Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 17: Northern Blues vs Werribee (Read 15520 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 17: Northern Blues vs Werribee

Reply #30
Peter Jackson VFL 2016
Werribee   6.3  10.9  14.13  25.15 (165)
Northern Blues   4.4  9.6  12.8  15.12 (102)

GOALS:
Werribee: Durdin 4 Daw 4 Fordham 2 Wagner 2 Hanson 2 McKay 2 Maishman 2 Corbett 2 Nahas  Jones  McFarlane  Conway  Mountford
Northern Blues: Kerbatieh 5 Jaksch 2 Smith 2 Wilson  Wood  Totevski  Tutt  Whiley  Lamb

BEST:
Werribee: McFarlane Gribble Mountford Fordham Hanson Sodomaco
Northern Blues: Wilson Kerbatieh Whiley Jones Jaksch Tutt

9 goals to 3 in the last quarter was particularly poor. Definitely a big step backwards today.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #31
And those posters are smarter than others. He's had 2 good games out of 3. Why wouldn't you give him a run for experience against Brisbane or Essendon. Nothing like a bit of experience at the top end even if he hardly gets a kick. Can only help.

No, he hasn't had two good games out of three; he has scored some opportunistic goals but hasn't had enough of the ball or been anywhere consistent enough to justify selection.  If he can be completely shut down by a VFL defender, he would be at the mercy of any ordinary AFL player.

McKay is really showing the effects of a long time out of footy.  His brother is bigger, stronger, fitter and having a greater impact.  He lacks Harry's football nous though.

Bolton knows the importance of confidence and earning promotion and Harry will have to show dramatic improvement to make his debut this season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
Jaksch had a good game today, remembering he played at both ends of the ground, not so much as a full time key forward. He's had a good VFL why wouldn't he make a valuable player down the track given he's 21 and still developing. Might even be in defence.

You thought he wasn't much chop when he got 20 touches and  4 goals. Makes one wonder about an agenda.

I'd love Jaksch to come good.  A versatile tall would make such a difference to our team but Jaksch hasn't shown that he's that player yet.  As others have pointed out, his lack of flexibility seems to limit his work once the ball hits the ground.  He takes some good marks but gets out marked too often and he doesn't spoil effectively.  Unless he can become less one-dimensional, I can't see him making the grade.

The game I watched live was NBs vs Box Hill and Jaksch kicked 4 goals and had 13 disposals.  However, his effort and consistency was poor and we relied on Phillips and Jones as our key forwards.  Silvagni kicked 4 goals too but hardly got a touch in the first half.  I didn't have him in my best players either.

I can't help thinking that SOS would have not been keen to let Jaksch go if he'd shown the potential that we thought he had.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
LAJ old son it would seem you have purchased a number of tickets in the KJ fan club!

Can't see him ever making it as a key forward for all the reasons many have stated. If he was to make it at AFL level I can only see that being as a defender but even then he's only shown something down back for the magoos as he plays loose in defence - can pick his contests. How would he go with being accountable to an opponent?

So disappointing to see the NBs fold up in the second half... and you can only point the finger at the midfield. Whiley tried hard as did Wilson. Tutt was busy but sheesh, Rainbow and Cuningham in particular were so ordinary. And hard to see Lamb strengthening his case for a recall to the seniors.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #34
Just woeful today IMO...wasnt even the real deal AFL players that towelled us..ex VFL cats in Gribble and Mcfarlane pantsed us all day, liked the look of Sam Durdin...why is it he can kick straight with a nice kicking action and look like a footballer yet our senior forwards and VFL hackers like Jones look like they have been plucked from some local suburban soccer team and never seen a football before...

10-15 players need chopping..its time the likes of Simpson, Docherty, Cripps etc had some real decent footballers to play with instead of the garbage we have on the list masquerading as AFL standard players......

Reply #35
I said when they were drafted that Ben would end up the better player, although probably not the fairest time to reflect on that prediction, with the injury time Harry has had. I think the truth of my prediction is still to be determined.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #36
And those posters are smarter than others. He's had 2 good games out of 3. Why wouldn't you give him a run for experience against Brisbane or Essendon. Nothing like a bit of experience at the top end even if he hardly gets a kick. Can only help.
Turn it up mate, he couldn't get a kick or mark in Auskick game on todays effort/performance. Did you watch the feckin thing? He is a long way away from playing ones. Anyone who thinks otherwise has rocks in their head.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
I said when they were drafted that Ben would end up the better player, although probably not the fairest time to reflect on that prediction, with the injury time Harry has had. I think the truth of my prediction is still to be determined.

