Skip to main content
Topic: Will it stand up? (Read 53239 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Will it stand up?

Reply #90
But...
Do we want to molly coddle them like under Ratts and become an ok team without really taking it to the top 4 teams?
or

Explain to me where this comes from, I haven't heard this one before?

Ratten didn't allow them to tackle in the preseason... No wait....

Reply #91
But...
Do we want to molly coddle them like under Ratts and become an ok team without really taking it to the top 4 teams?
or

Ratten didn't allow them to tackle in the preseason... No wait....

Actually, I had heard complaints about the opposite from the likes of Garlett and Yarran when they were newbies.

As well as some rumors allegedly spread by the disgruntled TBird about archaic brutal training practices initiated by Ratten. Things like boxing, 100x100s, etc., etc..

I expect the truth probably sits in the middle ground somewhere!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92

This game plan, despite supporter backlash, is capable of winning you a flag. We need to ensure we have the list (players with desire) to carry it out and get us that flag.

But we supporters and members need to be patient, even though our patience has been well and truly tested, it won't happen overnight.
Historically teams rarely come from outside the eight, which is where we finished last season, and win a flag within two years or even three.
With very few exceptions our players need to learn how to win finals.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #93
Footy shows saying we played on 10% more often.

Does that constitute a change in thinking instead of holding, thinking, kicking. ?
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #94
Stats don't lie.

Stats may not lie but they can be misinterpreted, misleading, misrepresent the facts or miss out on critical factors.

Are there comparative stats on the number of times our key forwards mark at halfback and direct the ball through the centre of the ground?  How about the percentage of time we play one on one defence?  What about the percentage of time we have an extra player behind the ball or how long we play with seven forwards? How often do we play on?  How many times do we kick backwards?  At what point is the ball transferred from the boundary to the corridor?  How many of our forward 50 entries were directed to the pockets and how many were centred?

While the quoted stats indicate that there isn't a great difference between how we played against Footscray and in our losses, Blind Freddie could see that the gamestyle was significantly different.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #95
Yep

A player can go around the boundary line to a contest because it's a directive and the ball comes back over his head.
He can go around the boundary line because a player has run hard to make space and plays on and kicks a goal.

Shows in the stats he's gone around the  boundary 100% but two totally different situations with two totally different outcomes.

There are too many variables in statistics.
The more open the ground and at the whim of weather conditions the more variable,

Our two worst performances this year have been at the MCG
Our best at Docklands...right there is a variable

Reply #96

Does that constitute a change in thinking instead of holding, thinking, kicking. ?

It can also mean we hit our targets more accurately and players were in space and on the move when they received the ball, and that we ran to support better and gave more options.
I wouldn't read much into it.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #97

It can also mean we hit our targets more accurately and players were in space and on the move when they received the ball, and that we ran to support better and gave more options.
I wouldn't read much into it.

I just read it as taking the first options and honouring leads and options.

I did note a few times we seemed to play on by hand to a guy running past when it wasn't really a great option.

Don't care really as long as we don't look like dear in the headlights.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #98
Don't care really as long as we don't look like deer in the headlights.*

That pretty well sums it up  :)

*edited by spelling police
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #99
But...
or

Ratten wanted to be friends with everyone and couldn't make the tough calls.*
We held onto average players too long, didn't drop players for discipline reasons and was generally very 'vanilla'.
Why that is usually god for team harmony, it doesn't do much to increase drive and motivate to the next level.

*Fev was traded as a club decision headed by the board and Swann

Reply #101

Not sure Thornton, Russell and Bower are on his Christmas card list

History showed that none of them had any success at other clubs and that we basically held onto them for too long. If they cracked it with Ratts its because they overrated themselves and didn't like hearing the truth.

Reply #102
But...
or

We held onto average players too long, didn't drop players for discipline reasons and was generally very 'vanilla'.
Why that is usually god for team harmony, it doesn't do much to increase drive and motivate to the next level.

So it's a rumor about Ratten then?

I have no problem people criticising Ratten if that accusation is true, but MM banned tackling in his first pre-season at the club, don't you recall?

A double standard it seems!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #103
Hang on boys it's raining outside let's take training indoors.

The rumour that Kruddler is alluding to has come from many different places over the journey.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #104

Talk about re-writing history :o

Ratten was criticised at the time for being too hard on the players.

As for holding on to players for too long, we shed 9, 9, 11, 11 and 6 players in 2007-2012 respectively.