Skip to main content
Topic: Women's League (Read 32147 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Women's League

Reply #45
Let's not forget that many females might well prefer to watch women play rather than men.  They make up the majority of the population.  Does it really matter whether blokes turn out to watch it?

Also remember the Women's league is about giving females a chance to play at an elite level and that encourages grassroots participation by girls.

My apologies for the follow misogynous statement.

If MG or RJ types started playing AFL young blokes would be queuing up overnight to buy tickets! And it won't have to be anything as denigrating, sexist or manipulative as the LFL.

I know some other sports are going to hate this, including the current Women's Footy Leagues, but this is a serious opportunity for serious female athletes to earn a professional sports living.

I'm thinking;

Rucks;
Midfielders;
KPPs;

Anyone who thinks this is going to be boring semi-amateur and not elite sports-people is just kidding themselves. You will be seeing Olympic level athletes converted to playing AFL within just a handful of years just because of the money they can earn!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
You mean something like this?

Reply #47
You mean something like this?

Yep, at the moment Women's footy is dominated by a handful of serious footballers who win games off their own boot. That is not going to be the case forever, and you will see elite young sports-women choosing AFL as a career path within a generation.

Anyone who thinks the girls won't be serious or hard at it is surely joking, they are elite sports-people with attitude. If this competition is successful mens competitions will be using some of the women as role models. It is not a joke!

It may initially be costly for some other women's sports, but that will just make them lift their game and take remuneration for the girls more seriously. I'm all for it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
This should be fun. And if there happens to be Eye-Candy, not many people of either gender will complain.
It might take a while for women's footy to get serious money, but it wasn't long ago when the VFL-AFL didn't pay fully professional wages either. If women's footy can attract sponsorship and TV ratings, the money will come.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #49
Had Daisy Pearce on Triple M this afternoon and she gave quite a few details about the setup.

Basically the league is supposed to be 8 teams....although there is a possibility of it getting 10 as there has been a lot of interest so far.

In fact 13 AFL clubs have applied for a womens team. She didn't say who did (or didn't) though.

She said of the 8 teams, 4 of them will be from other states with QLD, NSW, SA and WA all getting 1 team each.

So that means only 4 vic teams (unless the afl expand from 8 to 10).

Of the 4 spots available, it is strongly suggested that the Dees and Dogs will get one each as they have been the pioneers of the whole thing.

That leaves 2 spots available for 8 vic teams!

Worst part about the whole thing is that Daisy, widely regarded as the best female player out there, was a mad Blues supporter growing up and still loves them, however, she is basically playing for the dees now and is currently undertaking a 2 year 'internship' at the dees as Paul Jackson (?) Dees President is looking after her and letting her go through any and all roles within the club over that period before she gets to choose something she wants to do for the club. From admin, to football department and everything else. They got her good. We missed our window. :(

Seems Daisy Pearce was on the mark.

Absolutely wrapped that we, along with the pies, were essentially able to beat out...
Richmond
St. Kilda
Geelong
and North Melbourne

for a team in vic. (hawks/bombers didnt apply for a license)
Along with the eagles who were pipped by freo, they will all be eligible for a team in 2018 when a possible expansiontakes place.

I'm not sure how much, if any, i'll ever watch, but it is a huge win for the club that we got a license! I suspect that 'navy nina' was a bit of a masterstroke it getting us across the line. Apart from her, i think i've only ever seen 1 other 'female equivalent' and that was for the pies. Magpie in a skirt. Coincedence?

Reply #50
Absolutely stoked that CarltonFC is on board.

As a proud dad of one of the women who plays footy, I can tell you that she, all her teammates, their junior teams, their opponents, etc... are thrilled that their is a pathway into the elite level of this great game for them.

I'll also say that if things don't fall her way at the doggies I'll try my best to get into a CFC jumper for next year.
Is she earmarked for the dogs in one of the 'marquee' spots?

You're not going to jump ship to the dogs are you?

Reply #51
Absolutely stoked that CarltonFC is on board.

As a proud dad of one of the women who plays footy, I can tell you that she, all her teammates, their junior teams, their opponents, etc... are thrilled that their is a pathway into the elite level of this great game for them.

I'll also say that if things don't fall her way at the doggies I'll try my best to get into a CFC jumper for next year.

For those doubting the credentials of women footballers take a look a some of the highlight packages about the place and that will be the level that you would see you' week in week out and it will only improve as the talent/development pathways get bigger & better in the years to come.

Will they fill the 'G or Etihad with spectators probably not early days but given time they'll get decent crowds as the product on display develops.
Much like the GWS is doing now.

Talented sportswomen playing our great game. Whats not to like. And more importantly the NAVY will be front and centre.

Best of luck to your daughter - irrespective of what colours she wears, I hope it's a long, successful and happy career.

Reply #52
Great news for the Navy Blues !!

Here is another big tick for our President, CEO and the rest of our off field team, to come out in front of 4 other Vic clubs is a good win.

All the best to all the girls, especially Steph Chiocci, who I would love to see in Navy Blue!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #53
Great news for the Navy Blues !!

Here is another big tick for our President, CEO and the rest of our off field team, to come out in front of 4 other Vic clubs is a good win.

All the best to all the girls, especially Steph Chiocci, who I would love to see in Navy Blue!
x2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55

You're not going to jump ship to the dogs are you?

No chance of jumping ship there Kruddler.
Will cheer my girl on wherever she may be.
But on all other occasions is 'Navy Blue from Womb to Tomb'

At the WB v WA Womens game the other Sunday, my wife & I cheered the WB girls on like manic supporters.
Stayed for the boys. WB 1st goal was greeted with wild enthusiasm by said wife.
To which I remarked WTF are you doing. Know your place please. Anymore of that and you'll walk home. I don't care how good looking you are.  :P

Reply #56

Up in the air ATM moment.
She's doing a fair bit of promo work for the doggies, but nothing mentioned about marquee spot.

To be honest the WB have been great with the way they've handled all their girls. Really professional.
Wouldn't be the end of the world if she remained there.

But the NAVY would be a great option...

Reply #58
Hey G2C,
Have a quiet word to your contacts at the CFC.
Start the ball rolling.
If you build it she may come...

;)
I might just do that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
So stoked to see the national womens league get off the ground, and even more proud that Carlton are going to be one of the inaugural clubs.

Really disappointed at some of the comments on here, which just highlight many of the obstacles that female sportspeople face each day. Thankfully attitudes like these are becoming a thing of the past, even if that's an extremely slow process. A lot of the comments made about the skill level of women footballers could be said of many men playing at suburban clubs, however those men often take home a bit of cash for their efforts. Until now even the best female footballers have been prohibited from being paid for their services which is yet another example of gender inequality in sport.

Not only do women in almost all sports, play second fiddle to the men in terms of facilities and resources, then they're mocked for not having the same level of skill as their male counterparts. If the same amount of money and time was poured into womens sport as it is men, there would be a massive difference in the output.

I'm so proud of all the women who will represent the 8 clubs next year, a lot of them have (until recently) done it with so fewer opportunities than far less talented men. I've had the privilege of playing with or against a number of them and have seen first hand how hard they work to achieve what they have.  Also very thankful to the AFL for stepping in about 5 years ago and investing heavily in the development of womens footy.

Now here's hoping the Billie Judd and the Carrazzo triplets can come along and represent the Blues one day  ;)