Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 17: Northern Blues vs Werribee (Read 15524 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 17: Northern Blues vs Werribee

Reply #45
No, he hasn't had two good games out of three; he has scored some opportunistic goals but hasn't had enough of the ball or been anywhere consistent enough to justify selection.  If he can be completely shut down by a VFL defender, he would be at the mercy of any ordinary AFL player.

McKay is really showing the effects of a long time out of footy.  His brother is bigger, stronger, fitter and having a greater impact.  He lacks Harry's football nous though.

Bolton knows the importance of confidence and earning promotion and Harry will have to show dramatic improvement to make his debut this season.

I am tipping he will play the last game of the year against a bruised and battered Bombers, hopefully kick 2 or 3, and get the taste in his mouth.  May make his pre-season work just a little more focussed......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #46
I am tipping he will play the last game of the year against a bruised and battered Bombers, hopefully kick 2 or 3, and get the taste in his mouth.  May make his pre-season work just a little more focussed......

That's my take on it too. He had no impact on the game yesterday and looked quite lost at times. Personally, and this'll get howled down, but I would bring him in sooner and give him at least 2 games to taste what it's like.

Cuningham is a conundrum... once the pressure is on he just goes missing, no imposing of himself on the contest... reminds me of too many we've recruited over the past decade or more. Hopefully he just needs more time to regain match fitness.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #47
That's my take on it too. He had no impact on the game yesterday and looked quite lost at times. Personally, and this'll get howled down, but I would bring him in sooner and give him at least 2 games to taste what it's like.

Cuningham is a conundrum... once the pressure is on he just goes missing, no imposing of himself on the contest... reminds me of too many we've recruited over the past decade or more. Hopefully he just needs more time to regain match fitness.
I guess we will see if the MC think this is a good idea or not in the coming weeks. Generally though, if the big fellas aren't ready, they aren't ready and don't get a gig until they are. I just don't see the need to rush this kid in given his limited game time and training this year. Its a marathon not a sprint kiddies.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Cuningham is a kid.....plain stupid trying to assess him this year. especially given injury hiccups.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
McKay, Curnow, Weitering, Cuningham and Silvagni have all had injuries this year.

Hopefully, this has them stronger mentally and physically as time goes on, and also to become more resilient men and footballers.

On McKay and Cuningham, it does not bother me in the slightest if they do not play AFL this year. In fact, they probably shouldn't. They'll be better off for playing weekly footy without interruption and then getting stuck into another preseason. Same for the others.

Calling these kids out thus far, especially when some have missed large chunks of footy and conditioning is silly.

I'm not worried. Let's look at the again this time next year with what will hopefully be uninterrupted footy for them all.

Unfortunately, the previous draftees in DVR, Smith and Foster seem to be fizzing. Maybe we might rookie list some of them?

Reply #50
Just woeful today IMO...wasnt even the real deal AFL players that towelled us..ex VFL cats in Gribble and Mcfarlane pantsed us all day, liked the look of Sam Durdin...why is it he can kick straight with a nice kicking action and look like a footballer yet our senior forwards and VFL hackers like Jones look like they have been plucked from some local suburban soccer team and never seen a football before...

10-15 players need chopping..its time the likes of Simpson, Docherty, Cripps etc had some real decent footballers to play with instead of the garbage we have on the list masquerading as AFL standard players......

Agreed!!!

Reply #51
McKay, Curnow, Weitering, Cuningham and Silvagni have all had injuries this year.

Hopefully, this has them stronger mentally and physically as time goes on, and also to become more resilient men and footballers.

On McKay and Cuningham, it does not bother me in the slightest if they do not play AFL this year. In fact, they probably shouldn't. They'll be better off for playing weekly footy without interruption and then getting stuck into another preseason. Same for the others.

Calling these kids out thus far, especially when some have missed large chunks of footy and conditioning is silly.

I'm not worried. Let's look at the again this time next year with what will hopefully be uninterrupted footy for them all.

Unfortunately, the previous draftees in DVR, Smith and Foster seem to be fizzing. Maybe we might rookie list some of them?

