Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 11: Carlton vs. the Drug Cheats (Read 20813 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 11: Carlton vs. the Drug Cheats

Reply #90
I am a moderator and I have one statement: if you can't play together nicely, then don't post! No more warnings, either. If you can't play by the rules, then there will be suspensions or bans.

Yes, today was a disaster of biblical proportions, but ...
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #91
We are in the habit of losing, administration, coaches, players and now one by one the supporters just accept it. As supporters we have continued to swallow the crap the club sends us hook line and sinker preying on our loyalty. That  dawn is just over the hill they tell us, light ahead we hear, we all have belief in the coach and the football department plan.  What rubbish just a con.  I don’t think the coach even believes it anymore.  What’s the solution?  We need change to change. Something, a spark, to ignite us all from the top on down to you and me,  sack Bolton, Barker or 1 of the other dozen assistants we have, just  do something other than accept our current course.     Something

Reply #92
I reckon you and the other mods will be working shifts once Bolton's sacking is announced and this site goes berko.

Good luck.

Thanks Paul

A coach change always raises some pretty strong emotions.

This one, if it occurs or not, looms as a bit more of an issue and more emotional because people are much more invested.
The process still has wide support, and many regard the coach and process as inseparable.
Whatever happens debate will no doubt be vigorous in the coming days. All we ask is that it's conducted with civility.
I don't think anyone posts on here who in the end doesn't want to see a successful Carlton
We sometimes just disagree as to the best method to achieve that outcome.

(and while I was writing that we had a little bit of an outburst to indicate the extent of the feelings,
It's natural to be upset...but it's a bit of a waste of your energy if you want to start throwing abuse around. The posts wont last.)

Reply #93
We are in the habit of losing, administration, coaches, players and now one by one the supporters just accept it. As supporters we have continued to swallow the crap the club sends us hook line and sinker preying on our loyalty. That  dawn is just over the hill they tell us, light ahead we hear, we all have belief in the coach and the football department plan.  What rubbish just a con.  I don’t think the coach even believes it anymore.  What’s the solution?  We need change to change. Something, a spark, to ignite us all from the top on down to you and me,  sack Bolton, Barker or 1 of the other dozen assistants we have, just  do something other than accept our current course.     Something

That "something" needs to be very well considered and backed up by real analysis. No more knee jerk BS. Although I guess it's too late for that, if rumours are to be believed.

Reply #94
I haven't seen groundswell like this since Ratten lost to Gold Coast in 2012.

Reply #95
I haven't seen groundswell like this since Ratten lost to Gold Coast in 2012.

Yep. Today was shocking. Normally Bomber fans would be rubbing it in but they know they are crap too.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #96
Bolton arrived at Hawthorn in a premiership year (2008) and enjoyed their success up until the time he joined us. His first senior coaching wins were with a team that I could have coached to victory. He has never been associated with a senior AFL team that has had to face significant adversity or public scrutiny. He actually ‘lived the dream’ at Hawthorn.

If he’d been Hardwick’s right hand man or Buckley’s right hand man and witnessed the overcoming of significant external pressures and ordinary on field performances, then we might say that he’s got the experience to weather the storm with us. 

Unfortunately he hasn’t been.......and I don’t think he can. 

Reply #97
Geeez Marchbank was far from our worst.Newman played like spud. Bloody hell,we started with 2 players down in Lang and Fasolo. Played the worst wet weather football I've ever seen. Weitering was great today. Kreuzer cracked in. The more I see of Stocker the more I think he'll be real good.
The more I see of Kennedy the less I like. Another abject failure.
Cunningham looks OK. The baqckline isn't the problem, it's the way we butcher the ball into attack and in general play. 2 top rate forwards, solid backline, reasonable midfield. We should be better.
Coach is cooked.

Perfect summary. Midfield is just way too young to be able to compete at this level. Simply too many kids without any cover. Won’t win another game unless the balance changes which can’t see how that can happen with the list we have.

Reply #98
Dow looked much better today, especially in the second half. His kicking is still average but he showed a lot of pace to get clear of traffic and get the ball moving. Casboult is doing OK down back and weitering was probably our best.

Quite a few times we kicked forward to no one. Its a sign of a side still struggling to gel and preempt each other, allowing disposals to happen quicker.  Too often we get caught: another symptom of a lack of preemption and confidence in a team mate.

No answers other than time. Our young players are getting quite an education

Reply #99
Won’t win another game unless the balance changes which can’t see how that can happen with the list we have.

Maybe ‘can’t see how that can happen with the list we have’ ., should read ‘ can’t see how this can happen with the current ages of the list we have’

We have a number of talented kids who need time including some of our talls who are still trying to get there (We’re always told that talls take long.....but we are impatient.)  Weitering is getting bigger, stronger and more confident every year and by the time he’s 25 / 26 he’ll control the backline and do so for another 5-6 year. (How’s his progress compared with the No 2 pick of his year Josh Schache??). Likewise Harry McKay’s brother, still a mile off but North have no doubt he’ll make it. In the meantime his twin brother is expected to hold our forward line together.

They are only 2 examples, there are plenty more on our list.  How do we conjure some success for the next 2 years while we play catch up??

Reply #100
Sacking Bolton won't necessarily derail the club, McCartney did a lot of the ground work at Footscray but they gave him the bullet for Beveridge and a couple of years later they were holding up the cup.
Bolton was unproven and always a risky appointment, and he's had a fair crack at it, if you could see improvement things might be different.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #101
Dow looked much better today, especially in the second half. His kicking is still average but he showed a lot of pace to get clear of traffic and get the ball moving. Casboult is doing OK down back and weitering was probably our best.

Quite a few times we kicked forward to no one. Its a sign of a side still struggling to gel and preempt each other, allowing disposals to happen quicker.  Too often we get caught: another symptom of a lack of preemption and confidence in a team mate.

No answers other than time. Our young players are getting quite an education

I believe the new coach has a clock that speeds up time, built by the Irish. It can do 1 hour in 45 minutes.

Reply #102
Perfect summary. Midfield is just way too young to be able to compete at this level. Simply too many kids without any cover. Won’t win another game unless the balance changes which can’t see how that can happen with the list we have.

I agree shawny.
While I can see the potential of our young mids, it lacks the protection and experience around them. Their age also means inconsistencies for a while.
It's hard to comprehend our best and poor performances are by the same group . Yet that is inconsistency by definition. Need to take a deep breath and remain united.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #103
Obviously effort is unconditional. But in terms of actual performance, we were a severely depleted side today.

On our list we have 11 players with 90 or more games experience to their name. Just 11.

From that 11, 6 of them did not play today. 5 through injury/suspension and 1 of them is a backup ruck who was not good enough to get picked (Lobbe).
Of the remaining 5 who did play, 2 of them are not in our best 22 (Casboult, Fasolo) and 1 is borderline (E. Curnow). Leaving only Cripps and Kreuzer from our most experienced 11 players who deserved to be out there.

Simpson - 314
Murphy - 258
Thomas - 248

Kreuzer - 179
Ed Curnow - 154
Jones - 119
Casboult - 113
Fasolo - 104
Lobbe - 100
Cripps - 92
Docherty - 92

We were a rudderless ship today, and a lack of leadership out on the ground couldn't have come at a worse time.

Reply #104
Essendon were missing better players.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!