Harry looks like a player with little preseason and a crook back and to be fair to him he hasnt got much to play with in the NB's as far as quality service....Harry reminds me of Travis Cloke and I think he will become a power forward who might take a bit more time but be a cornerstone player.
Ben has it easier playing with a more talented cohesive team and he probably has a bit more agro and spite about his game and he displays plenty of confidence.....Sam Durdin was the one who impressed me...classy finisher and capable below his knees....its funny how some clubs try for years to acquire KP players but other clubs like Nth just pick them up with ease...

Reply #38
Just woeful today IMO...wasnt even the real deal AFL players that towelled us..ex VFL cats in Gribble and Mcfarlane pantsed us all day, liked the look of Sam Durdin...why is it he can kick straight with a nice kicking action and look like a footballer yet our senior forwards and VFL hackers like Jones look like they have been plucked from some local suburban soccer team and never seen a football before...

10-15 players need chopping..its time the likes of Simpson, Docherty, Cripps etc had some real decent footballers to play with instead of the garbage we have on the list masquerading as AFL standard players......
I admit to being very frustrated. They few times we have managed to get on TV and we've screwed up badly each time. It is almost enough to want us NOT to be televised if we are going to produce rubbish like that.
I have been watching my recording of the game as I was out for most of the day. I am glad I did not see it live.

Some statistics that came up through the game:
Northern Blues are bottom of the tackle list. Stone motherless last. In the first quarter we tackled like we meant it. Then what happened?
Centre Clearances: Can't remember which number we were, but it was bottom 3.
Contested Ball: Also hopeless.

Considering how these things are strengths for the seniors, how come they are so bad in the NBs?

Development League:
Werribee 9.7.61, Northern Blues 9.13.67

GOALS: Brown 2, Cyster 2, Corboy, Stevens, Bolger, Jacques, Barrett.
DISPOSALS: Roos 35, Cripps 28, Ballard 27, Stevens 26, Brown 21, Jacques 21
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #39
Peter Jackson VFL 2016
Werribee   6.3  10.9  14.13  25.15 (165)
Northern Blues   4.4  9.6  12.8  15.12 (102)

GOALS:
Werribee: Durdin 4 Daw 4 Fordham 2 Wagner 2 Hanson 2 McKay 2 Maishman 2 Corbett 2 Nahas  Jones  McFarlane  Conway  Mountford
Northern Blues: Kerbatieh 5 Jaksch 2 Smith 2 Wilson  Wood  Totevski  Tutt  Whiley  Lamb

BEST:
Werribee: McFarlane Gribble Mountford Fordham Hanson Sodomaco
Northern Blues: Wilson Kerbatieh Whiley Jones Jaksch Tutt

9 goals to 3 in the last quarter was particularly poor. Definitely a big step backwards today.

GOALS: Kerbatieh 5, Smith 2, Jaksch 2, Lamb, Wilson, Whiley, Tutt, Wood, Totevski.
DISPOSALS: Wilson 28, Whiley 25, T. Jones 25, Kerbatieh 22, Strachan 21, Tutt 20

Lamb was good early, but he fell out of the game totally.
Hamstring to Dick may finish his season.
Whiley was very good early, but couldn't keep it up.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
We were competitive for three quarters but didn't really show up after three quarter time.

To borrow Bolton's phrase, there were green shoots from Cuningham and Skittles.  Smith showed that his best is outstanding but I think it's too little too late.  Whiley was good and Gowers was OK.

Kerbatiah continues to impress and I'd be annoyed if another club snagged him before we can.

Reply #41
We were competitive for three quarters but didn't really show up after three quarter time.

To borrow Bolton's phrase, there were green shoots from Cuningham and Skittles.  Smith showed that his best is outstanding but I think it's too little too late.  Whiley was good and Gowers was OK.

Kerbatiah continues to impress and I'd be annoyed if another club snagged him before we can.
That pretty much summarises it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42

The commentators said that SOS put Kerbatiah in the NBs as a potential rookie pick. He might get snapped up before we get a chance, though.

Reply #43

Like to see the evidence of 'two good games'!!! Freezing on the terraces at Ikon against Footscray, I didn't notice a 'good game'. He got a couple of touches but that was it. 

8 possessions the week before isn't actually tearing it up either!!!
He simply is not ready.  His brother with an uninterrupted seasons shows the value of continuity. 

......and some posters want him in the seniors!!!

Reply #44

Fair enough.
Live Long and Prosper!