Skip to main content
Topic: Cripps (Read 24826 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cripps

Reply #105
It will be harder for Cripps than Williams or Mitchell, at Crippa's size moving laterally quickly is so much harder and it just takes a fraction of a second longer to get foot to ball. That leaves him open for opponents to get a hand on the pill.

But the biggest thing is the absence of foot skills on their off-side. Diesel, Mitchell, Scotland, etc., etc., they all are hard to tell if they are left or right. The sad part of this is that it is something you can learn yet so many AFL level players cannot seem to master it.

Carrazzo was a great example, was shizen on his preferred foot and became proficient on his non-preferred foot by the end of his career, so much so people thought he was eventually better on his non-preferred.

Because he practiced. Its a funny thing that so many league players are still unable to kick with both feet. Mitchell is applauded for his skills, but it should be more common. The expectations are improving, but there remains an old fashioned view that kicking techniques can't be taught. Greg Williams taught himself to kick on his non-preferred side after an injury. Little wonder he was so dominant.

Hope cripps can really develop his kicking. Its not always easy for a big bloke, and his tendency is to get his arms up for the handpass. More kicking would make him even more effective.

Reply #106
Afl.com Record breakers 2016

"And although Carlton young gun Patrick 'The Extractor' Cripps was a shock exclusion from the All Australian 40-man squad, he's now the AFL's record-holder for getting first hands to the footy at stoppages more than anyone else."

Go figure, and if you can, please let me know ???

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #107
Afl.com Record breakers 2016

"And although Carlton young gun Patrick 'The Extractor' Cripps was a shock exclusion from the All Australian 40-man squad, he's now the AFL's record-holder for getting first hands to the footy at stoppages more than anyone else."

Go figure, and if you can, please let me know ???
Dermie the brain surgeon today on SEN said Hawthorn rarely win clearances and they have won the last three premierships. So its important. ::)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #108
I was reading the Buckenara article about why we should draft Boomer Harvey, for a moment Bucks had me convinced he was writing sensibly then he wrote this;

Quote from: Gary Buckenara
Patrick Cripps will be an A-grade player but he’s not there yet, he’s a B-grader at the moment and Sam Docherty has pushed himself into the B-grade category after a brilliant season.

Obviously we have been doing stuff all wrong, looking for "A" graders when all we really needed to do was to recruit some more "B" Graders. ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #109
Dermie the brain surgeon today on SEN said Hawthorn rarely win clearances and they have won the last three premierships. So its important. ::)

The Hawks just pressure other teams to turn the ball over if they win the clearance. We can win plenty of clearances but manage to turn the ball over far too often in subsequent play. If we could fix that it would result in a big improvement for us.
Reality always wins in the end.