Agree...McKay, C.Curnow and Cunningham need another season before they can be judged and McKay probably needs another couple.....seen enough of Charlie to know he will make it anyway...

DVR, Smith and Foster are delist material IMO ...

Reply #52
There are some very, very ordinary players in that NB team. They also appear to lack strong leadership from the older VFL players. This is typified by undisciplined acts and lapses during games. While the senior team has a focus on playing better for longer, the  VFL side continues to be inconsistent and at times insipid.

Reply #53
There are some very, very ordinary players in that NB team. They also appear to lack strong leadership from the older VFL players. This is typified by undisciplined acts and lapses during games. While the senior team has a focus on playing better for longer, the  VFL side continues to be inconsistent and at times insipid.

Very true.

The club should put some effort into recruiting a couple of experienced on field leaders to help with the development of the youngsters and settle things down when necessary.  I suppose we tried that with Kieran McGuinness but his unfortunate neck injury ended that part of his involvement.

It could be a good opportunity for recently retired AFL players who want a pathway to coaching and still have the ability and desire to play VFL.  
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54
Very true.

The club should put some effort into recruiting a couple of experienced on field leaders to help with the development of the youngsters and settle things down when necessary.  I suppose we tried that with Kieran McGuinness but his unfortunate neck injury ended that part of his involvement.

It could be a good opportunity for recently retired AFL players who want a pathway to coaching and still have the ability and desire to play VFL.
Jordan Russell doing a good job leading the baby doggies.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
The northern blues go alright. Strikes me that they don't have the depth of talent in the non-AFL listed players and are reliant on Tutt / Whiley / Graham. When those guys are out or off they struggle. Otherwise they're alright.

I thought DVR showed enough again to think he's worth a crack in the 1s. Beautiful kick - defensive running not great. Needs one hellish preseason next year to see if he can build up a tank.

Jaksch took some really nice contested marks but needs to put lots of weight on.

Big American could be good. Foster looks ok. Cunningham looks like he's not right and shouldn't be playing. Gowers is a goer.

Smith, Jones, Tutt and Whiley certainly in some trouble for next season - paying out a couple of contracts could be an option.

Reply #56

Some of this is telling:
[1] Note how many NB players were at the bottom end of the points tally. 12 out of the bottom 16, including 8 Carlton listed players.
[2] Cuningham has 20 possessions: very much a positive for him.
[3] 6 possessions each for Glass-McCasker and Foster. I think we'll keep Glass-McCasker, but Foster has probably done his dash.
[4] Lamb got 13 possessions and did OK when he get it, but he really needs to get more of the pill.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #57
Very true.

McGuinness has had a terrible run with injury. He was a great level head and an excellent example to follow: his injury hurt us a lot more than would be expected simply because we are a very young and inexperienced team.
We badly need a few other experienced players like him, or Jordan Russell, who can stand when the chips are down and show the way.

Jamo could have been someone like that this year but for his issues. He just hasn't been able to get on the park.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #58
The northern blues go alright. Strikes me that they don't have the depth of talent in the non-AFL listed players and are reliant on Tutt / Whiley / Graham. When those guys are out or off they struggle. Otherwise they're alright.

I thought DVR showed enough again to think he's worth a crack in the 1s. Beautiful kick - defensive running not great. Needs one hellish preseason next year to see if he can build up a tank.

Jaksch took some really nice contested marks but needs to put lots of weight on.

Big American could be good. Foster looks ok. Cunningham looks like he's not right and shouldn't be playing. Gowers is a goer.

Smith, Jones, Tutt and Whiley certainly in some trouble for next season - paying out a couple of contracts could be an option.

Go alright??.. ....they got hammered by 10 goals...... ::) hate to see them when they are going bad....
Tom Wilson is probably their most consistent player and he isnt a listed player
Foster looks ok???...... Dogs ignored him as a father/son.....reckon they got that right...
You can add DVR to Smith, Jones, Tutt, Whiley, Dick, Wood, Boekhorst...
Gowers is ok as is JGM ...

Cunningham and McKay need to be seen as 1st year players next season..