Skip to main content
Topic: Sticking Fat (Read 10797 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sticking Fat

Reply #15
Good find Lods. I have read a few sites indicating its a loyalty term and having ones back. Just couldn't find a point where it originated from. ;)

Not sure that's the origin Mantis ;)
Probably goes back farther than that and I wouldn't be surprised if LP was right about WW1.
It may have been a regional thing though (Victorian, NZ?) because as I said, as a New South Welshman, I'd never heard it before Brittain used it.
The interesting thing is that since Brittain did use it there are numerous examples of it being used in AFL speak.

Reply #16
Many AFL players and others have relations with past war soldiers in their families and friends. Which is why you make sense with there being a possible tie to this period. WW2, WW1 or even earlier. I remember an old war time favourite of OK being a common term. By use of morse code with daily updates in the field of fighting. To communicate 0.K was to indicate zero kills in the field over a period of time. Considered to be something good, if a squad didn't lose any soldiers in a day of battle, which was very rare indeed. Not exactly where it originated from but was used in the first world war from my past readings and knowledge.

There are many other British terms from the Victorian and Edwardian era that are still used today. ;)

http://theweek.com/article/index/242717/where-did-the-expression-ok-come-from
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #17
Lots of WW1 and WW2 veterans in my family and they never spoke about 'sticking fat'.  It doesn't rate a mention in my copy of "The Australian Language" so I expect that it was introduced after that work was published - 1986.  It certainly isn't a phrase I heard before the early 2000s.

In fact, I've only ever heard it used by AFL folk  ::)

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Interesting discussion, I always thought it meant with substantial margin, as opposed to sticking thin implying minimal margin and abandoning support at the slightest disappointment or error.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #19
I've heard the word phat used to describe good music ie that's a 'phat beat'.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #20
I must admit I make the assumption that the modern Sticking Fat was related to the "Fat in a frying pan" description I read in an excerpt from a hand written diary that was in an display case.

Actually in regards to Lods findings, it is quite possible I read it in the NZ Airforce Museum in Christchurch. I am not 100% sure though it was a long time ago, more than 20 years ago ands well before Brittain used the phrase. I recall it now because when I originally heard Brittain make the Sticking Fat comment at his last speech because the situation seemed to fit the description in the diary, he made that speech like their fate was sealed and the outlook grim! Seems he was right!
The Force Awakens!