Skip to main content
Topic: Power forward? (Read 40565 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Power forward?

Reply #60
Rather disturbing info re Mick's connection & Jones Dad then, if that was a key reason why he is here. But surely there must have been other eyes on him & reports that others might have said no to?
Agree with DJC would rather have given Waite 2 yrs instead of that plonker

Reply #61
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-10-16/blues-secure-jones

“Liam has been on our radar for a while, securing both him and Kristian, as key position players, has been a priority for us during this trade period.

That was stated by Andrew Mckay.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-10-17/2014-trade-wrap

If you watch the video on this link, Shane Rogers mentions Liam Jones as a young tacker.

I get the idea that he has been on our radar much longer than Mick had been at the club and even so, the thought process was sound even if it hasn't worked.  We picked up a 197 cm, forward where our club had not many options before.

He might be rubbish, but if he lets Mckay develope properly by not having to rush him into AFL footy without being ready, then its not all wasted effort.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #63
the thought process was sound even if it hasn't worked.  We picked up a 197 cm, forward where our club had not many options before.

The thought process was short sighted and has cost us. Not what I call sound unless you consider "he's better than nothing" sound.

Reply #64
The guy the bulldogs picked up with the pick we traded played more games than Jones.  >:(

Caleb Daniel is not a bad player, but what use was a 167cm player to Carlton last year?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
Caleb Daniel is not a bad player, but what use was a 167cm player to Carlton last year?
He would have kicked more goals than Jones. Not that that would have been a great effort, but...
Be that as it may, he is a fish who got away. I am looking forward to Jones' replacement. Our list may not be premiership material yet, but another bunch of duds out and a group of talented youngsters in and we will have a lot more smiles.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #66
He would have kicked more goals than Jones. Not that that would have been a great effort, but...
Be that as it may, he is a fish who got away. I am looking forward to Jones' replacement. Our list may not be premiership material yet, but another bunch of duds out and a group of talented youngsters in and we will have a lot more smiles.

Looking for a small forward or half forward we chose Menzel, are you saying we should have have taken Daniel instead because Daniel wasn't an option for the marking tall forward role!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
The thought process was short sighted and has cost us. Not what I call sound unless you consider "he's better than nothing" sound.

it was a gamble that hasn't paid off.

Given Henderson also jumped ship at least it means we have a banana that will allow us to develop key position players rather than throwing them to the wolves.

Short sighted, that has hurt us is more the daisy situation.   This isn't the same.   We have no idea how this draft pick would have gone but glittering examples of Tom Temay and Josh Boots were the more likely results.

Paul Hewson

Reply #68
it was a gamble that hasn't paid off.

Given Henderson also jumped ship at least it means we have a banana that will allow us to develop key position players rather than throwing them to the wolves.

Short sighted, that has hurt us is more the daisy situation.   This isn't the same.   We have no idea how this draft pick would have gone but glittering examples of Tom Temay and Josh Boots were the more likely results.

I'm not sure how it helps Thry.  In fact, having Jones on the list means that the young blokes will be asked to step up before they're ready.  We really can't go in to a game with Jones in the 22 - unless we're tanking.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #69
It would have been better to give Waite his two years.  We'd have a competitive, if erratic, key forward this season while the young blokes develop.

Waite would only take up a spot in the senior side, we won't be challenging before he hangs up the boots.
At least Jones won't be keeping a youngster in the VFL.
What's Setanta up to?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #70
The guy the bulldogs picked up with the pick we traded played more games than Jones.  >:(
Thanks for that, now I will have more nightmares tonight.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #71
I'm not sure how it helps Thry.  In fact, having Jones on the list means that the young blokes will be asked to step up before they're ready.  We really can't go in to a game with Jones in the 22 - unless we're tanking.

It helps.  I'd rather our young players learn their role whilst Liam gets punched in the back of the head rather than them getting the number one defender.

I'm not holding onto hopes of him coming good, as it's pretty slim but he still has time enough to improve and become a decent player.  Again like Simon white his presence helps us more for allowing us to develop youngsters without shattering their confidence.

Paul Hewson

Reply #72

I like Redpath from the Dogs, kept Boyd out of the team and is built like a double brick dunny..not sure if he is the player you are talking about?

Reply #73
I like Redpath from the Dogs, kept Boyd out of the team and is built like a double brick dunny..not sure if he is the player you are talking about?
Caleb Daniel is the player eb.

Paul Hewson

Reply #74
Caleb Daniel is the player eb.

Thanks Thry..I should have figured that from the previous posts, been a long hot day :-[....still like Redpath and of course Crash's man Caleb D was always going to be a controversial selection.
I'm a Daniel fan and like Crash reckon he can make it and we should have been more interested....you need cult figures at your club who can play and given his form in the U18 carnival
he warranted better than pick 46 IMO...

Kieran Lovell is another small player who starred at the championships for Tassie and was picked up by the Hawks...Daniel and Lovell succeeding might see a rethink about smaller players and their value...