress on the dynamics of the team as players drop off the pace. There will be some that won't make it........ either through injury or mental fatigue.
On the days when we don't come to play we will be punished.
....and it's perfectly valid reasoning to suggest that this is exactly what we need to know so that we can make decisions on players.
Where it might become a problem is if some of our more skilful players don't handle that pressure, while some of our less skilful prove themselves the best at playing the 'hard' game.

I agree that it will stress the players and the team. We might lose some players because of it.

But...
Do we want to molly coddle them like under Ratts and become an ok team without really taking it to the top 4 teams?
or
Do we want to create a group of battle hardened players that are capable of carrying out a game plan that is capable of winning you a flag?

Mick breeds a culture that performs in big games. Something that we have lacked in the last decade. Honourable losses can only take you so far.
What we see from teams like the Cats and Hawks are players who put in each and every week...and they get results. The kids come into that culture and don't know any other way.

This game plan, despite supporter backlash, is capable of winning you a flag. We need to ensure we have the list (players with desire) to carry it out and get us that flag.

Reply #89
But...
Do we want to molly coddle them like under Ratts and become an ok team without really taking it to the top 4 teams?
or

Explain to me where this comes from, I haven't heard this one before?
The Force Awakens!