Skip to main content
Topic: RD 22 : Blues Choke Against Injectors (Anti-Losing Rage) (Read 92881 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 22 : Blues Choke Against Injectors (Anti-Losing Rage)

Reply #240
Fair enough Big Jack.

Then I ask the Question again. Why pay out Ratts at $900k or whatever and bring in mick for $3 mill if we fundamentally can't improve the players we have. Seems like a waste of money... no?

A scapegoat was required.....Ratten fitted the bill, Mick was available, CFC have been obsessed with him being our coach ever since the late Richard Pratt decreed it.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #241
Fair enough Big Jack.

Then I ask the Question again. Why pay out Ratts at $900k or whatever and bring in mick for $3 mill if we fundamentally can't improve the players we have. Seems like a waste of money... no?

Because Mick knows how to build a list and run a club.

If this is indeed the case (and admittedly has been proven), then 2014 is gonna be a VERY big year for Mick.....very big.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #242
Fair enough Big Jack.

And where are we at 12 months in?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #243
Fair enough Big Jack.

If this is indeed the case (and admittedly has been proven), then 2014 is gonna be a VERY big year for Mick.....very big.

Yes indeed - this is now very very apparent and as you stated earlier Brettie, probably Mick's biggest ever challenge.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #244
Who was Goddard's opponent last night btw?

That's a good question. I thought it was Gibbs but I think he was on Watson for a large part of the night.

Irony - thy name is Carlton.  I see that Pagan is quoted in today's paper as saying the AFL have learnt their lesson via the Carlton salary cap punishment and won't ever go so hard at any other team again.

Gosh, that's lucky.  AFL: "Er, sorry old chaps. We fully didn't expect to push you into the crap for 20 years. No hard feelings, eh what."

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #245
*sigh*....another with the "We're not good enough" crap as the sole excuse....but then you also go on & (correctly mind you) agree with Cookie in regards to being mentally weak.....so which is it rocky? Btw, not having a crack also equates to not running hard enough both ways, not working hard enough to create opportunities for your teammates, not ensuring you've covered all bases around the stoppages, not sticking diligently to your opponent. Generally when you lose a game of footy, it's because a team wasn't good enough - yeah, we all get that already....how bout we take the simplicity out of it & dig a bit deeper than that, as it was there for all to see last night.
Sorry Brettie but trying to dig deep into all the problems we have as a team would take pages and pages and for all that effort what would it get me other than RSI? I guess what I'm saying is we're just not at the Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney level who if they play at 60% still win. All our planets need to be in alignment for us to get over the line and so little things like Brock going off or missing early shots on goal can have a dramatic impact.
Our deficiencies get highlighted by plenty on these pages they don't need me to bang on about how shizen we are and how Mick's a disaster and that Murph should step down. I'm just offering an opinion not trying to solve the problem, as if I ever could by posting something on a website.

Reply #246
Three other observations from yesterday's game (blood pressure coming down ... slowly).

1. Betts remonstrating with the umpire and telling him he was just trying "to get inside his [opponent] head".  My old man always told me that if you argue with the umpire or get involved in sledging it's a sign that you're not concentrating or are 100% focused on the game.  He was right.

2. Ryder's mark to kick that goal which put them in front made me wonder - when was the last time Warnock took an overhead mark?

3. Just watching that abysmal mixup between Simpson and McInnes again - sorry to say that was Simmo's fault (notwithstanding he shouldn't have had to crumb the ball in the first place because of McInnes' terrible panic attack). All he had to do was take one step to his left - McInnes at least was doing the right thing and trying to shepherd him to go that way.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #247
Obviously MM could not go out there and kick goals for our players, but I am really becoming concerned if we have got the right coach. So few of our players have taken steps forward, with many treading water or going backwards.

Looks like our gameplay often consists of bombing it long, continually along the boundary. The pressure must be building for MM.

Reply #248
Fair enough Big Jack.

And where are we at 12 months in?

