Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Prognostications: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 7102 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre Game Prognostications: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane

I would like to say: veni, vedi, vici!
For those who speak no Latin (like me), I came, I saw, I conquered.
Thank you, Gaius Julius Caesar.

Once upon a time I would have believed that. Alas, the last two decades have shown that we have decayed rather poorly. I simply cannot see us winning this one, not even after last week's humiliation at the hands of the Adelaide Cows. I hate that. I hate that it represents our present incompetence.

Like the Roman Empire, we have fallen from our perch. This is already the longest period we've ever hand between premierships and it shows not enough signs of changing. We need a Justinian and a Belisarius (and no Plagues) to drive us back to being the team we were.
Just at the moment, I can't see our selection policy or our will being enough to take on a team that is finals bound.

Maybe that is the depression and anxiety talking. I would have things otherwise.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre Game Prognostications: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #1
Fine language crash :)

Reply #2
@Crash.
Did not the Roman Empire rot from within?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
Crash, well said.

Reply #4
Be affraid, be very affraid. I want this season to end ASAP as I have now lost all interest.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
Be affraid, be very affraid. I want this season to end ASAP as I have now lost all interest.

We're liable to come out and win it. That would be so Carlton. That could annoy me even more in some ways.

Normally the cue is in the rack for the last round but we did that last week. First time I detected Teague a bit angry underneath in the presser so it might be put on them. He was trying to be diplomatic but you could feel it underneath and by a couple of things he said.

Reply #6
....................................................................First time I detected Teague a bit angry underneath in the presser so it might be put on them. He was trying to be diplomatic but you could feel it underneath and by a couple of things he said.

This was my impression as well.

Reply #7
This was my impression as well.

He just said he was pretty emotive at half time. Most emotive, few stats.

Reply #8
I'm not expecting to win, but I'm confident we will see a more determined and spirited effort in this game. The boys will not have to worry about the next week. They can leave it all out there, plus Simpsons's last game.....

And if we are going to play Cripps forward, please play him out of the goal square. His confidence in goal kicking is shot - the closer the better IMO.

Reply #9
@Crash.
Did not the Roman Empire rot from within?
Indeed. And the less political power the people had, the more the army had, and the less effective it was.
Becoming and remaining Emperor became the job of the ruler, not actually ruling or making hard decisions. Empire fell to barbarians, yes, but it wouldn't have where it not rotten.

Sounds like us at the the late 1990's and early 2000's.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
I'm not expecting to win, but I'm confident we will see a more determined and spirited effort in this game. The boys will not have to worry about the next week. They can leave it all out there, plus Simpsons's last game.....

And if we are going to play Cripps forward, please play him out of the goal square. His confidence in goal kicking is shot - the closer the better IMO.
We used to have a brilliant record at responding to matches like this. But that was a long time ago. Lately we've served up some of our worst performances for retirements and such.

I will hope the lads respond for Simmo: he deserves to go out on a high. But I don't expect to see it. Not enough spirit in the team of late.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
This week...

7 Defenders - Jones, Weitering, Plowman, McGovern, Simpson, Williamson, Newnes
7 Midfielders - Setterfield, Walsh, Cuningham, Petrevski-Seton, Gibbons, Kennedy, O'Brien
1 Ruck - De Koning (relief from Casboult)
7 Forwards - McKay, Casboult, Cripps, Betts, Martin, Murphy, E.Curnow
*Docherty and Fisher out injured.

Reply #12
This week...

7 Midfielders - Setterfield, Walsh, Cuningham, Petrevski-Seton, Gibbons, Kennedy, O'Brien
7 Forwards - McKay, Casboult, Cripps, Betts, Fisher, Murphy, E.Curnow
*Assuming Docherty out injured.
I don't think Fish will play either. running around with one arm on Sunday.

Reply #14
This week...

7 Forwards - McKay, Casboult, Cripps, Betts, Martin, Murphy, E.Curnow
*Docherty and Fisher out injured.

Couldn't possibly let Cameo Cuningham run around again. McGov redeemed himself a fraction with some 2nd half efforts against the Crows.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17