Skip to main content
Topic: Leaders; Bolton's view (Read 10017 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Leaders; Bolton's view

Reply #15
Maclure on 360 tonight said it's time for the succession.
Said he thought Murphy would hand it over without to much angst.

Docherty or Cripps were the suggestions.

I doubt whether that will happen.  Bolton has been very consistent in his praise of Murphy and Gibbs as leaders (but doesn't often mention VC Simpson).

Leaders don't have to be "Ra! Ra! Ra!"  They have to have the respect of the group and speak knowledgeably and with authority.

I reckon that we'll have at least another season with Murphy as skipper.  After that, perhaps Gibbs but Cripps seems to be next in line.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
You're right you don't have to be ra ra. But you do gave to have at least a speck of natural leadership.

Cripps for me.

Ideally you'd have someone with a bit harder edge but he'd have to be an upgrade.... even at 23.

Reply #17
You're right you don't have to be ra ra. But you do gave to have at least a speck of natural leadership.

Cripps for me.

Ideally you'd have someone with a bit harder edge but he'd have to be an upgrade.... even at 23.

I reckon that's old school thinking.

The post-game wraps are very considered and Murphy and the other leaders know exactly what's expected of them.

Bolton was very specific about how good Murphy was at organising his team mates at stoppages.  Docherty is not a midfielder and won't provide that leadership.  Cripps seems to be a bloke who thinks a lot about footy - and the footage of him spending time with Gibbs and Murphy after games suggests that he is eager to learn and to impart his own learnings.  Given time, I think he should be a good skipper.

As much as I like Mark Maclure's insights, he knows as little about the leadership attributes of Murphy, Gibbs, Docherty and Cripps as you and I.  The coaches and playing group reckon Murphy is the best bloke for the job at the moment.  I could be wrong but I can't see that changing in the short term.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
I suspect Sellars is closer to inner knowledge of what's happening at the good ship CFC than most of us. Wouldn't surprise me if that the only reason a succession plan is being discussed is because Murph is now 30 with in mind a replacement takes the helm in 2019. I don't think there's anything sinister is discussing a new skipper or a slight on Murph in any way.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Maclure on 360 tonight said it's time for the succession.
Said he thought Murphy would hand it over without to much angst.

Docherty or Cripps were the suggestions.

I'd be surprised, that is almost as external comment as we would make, populist media rubbish perhaps? Friends with an agenda?

From what I hear indirectly, Murphy's leadership, communication and co-ordination skills are so far ahead of the next option it's a real problem for the club, some say he could well be a future AFL coach if he so desires. Not sure what to make of that, suggests our recruiting team needs to consider the prospects of leadership as a skill.

Of the recent recruits, Cripps included, only Weitering comes close to Murphy. Cripps has quite a unique focus, drive and commitment that might actually alienate players who cannot keep up with him. Some say he is very similar to Judd and has the same pitfalls.

Weitering is more inclusive off-field while having white line fever on-field(Even though it isn't always showing!), he is likened to Kernahan.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Reckon Docherty will probably get the captains role if the club wants to relieve Murphy of the job...Cripps can get injured a bit and Weitering is still establishing his credentials as a complete player IMO and maybe doesnt need the burden.
Docherty would be very player neutral I reckon...respected by both young and old on the list, well spoken and is super consistent with his own game.
Not the supreme leader that say Hodge is in terms of leading the troops into battle by performing heroics but smart enough to lead the way by doing most things right when required and of a more calming educated nature...

Reply #21
Give it to Docherty till Weitering is ready.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #22
Murph will be captain again but those that know and count know best.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23
I'd be surprised, that is almost as external comment as we would make, populist media rubbish perhaps? Friends with an agenda?

From what I hear indirectly, Murphy's leadership, communication and co-ordination skills are so far ahead of the next option it's a real problem for the club, some say he could well be a future AFL coach if he so desires. Not sure what to make of that, suggests our recruiting team needs to consider the prospects of leadership as a skill.

Of the recent recruits, Cripps included, only Weitering comes close to Murphy. Cripps has quite a unique focus, drive and commitment that might actually alienate players who cannot keep up with him. Some say he is very similar to Judd and has the same pitfalls.

Weitering is more inclusive off-field while having white line fever on-field(Even though it isn't always showing!), he is likened to Kernahan.

Thanks for the insight LP!!  First time I had heard it put this way - always good to hear from anyone with an insiders view

Reply #24

Pretty sure they started recruiting with leadership as a key focus a few years ago.

I reckon there was 1 draft where we picked up 3 players who were former captains of their clubs.

Reply #25
Give it to Docherty till Weitering is ready.
[/quote

NOT WEITERING!   He is quick to go down AND stay down!  A bit of a hypochondriac I think.  I want a robust leader!

Reply #26
NOT WEITERING!   He is quick to go down AND stay down!  A bit of a hypochondriac I think.  I want a robust leader!

I think that is very harsh on a kid in his second season, you judge his actions on assumptions you draw about his injuries.

Great Article about Carlton, Murphy and our Future;

States this about Weiters this year;

Quote from: Mark Murphy
'Weiters' started up forward and then went down back. It was a real selfless role for Weiters. We were trying to find an avenue to goal so we put him up forward – he had trained all pre-season in the backline.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
I think that is very harsh on a kid in his second season, you judge his actions on assumptions you draw about his injuries.

Great Article about Carlton, Murphy and our Future;

States this about Weiters this year;
I have noted him going to ground several times and showing great pain while the game is going on around him only to get up in a little while and then continue play.  It is not courage or he would be up straight away knowing his team-mates need him.

Reply #28
I have noted him going to ground several times and showing great pain while the game is going on around him only to get up in a little while and then continue play.  It is not courage or he would be up straight away knowing his team-mates need him.

That's because his shoulder is stuffed and he probably shouldn't be playing at all.  I guess he believes that his team mates need him or he would have pulled the pin on the season and gone in for surgery.

Reply #29
That's because his shoulder is stuffed and he probably shouldn't be playing at all.  I guess he believes that his team mates need him or he would have pulled the pin on the season and gone in for surgery.

I think that you are a glass half full person while I may be a glass half empty   :)