The underlying problems at Carlton run alot deeper than 12 months. Think MM worked out now what he has walked into. Years of  underlying problems relating to work ethics, attitude and culture going back 12 years won't get fixed in a year. Years of not trying back and giving up easily in mid 2000's, tanking, etc.. means the white flag is easy to raise if it gets too hard. similar situation like for Parko in his first year back in 1991, after we lost our last 8, he cleaned the list out with blokes that wouldn't work, as well as  those not up to it, got in bloke that would, built the list that way and won a flag 4 years later.

Key is to get the pride back into the place otherwise it'll all be like shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic. You're nothing without the "want" and pride.

Reply #249
The only way I can accept this is if this becomes "watershed" day and vowing this type of sh1t will never happen again. Much like Geelong in 2007 after round 5 in where they sat 2-3 after another p1ss poor loss.

Other than that I want a complete review club and changes made because this simply isn't good enough. Work ethic, attitude, culture that IS the problem in our club. We can play alright but simply don't want it badly enough and not willing to work for it.

We have been having them each year for a while!

the only watershed moment that's happening is when muphy takes a pi$$ in the edelsten sponsored urinal

Reply #250
Fair enough Big Jack.

Yes indeed - this is now very very apparent and as you stated earlier Brettie, probably Mick's biggest ever challenge.
A mystery wrapped in an inigma is our team ATM. We are good enough to comprehensively win the scoring shot contest but still lose the game. We have destroyed three seasons under two coaches by having multi-consecutive-game brain fades that defy explanation, or at least have not been explained to supporters. So we are left to make guesses. No doubt MM has his work cut out addressing the mental weaknesses of the players and the team as a whole. He has to as there aren't no quick fixes any more and no demands for half the list to be chopped can change that.

From what I saw high in the northern stand last night and over recent games is that even some pretty good teams are having a hard time getting through us. The scum aren't that good but they have not been the only ones who've had players pirouetting for want of good options coming out of defence. Given that our boys can just about manage that, why are they so slow to pick up the rest of what's needed? Is it that, until this year for almost all, their only prolonged AFL experience of coaching was provided by Ratts? It might be one facet of a complex picture. Perhaps.

No doubt we need an injection of class and strength in the midfield and a couple of effective talks. But we need a better mindset at least as much.

@laj, good points especially regarding the early 90s.

Membership? Each to their own and no one should be too judgmental of the disillusioned. We've put up with a hell of a lot and the cohesion and spirit of striving for excellence we had in better days is missing. It won't return quickly or without unity and a lot of hard work. Certainly the club and the players especially need a stinging message that their stocks are dire with supporters. There may be a good way to do that. I'm sure there is some spark of realisation of that at Prinny Park. I'll be buying mine as usual next year.

Reply #251

the only watershed moment that's happening is when muphy takes a pi$$ in the edelsten sponsored urinal
[/quote]

At least murphy is finally doing something then!

Reply #252
We tend to throw the toys out of the cot when we loose to this mob. Always have and always will!

Reply #253
@Swan43
Swan, you make a valid point that we do put pressure on teams in their D50 and make them work to break out. However, once they do get out and goal side of our fwd press then we are more often than not shot to pieces and our defence is left fully exposed because our mids can't or won't get back. I watch it time and time again.

The other major weakness is that we lack proper composure in defence leading to many panicky clearances and turnovers that put the opposition into dangerous attacking positions, often in the corridor right in front of goal - again, it happens all the time.

We give away a lot of goals like that, and if, as we did last night, we also squander our own hard-won chances, then it's an obvious recipe for a loss.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #254
WHY      didnt Waite go forward he has history against this mob and Hurley was having his way with him

WHY      doesnt Gibbs play as an offence midfielder, not a run with and not a Half Back

WHY      does a man who is 206cm tall not no how to take an overhead catch

WHY      isnt Kade Simpson our Captain, simply sensational last night, lone hand.

WHY      would any player of note want to come to Carlton

WHY      is MM so crapty all the time when dealing with media. Grow up act your age and realise its part of
            your job.

WHY      when we are supposed to have a gameplan based on defence, do the opposition find so much     
             space.

Its now 3.45pm and ive just come out of the bedroom. Just too angry to speak to anyone!

Eat more chooks