Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle (Read 55287 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle

Reply #90
Sorry, overlooked that one.  Hooker will want the Perth mint to play for Freo. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #91
Wow Jeza....

I am not Liam Jones biggest fan, but he worked really hard today, got himself in good positions only to be missed by foot or overlooked. lamb beat Pearce one on one for a great goal but Liam had made a really good lead and should gave bee spotted up.

His two goals were reward for effort and we looked better with a few targets.

I know I sounds all negative and that but jeeeeesus that was a bad level we played at. Just really really bad. Sorry but... yeah - bad.

We finally won though so that is undoubtedly a positive. Infinitely better to win a crape game than to lose it.

On Jones:
2 late goals - great. Winning goal - nobody can take that away from you - ever so well done.

Did precisely nothing to that point though. Was putrid. Even missing a bolted on sitter right in front of goal when his team REALLY FRIGGING needed it 20m out straight in front is forgotten.

All forgotten because he got a free kick then Kerridge effected the opponents kick which lobbed into Jones's (who was not manning up but standing around doing his usual impression of a stunned mullet) lap.

End on a positive: Byrne is amazing.

Reply #92
@1979

I was more worried about how we structure without the ball. Plenty of guys worked hard to get to a good defensive position.

We are also good at having a "release" player now. Either by hand or foot. Several times we were under extreme pressure and a little kick towards the boundary released the pressure even if it got the ball outside 50.

I think we do move it wide but that is to switch the ball and bring it back through the middle. Despite how bad Freo are, they are still great at blocking the corridor, and denying space.

I just think the players know where to go and are comfortable with what they are doing. Just such a difference watching them last year run around lost.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #93
It was not a pretty win, but hey from where we have come from who gives a flying f**k. 

Players are buying into the BB game plan.  Soon MM will be a distant memory.

Reply #94
It was not a pretty win, but hey from where we have come from who gives a flying f**k. 

Players are buying into the BB game plan.  Soon MM will be a distant memory.

Mate for me he already is. We now have a coach!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #95

He still scars me.  Every time Waite, betts, Garlett get goals, just can't help thinking he is responsible for them not being at Carlton/ 

Reply #96
I really think plowman, along with weitering have added some rigidity and quality to our backline. Imagine what they both would do with full pre seasons. I really feel we have two special players here.

On the downside, I fear Tuohy may soon be on the outer, particularly with Byrne playing as he is

Reply #97
x 2 Onwards and upwards
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #98
LoveNavy
TAC Cup Player

Re: Rd. 5 - Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers
« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »
Quote from: Gointocarlton on April 23, 2016, 11:37:28 AM
I reckon we are a sneaky chance.

Same.
Freo are far from their best and nowhere near where they were last year. When we last played them at Domain, they were average. Had we not had no. 13 "chipping" it, too afraid to engage, and 23 realising he was on a footy field (what the hell was that.... Oh Walters just sat on my shoulders and took a screamer), we were close to matching it.
Our best is a certain chance.

Jones hits the scoreboard and Gibbs hits his straps......
Go Blues

Its with much pleasure that I say "see above prediction - well IT HAPPENED"
Ugly arm wrestle of a game but...... We were slightly less ugly for 4 quarters and that was enough 4 points is 4 points. We just kept grinding it out and the rest is history.

Big cheer to the Blue baggers at the game - you were loud proud and relentlessly optimistic.

I hope this gives our young fellas a lift - they deserve it.
Go Blues.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #99
Next 3 weeks: Ess, Coll and PA (at home).

Good to have a win leading into the softer section of our draw.

Reply #100
I don't know about anyone else, but watching Jones line up for that last goal was a real sphincter tightening experience.

I was just glad it wasn't Levi

Reply #101
Actually, regarding Jones, they were the very things he did so well in the VFL last well. Led and used his body very well. Much different in the seniors admittedly but when the delivery is so poor it doesn't give one alot of hope. What it did do was allow Casboult to play up the ground, take a number of marks and get 16 touches, 6 more than Kreuzer and Phillips put together, and be some sort of influence. Good argument for Casboult being 2nd ruck.

Levi is a much better player at CHF than FF - almost impossible to spoil on the lead whereas he is too easily outnumbered and out-positioned at FF - doesn't hurt that he doesn't have to be relied upon to kick goals.

Reply #102
I still can't really believe it, we had a red hot crack and never dropped our heads but our skills at times were as bad as ever, Freo has totally lost the plot.
If we'd drafted Ciaran Byrne with pick 10 or 12 in the national draft we'd be rapt, I always thought Zac Tuohy showed plenty but if anything Byrne is ahead of him at the same stage.
I thought Kreuzer was much better this week, Casboult actually had a good game but his kicking for goal is atrocious and his non handball to Buckley was inexplicable, Jones was a non event for most of the day but it was nice to see him have a big hand in the finish.
Rowe was very good, so were Wright and Kerridge.
Cripps, Murphy and Gibbs were all top notch and Thomas did what we pay him for, but some of the lesser lights also put in big ones which is what we need to see more of.
Forgot to mention Ed Curnow, apart from his usual suspect foot skills he played a great game.
Excellent to be off the bottom at least, go Blues and bring on the Bumblers!

Starting Kreuzer in the ruck worked on 3 levels - we have better clearance effectiveness when he is in the middle - he is next to useless as a forward (and useless was more effective today) - and Phillips was more effective rucking late in the game when his leaping ability came to the fore

Reply #103
Wow Jeza....

I am not Liam Jones biggest fan, but he worked really hard today, got himself in good positions only to be missed by foot or overlooked. lamb beat Pearce one on one for a great goal but Liam had made a really good lead and should gave bee spotted up.

His two goals were reward for effort and we looked better with a few targets.

Even though he didn't trouble the stats man early in the game, I thought Jones got to more overhead marking contests to force the ball down than Levi or the ruckmen have been doing in recent weeks.

Reply #104
Even though he didn't trouble the stats man early in the game, I thought Jones got to more overhead marking contests to force the ball down than Levi or the ruckmen have been doing in recent weeks.

I'll have to watch the replay but I was watching him pretty closely and his efforts were precious few and really bad.

Anyway - can we trade Lachie Neale for Jones next year? Clubs always overrate players who kicked goals against them.