Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle (Read 55278 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle

Reply #45
I don't know about anyone else, but watching Jones line up for that last goal was a real sphincter tightening experience.
I had to go out of the room could not watch

Reply #46
Was one of the worst games of AFL ever played but imagine if we'd lost. At least we can now enjoy 4 points.

Forget Jones's 2 goals... he was HOPELESS. So completely and utterly clueless about how to play as a tall forward. No idea how to lead, position or use his body. If those 2 goals keep him in the team I'll spew.

Dylan Buckley looks cooked. Certainly not a small forward at this point in time.

Rowe is okay when it is simple but when he gets turned around this get real jittery real quick.

Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps and Kreuzer need to find form. Disposal count might have looked ok but they are MILES off.

We won because they were bloody horrible. One of the great mysteries is how the implosion of freo has happened so quickly but they are done.

Ross Lyon has never had to play young players or build a list himself before. Doesn't look like he's much good at it.

Reply #47
You really seem to be enjoying the win Jeza.

Reply #48
Was one of the worst games of AFL ever played but imagine if we'd lost. At least we can now enjoy 4 points.

Forget Jones's 2 goals... he was HOPELESS. So completely and utterly clueless about how to play as a tall forward. No idea how to lead, position or use his body. If those 2 goals keep him in the team I'll spew.

Dylan Buckley looks cooked. Certainly not a small forward at this point in time.

Rowe is okay when it is simple but when he gets turned around this get real jittery real quick.

Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps and Kreuzer need to find form. Disposal count might have looked ok but they are MILES off.

We won because they were bloody horrible. One of the great mysteries is how the implosion of freo has happened so quickly but they are done.

Ross Lyon has never had to play young players or build a list himself before. Doesn't look like he's much good at it.

Actually, regarding Jones, they were the very things he did so well in the VFL last well. Led and used his body very well. Much different in the seniors admittedly but when the delivery is so poor it doesn't give one alot of hope. What it did do was allow Casboult to play up the ground, take a number of marks and get 16 touches, 6 more than Kreuzer and Phillips put together, and be some sort of influence. Good argument for Casboult being 2nd ruck.

We had a win, we won't get many and we know our shortcomings. I suggest you actually enjoy it when it happens.

Reply #49
I still can't really believe it, we had a red hot crack and never dropped our heads but our skills at times were as bad as ever, Freo has totally lost the plot.
If we'd drafted Ciaran Byrne with pick 10 or 12 in the national draft we'd be rapt, I always thought Zac Tuohy showed plenty but if anything Byrne is ahead of him at the same stage.
I thought Kreuzer was much better this week, Casboult actually had a good game but his kicking for goal is atrocious and his non handball to Buckley was inexplicable, Jones was a non event for most of the day but it was nice to see him have a big hand in the finish.
Rowe was very good, so were Wright and Kerridge.
Cripps, Murphy and Gibbs were all top notch and Thomas did what we pay him for, but some of the lesser lights also put in big ones which is what we need to see more of.
Forgot to mention Ed Curnow, apart from his usual suspect foot skills he played a great game.
Excellent to be off the bottom at least, go Blues and bring on the Bumblers!
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #50
Great win, but can I just say it would have been by a lot more if those friggin cheat umpires didn't pay and not pay the free kicks that significantly impact a game. Makes me sick

Reply #51
Byrne was bloody fantastic. Awesome game from him. Couple if mistakes but I couldn't care less. So much courage, speed, overhead marking was brilliant. He stuffed one up then immediately got the ball and took them on. Jamo would have been curled up in the foetal position rocking back and forth in his state of panicked mental implosion.

Byrne... couldn't give a stuff. Straight back into it charging through. The best mentality I've seen from a young Carlton player in years. Weit right there with him.

Byrne BOG.

Reply #52
Yep. Spot on.

Despite everything, Freo are experts at winning games like that. Character building for our boys to win ugly. So glad for Jones that he eventually got reward for effort... with confidence, this fella just might grow.

My only negative was Meat failing to handball to Buckley to deliver a certain goal, very selfish... he should get a rocket for that.

Casboult definitely thought about the handball but held it back . . . and you really have to slot the goal in that situation.  Apart from that brain fade, Casboult was an important contributor today.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #53

I must have watched a different game  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54

Fair go, enjoy the win.

Jones kicked 2 goals when the pressure was on, if it was Levi every chance he would have missed.

Murphy ran his guts out ans gets knocked around without any protection from the umps and Cripps has players grabbing him and jumping in his back all the time and they still got good numbers.

We lack forwards that know how to lead at the ball hence our high turnover rate across our forward line.

Enjoy the win jeza, they will be few and far between

Reply #55
I'm shocked! Happy for the boys and for Murph who I think tries his guts out week after week... Hopefully this will start to give them some confidence! Go Blues!!!

Reply #56
You really seem to be enjoying the win Jeza.

Good point... lets find a positive... Lachie Neale is out of contract. Can we push Dale Thomas in front of a fast moving train and spend his money on Neale?

Plowman quiet but looks a quality player. Weit is all class. Docherty had one of his poorer games but was still pretty good. A good sign.

Love Byrne.

Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer and Cripps got a bit of the ball. Hopefully use that as a foundation for a better performance next week.

Final positive- let's hope Ross's drop loose blokes behind the ball and use auskick tactics to have a crowd follow the ball contributed to the scrappiness and we straighten up next week.

Reply #57

Jones will play next week for two reasons.  He allows Casboult to play up the ground, which is where Levi should be playing.  And he kicked two goals when it counted.  Does this mean he will be a champion.  No,  In fact I expect him to play a stinker against the Dons.  But he deserves a second game.

Gibbs kicked that goal, but he also gave a number up.  His weakness in the contest is frustrating.  Cripps, though, we astonishing, his handballs in traffic were actually to good for his teammates they were so slick.  Murph put in 100%.  Still don't rate him as a captain, but his effort was fantastic today.

Reply #58
Good point... lets find a positive... Lachie Neale is out of contract. Can we push Dale Thomas in front of a fast moving train and spend his money on Neale?

Plowman quiet but looks a quality player. Weit is all class. Docherty had one of his poorer games but was still pretty good. A good sign.

Love Byrne.

Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer and Cripps got a bit of the ball. Hopefully use that as a foundation for a better performance next week.

Final positive- let's hope Ross's drop loose blokes behind the ball and use auskick tactics to have a crowd follow the ball contributed to the scrappiness and we straighten up next week.

Don't need to kill Thomas.  We've got plenty of room in our cap, apparently.

Reply #59

Love Byrne.

I only got to watch the first 3/4, but we must have genuinely been watching the different game. I thought Docherty was pure effort and sacrifice all day, might have him among the best on the first 3/4.

Not a great game for skills and finesse, so Murphy and Gibbs get a big tick for never giving up as I call them players who normally don't suit the type of game we had today. An error riddled wrestle across the line.

Kreuzer really got us off to a great start in the ruck, looked up 300% on his first few weeks.

As for next week, not sure EFC have the cattle to try that type of game, I'm expecting a shoot-out and they rely on the skills of the re-treads.

Hopefully we are injury free, noticed Murphy had a bit of a hobble up, heard on the radio Weiters might have an injury late in the game.
The Force Awakens!