Skip to main content
Topic: Power forward? (Read 40549 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Power forward?

Reply #75
It helps.  I'd rather our young players learn their role whilst Liam gets punched in the back of the head rather than them getting the number one defender.

I'm not holding onto hopes of him coming good, as it's pretty slim but he still has time enough to improve and become a decent player.  Again like Simon white his presence helps us more for allowing us to develop youngsters without shattering their confidence.

He has to get a game for that to happen and, if he can't get the ball, he won't get a game.

If he did jag a game, there's no way the opposition would put their best defender on him.  The third banana would be overkill  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #76
Yep, the 9 games he was gifted last year will be it for his time at Carlton

Reply #77
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-24/transformers-which-players-have-changed-their-body-shape-over-summer

Levi Casboult has dropped 3kg over the pre-season and is in much better shape to cope with the demands of a modern-day key forward who can take the occasional turn in the ruck. When he arrived at Carlton as a rookie in 2010 he was 103kg and last year he was officially listed as 105kg. Casboult displayed his new-look physique in the Blues’ opening NAB Challenge game against Hawthorn last Thursday. As was the case with most of his teammates last season Casboult was unable to run out games, and while it is early days he impressed with his ability to have an impact on more contests. Casboult, who missed the last four games of 2015 after injuring the posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, has enjoyed the new training regime at Carlton this season, with an emphasis on intensity and high-speed running. – Howard Kotton

- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-24/transformers-which-players-have-changed-their-body-shape-over-summer#sthash.5f2qUWaL.dpuf
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #78
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-24/transformers-which-players-have-changed-their-body-shape-over-summer

This sounds like Levi's really stepped up in terms of physical development and commitment. If it translates to better running, combined with solid marking, improved kicking (and entry), we could have a power forward on our hands this year. I'm keen to see how Foster is developing too. We soooo need to fill this gap whilst we wait for the young guys
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #79
I don't want to necessarily go over old territory, but I seem to recall people were suggesting that Casboult had a ripping pre season last year.

Sounds like he has increased muscle mass and decreased weight which tells us that this was false information at best.

Perhaps we were just massively under done in season 2015 and had the result accordingly.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
I don't want to necessarily go over old territory, but I seem to recall people were suggesting that Casboult had a ripping pre season last year.

Sounds like he has increased muscle mass and decreased weight which tells us that this was false information at best.

Perhaps we were just massively under done in season 2015 and had the result accordingly.

Maybe he had 2 great preseasons? You're right in that  Butterface was a dud for us though

Reply #81
Casboult has had a restricted pre-season because of his PCL injury and it was noticeable that he ran out of puff against the Hawks (as did most of our blokes).

A player's ideal weight is determined by the fitness staff and we have seen fluctuations in weight over several seasons.  Our fitness staff seem to have decided that players should be lighter and Bolton's zero tolerance of bad skin folds has probably contributed to lighter playing weights as well.

Casboult being 3kg lighter does not mean that he is fitter or has worked harder than last pre-season.  It just means that he is marginally lighter and that may have little or no impact on his endurance, strength or dodgy knee.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #82
Casboult has had a restricted pre-season because of his PCL injury and it was noticeable that he ran out of puff against the Hawks (as did most of our blokes).

A player's ideal weight is determined by the fitness staff and we have seen fluctuations in weight over several seasons.  Our fitness staff seem to have decided that players should be lighter and Bolton's zero tolerance of bad skin folds has probably contributed to lighter playing weights as well.

Casboult being 3kg lighter does not mean that he is fitter or has worked harder than last pre-season.  It just means that he is marginally lighter and that may have little or no impact on his endurance, strength or dodgy knee.

I'll be happy id he kicks 6 in the first half then peters out.....!!   ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #83
Would that be in every match Flyboy?  ;)

Reply #85
maybe just 15 of the 23 (?) H & A games. Oh, in the GF too!

As long as he kicks six in the second half of the other eight games  ;)

Reply #86
Now, where were we on having a Power Forward.

At the moment I would be happy with a forward line.  ::) Anything, Something!

Yesterday we had nothing to kick to when we got the ball and at one stage when we broke fast out of the back line the Scum were able to get three defenders back befroe any of our forwards got close to the 50.
We then turned the ball over, they kicked it long into their 50 to an awaiting player who was on his own. Where the Feck were our players?
Tooo many turn overs by just bombing it long into the fwd 50.

Who is our forward coach? Either he is being shafted by the backs and midfield coaches or he has been told not to get too worried about coming up with a plan. :o

No structure, no idea. We must be so easy to read and defend ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #87
We are going to struggle to score big time this year.

Personally, I don't mind.

You cannot make the mistakes we have made over the last 10-15 years and expect instant success.
Silvagni said a 36 month rebuild and I believe that's conservative.

We need to nurture and develop our own, and bring them through ass a group, over 3 or 4 years.

If we had a power forward and an Eddie Betts we may just win 6-8 games but can we really afford to?
I think we need another 2 years of three or four top 20 picks.

That means we need to go back and trade again this year.
I would suggest Murphy and Gibbs will be moved on, as might a few others if we can get value.

Reply #88
Temptation is to play Harry McKay in the next NAB game with the view of playing him Rnd 1......thats probably on the basis that Jones, Gorringe or any other fill ins have shown nothing.....

Do we want to give Harry plenty of early experience or will it just knock him about.?...I reckon BB wont want to play him and will go one of his ruckman at CHF with Casboult at FF.....Gorringe is probably the player we would play at CHF IMO and wil also have a run on the ball with Casboult doing less ruckwork and staying at FF.

Dont see who ever we play at CHF expected to kick many goals but whose job will more to provide a marking contest and get the ball down to the smaller/mid sized players...

Reply #89
Now, where were we on having a Power Forward.

At the moment I would be happy with a forward line.  ::) Anything, Something!

Yesterday we had nothing to kick to when we got the ball and at one stage when we broke fast out of the back line the Scum were able to get three defenders back befroe any of our forwards got close to the 50.
We then turned the ball over, they kicked it long into their 50 to an awaiting player who was on his own. Where the Feck were our players?
Tooo many turn overs by just bombing it long into the fwd 50.

Who is our forward coach? Either he is being shafted by the backs and midfield coaches or he has been told not to get too worried about coming up with a plan. :o

No structure, no idea. We must be so easy to read and defend ::)

Could not possibly summarise that any better Phantom coloured Blue......our forward line is an unmitigated mess, non-existent & there's not another team in the AFL who can even come close to 'boasting' the forward structure we've got.

Casboult ran himself into the ground in the first 10 mins of the game yesterday & I said to my mate "That'll be it for today, he'll be too buggered for the rest of it".......and that's exactly what eventuated for the half he played.

*sigh*.......
Football is life, there is nothing else....