Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 6 2022 Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 1696 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 6 2022 Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #15
Dow started like a house on fire... then after half time, nada.

My thoughts exactly, Spotted One re Dow... just no intensity unless he's got the aggot.

Love the games from Willo, Cincotta, Radanovic, Kemp till half time though he didn't have much to do! Hayes started a little slower this week but took over from Dow. Mirkov was good, encouraging signs from Cripps, Fogarty made some terrible errors but worked hard, Boyd okay - he appears to be more of a small forward than defender (though he played as a defender but when around the midfield and up forward actually looked more at home!). Philp was quiet though what he did he did well. Liked Motlop's game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
Just noticed we sit 2nd on the VFL ladder. Been a bit of a pleasant change this year so far all round.

I do say "so far" though as I still bear 20yo scars...haha.

Reply #17
Good to see Jed Anderson languish in the VFL, at least he won't be dry humping Cripps or Walsh tonight!
Coming back from injury, but he only had 13 possessions against a midfield dominated by VFL listed players.

Dow had 32 possessions, 3 tackles and 7 clearances.
Will Hayes had 31 possessions, 3 tackles and 4 clearances.
Zavier Maher had 21 possessions, 2 tackles and 4 clearances.
Joel Trudgeon had possessions, 5 tackles and 4 clearances.
Ned Cahill had 19 possessions.
Only 1 AFL listed player in that group.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
Coming back from injury, but he only had 13 possessions against a midfield dominated by VFL listed players.

Dow had 32 possessions, 3 tackles and 7 clearances.
Will Hayes had 31 possessions, 3 tackles and 4 clearances.
Zavier Maher had 21 possessions, 2 tackles and 4 clearances.
Joel Trudgeon had possessions, 5 tackles and 4 clearances.
Ned Cahill had 19 possessions.
Only 1 AFL listed player in that group.

...and Dow had about 26 of those possessions by half time.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
The stats have been updated. I'll use the updated figures from now on:
[1] We saw the best and the worst of Paddy Dow yesterday. He got the ball a huge number of times, mainly in the first 3 quarters. He ended up with 34 possessions, where he had 32 to 3/4 time. He did some excellent clearance work, but his kicks often didn't hit targets. The negative side of his game was OK, but he doesn't chase hard enough for mine. He had tackles, but they were all in the packs. he also doesn't get the ball enough when he isn't in the centre square.
For all that, I think he does need to be rewarded with a senior game.
[2] Our 2's don't have the best disposal, but they do work pretty hard. You can really see the game style our coaching staff are trying to instil into our team. We need to be really fit to play that way, and the 2's consistently overrun teams late in games.
[3] Will Hayes is a vanilla player. He doesn't have a huge number of weapons. He isn't going to take pack marks, for example. But, by God, he wants that pill. He gets into the right spots and he keeps working. I am very happy to see him playing for us, and coaching for us.
I don't know if he has the weapons required for AFL. He isn't super quick or super strong and his kicking is less than perfect, but of all the train-on players we have, he has shown the most and he keeps on doing it, week in, week out. he has been a marvellous pick-up.
[4] Zavier Maher is an interesting player. If he could get his disposal right, he could be a senior footballer. But his kicks are inconsistent, and he does have periods where he doesn't get near the pill. I am warming to Maher: I was quite disappointed in him last season.
[5] I liked Kemp's game in the first half. He looked comfortable in defence and he held his marks. He made one terrible error, but otherwise was very solid. Last week the ball hit his hands a lot more than it did this week, but his hands weren't there. I would like to see more of him, to be honest, as a defender rather than a forward.
[6] This week was a really good week for our VFL lads. Stefan Radovanovic had one of his best games and had 23 possessions. He took some telling marks. Alex Cincotta demonstrated why we wanted to keep him: his attack on the ball was first class, and his smother, which led to a Motlop goal, was brilliant. Handley, Trudgeon, Crocker and Cahill did important things at important times. Cahill probably doesn't get the ball enough, but he makes goals from nothing. Crocker should have had 5 or 6. That last effort, playing on while the siren was sounding, looked poor. But the rest was good.
[7] Mirkov has a long way to go, but he is adding to his game every week. He needs another 10 kg of muscle to deal with the gorillas, but he is developing nicely.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #20
I reckon Radovanovic is a better prospect than Parks, something about him makes me think he could play senior footy and adapt real quick. Very mature, strong in the body and can look after himself, needs to work on his kicking but I'd be happy to see him as a rookie. Crocker hasnt done much wrong since he joined us in the VFL, been real unlucky not to get another shot at senior footy.

