Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 23: Post Game Reflection: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 23749 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 23: Post Game Reflection: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #15
Who do you think will be shown the door?

Any clues on where we are at with Mitchell or Omeara??

You'll find out soon enough who gets the boot. Won't put anything here.
Mitchell doesn't want to come. Steve Trigg would love O'meara,  but there is resistance from others because he'd be a huge risk with his wonky knee, hasn't played for two years, and would cost too much.
I reckon 100/1 to come to us, unless we can get him cheap.
Our main aim is to get key position players. Harry Mackay is at least a year away from filling the position for which we got him. Has to come through pre-season unscathed and will be taken along slowly from what I'm told. Doesn't mean he won't get a game next year, he will, but his body is still filling out and he's at least 12 months away from fulfilling his potential.

I know it's hard, I'm in my 60's and want to see another flag before I Kark it. But, like everyone else, we have to be patient.

Reply #16
If Brisbane gets thumped tomorrow and therefore rips the wooden spoon out of EFC's grasp, we'll look at this loss as a godsend.  The last thing we want is for the Bombers to have 1st pick in the PSD. 

Reply #17
And we provide Essendon with yet another highlight of another season.....un-friggin-believable.

Nick Graham.....no thanks.

Levi Casboult.....no thanks.

Dylan Buckley.....no thanks.

Shameful display by the defensive half of the ground.....simply disgraceful. Sam Rowe played as badly as I've seen any AFL footballer play this year.....or possibly ever - back to his spuddly best today was Sam.

Not a single positive can come from this game......not a single one. The few players who had a crack are not a positive, as that's what's expected of an AFL footballer in the first place.

Putrid in every way imaginable......fancy finishing a season, supposedly filled with so much promise, like this.

What a shi!ful day for the Club.....glad I don't have to front up to watch them again this year....I need a break as much as they were already on theirs today.....

We started the year with a loss to this mob (at Visy Park back in Feb) and we've finished with one......oh the joy.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #18
And we provide Essendon with yet another highlight of another season.....un-friggin-believable.

Shameful display by the defensive half of the ground.....simply disgraceful. Sam Rowe played as badly as I've seen any AFL footballer play this year.....or possibly ever - back to his spuddly best today was Sam.

Not a single positive can come from this game......not a single one. The few players who had a crack are not a positive, as that's what's expected of an AFL footballer in the first place.

Putrid in every way imaginable......fancy finishing a season, supposedly filled with so much promise, like this.

What a shi!ful day for the Club.....glad I don't have to front up to watch them again this year....I need a break as much as they were already on theirs today.....

We started the year with a loss to this mob (at Visy Park back in Feb) and we've finished with one......oh the joy.

Agree an absolute disgrace.

On the players you listed. Agree on casboult and graham, Buckley I believe has great talent and can be turned around.

Reply #19
Can't recall the last time that an opposition side had two or three men loose on the wings of the MCG all day?

Brendan Bolton was slaughtered today.
StK A few weeks ago.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20

Buckley will make it, seen enough layer in the year. Run, hardness, speed and can really kick a goal. Just needs consistency. Casboult just signed and we need him while young one's develop. Took 7 marks and wasn't the worst but he best be kicking at goals all summer until his leg drops off. His marking is great, his goal kicking is deplorable. 

Take away the  6 wins from 7 games we won one of the last 15. Thaat is $hit, don't care how much we are re-building. 6 from 7 showed we should be better. Once again our p1ss weak on field culture reared it's ugly head. How many time do we see this side simply not turn up or give up. We can change the players all we want, don't change our on-field attitude and culture then it won't matter.

Reply #22
That loss tells me we are further away from where we need to be than I thought. Either that or our blokes just didnt give a feck today and were already thinking of the break. To lose against a side cobbled together that would get beaten by most of the VFL sides in the comp is an utter disgrace. How that happened is beyond me. Feck reset, the REBUILD starts now as far as Im concerned. Feck trading or JOM or Prestia or Fyfe or whoever the hell is available. Go to the draft and pick kids and build from the ground up. No more retreads, no more broken hacks, no more retirement village testers, its Kindergarden time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23
Cue was firmly placed in the rack today but the axe is about to be fetched out of the shed on that perormance. Could they have been any worse, especially v. the Bummers?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24
It's peculiar how W/L pans out. I'm left wondering if my tipping has been a hoodoo for the boys.. :-[

I tip us when we play lowly sorts (lions, drug cheats) and we lose.
I tip against us when we're up against the in-form sides (cats, Melbourne) and we win.

Know where I can get tipping advice ^-^, or perhaps I should opt out.

Bring on the draft and bring in some class.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #25
Just too many ordinary players running around for us;

Casboult signs a new contract and then dishes up that crap?  WTF? Is this how you pay back a club for showing faith?

Thomas... a total liability...so cooked that the BBQ is black and crispy... please retire, please we're begging you.

Graham... too slow, falls over , can't stick a tackle and awful with ball in hand... not hard enough to play inside, too slow and not good enough with ball in hand to play outside.   Delist.

Jones... its all been said before... a trier at best. 

Armfield... another trier who just doesn't impact often enough.

Kruezer... all heart and effort, little impact.

Touhy... not a defender's a-hole; Byrne is 10 times the player this bloke is.

I don't think he is worth pick #5 but I'm warming to Patrick Kerr - we need a smart forward that demands the ball from the ball carrier ( directs it to where he wants it) who can then go back and finish the job.  Casboult and Jones run around like headless chooks and need to take pack marks to win the ball, then they burn 3 out of 4 shots on goal.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #26
Buckley will make it, seen enough layer in the year. Run, hardness, speed and can really kick a goal. Just needs consistency.

Buckley was in Docherty's draft, he does some starry things but does just as many dopey things and goes missing for extended periods in games.
We've got plenty to delist in the queue and he's not near the front but I fear we'll still be talking about his potential in two or three years from now.
There are half a dozen in the magoos who will be cut and there's a limit to how many AFL standard footballers you can pick up in any one year, Buckley, Casboult, Graham, Rowe, Sumner, White, Jones and Armfield are probably safe although none of them would get a game in a Premiership team.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #27
4 goal loss in the end, but it felt like 10.

They will get a lot of good players back next season and their belief that they can challenge for finals is not entirely unjustified.

Reply #28
Meh, I said we would lose. They had more to play for (pride) and it showed. Many guys stat chased today and got caught out.

I don't think it was a Bolton thing, just a lazy attitude thing.

We finish with pick 4/5 and can turn over some absolute suburban footballers on our list.

We can get hung up about it being Essendon but who cares. They done themselves out of a number 1 pick.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #29
4 goal loss in the end, but it felt like 10.

They will get a lot of good players back next season and their belief that they can challenge for finals is not entirely unjustified.

They'll be well ahead of us that's for sure!
Reality always wins in the end.