Reply #21
I think Rado and Crocker both lack AFL pace.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Disagree on Crocker who is essentially a midfielder now turned a smaller 3rd tall forward...Radovanic isnt quick but is strong in the body and thats where I see him being better than say Parks who just get moved too easily in marking contests.

Reply #23
The stats have been updated. I'll use the updated figures from now on:
[1] We saw the best and the worst of Paddy Dow yesterday. He got the ball a huge number of times, mainly in the first 3 quarters. He ended up with 34 possessions, where he had 32 to 3/4 time. He did some excellent clearance work, but his kicks often didn't hit targets. The negative side of his game was OK, but he doesn't chase hard enough for mine. He had tackles, but they were all in the packs. he also doesn't get the ball enough when he isn't in the centre square.
For all that, I think he does need to be rewarded with a senior game.
[2] Our 2's don't have the best disposal, but they do work pretty hard. You can really see the game style our coaching staff are trying to instil into our team. We need to be really fit to play that way, and the 2's consistently overrun teams late in games.
[3] Will Hayes is a vanilla player. He doesn't have a huge number of weapons. He isn't going to take pack marks, for example. But, by God, he wants that pill. He gets into the right spots and he keeps working. I am very happy to see him playing for us, and coaching for us.
I don't know if he has the weapons required for AFL. He isn't super quick or super strong and his kicking is less than perfect, but of all the train-on players we have, he has shown the most and he keeps on doing it, week in, week out. he has been a marvellous pick-up.
[4] Zavier Maher is an interesting player. If he could get his disposal right, he could be a senior footballer. But his kicks are inconsistent, and he does have periods where he doesn't get near the pill. I am warming to Maher: I was quite disappointed in him last season.
[5] I liked Kemp's game in the first half. He looked comfortable in defence and he held his marks. He made one terrible error, but otherwise was very solid. Last week the ball hit his hands a lot more than it did this week, but his hands weren't there. I would like to see more of him, to be honest, as a defender rather than a forward.
[6] This week was a really good week for our VFL lads. Stefan Radovanovic had one of his best games and had 23 possessions. He took some telling marks. Alex Cincotta demonstrated why we wanted to keep him: his attack on the ball was first class, and his smother, which led to a Motlop goal, was brilliant. Handley, Trudgeon, Crocker and Cahill did important things at important times. Cahill probably doesn't get the ball enough, but he makes goals from nothing. Crocker should have had 5 or 6. That last effort, playing on while the siren was sounding, looked poor. But the rest was good.
[7] Mirkov has a long way to go, but he is adding to his game every week. He needs another 10 kg of muscle to deal with the gorillas, but he is developing nicely.

Agree with all of this

The other player that I’ve been impressed with is Cody Hirst (spelling?) - slightly built but has a knack of being in the right place at the right time and generally makes good decisions under pressure

Reply #24
Crockers pace is between his ears. He is a footballer who thinks quicker than those around him.
I wanted to pick him up last year instead of Boyd and would happily do the same this year.....although he is less of a need now with the development of Durdin and addition of Motlop.

Reply #25
Agree with all of this

The other player that I’ve been impressed with is Cody Hirst (spelling?) - slightly built but has a knack of being in the right place at the right time and generally makes good decisions under pressure
Hirst has a lot going for him. He never gets the number of possessions I think he could do, especially the way he was touted early in his career. However, what he does, he does well. His disposal is better that Will Hayes and Zavier Maher and he is capable of playing a lot of roles. I wouldn't be expecting him to be a senior footballer, but he is a strong VFL player who helps make up a solid unit.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #26
For mine, the best of our VFL listed players that could develop into AFL players are Stef Radovanovic (liked him a lot last year) and Ned Cahill. Ben Crocker is thereabouts. Just turned 25 so he's worth a rookie shot. Fast in his movements and footy IQ I think.

Reply #27
For mine, the best of our VFL listed players that could develop into AFL players are Stef Radovanovic (liked him a lot last year) and Ned Cahill. Ben Crocker is thereabouts. Just turned 25 so he's worth a rookie shot. Fast in his movements and footy IQ I think.
Cahill is a good prospect, think he is ex Essendon, his main problem will be our glut of small forwards and probably needs to look at another AFL club as a rookie if he can noticed more at VFL level.