Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 23: Post Game Reflection: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 23743 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 23: Post Game Reflection: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #30
Losing like we did today is corrosive for the soul - like swallowing a litre of turned battery acid.

Reply #31
Bombers know if they hard enough we will fold up, we just have too many physically and mentally weak players...today was pathetic, they are rubbish and we couldnt handle them.
Scary thing is next season they will be better when they get their dirty dozen -1 back....unless we get some more muscle who can play into the team we will be fodder for them again...
I guess though its shows who needs to be culled and its a long list....

Reply #32
Oh well. I stopped caring after the 10 minute mark of the third quarter. Spent the rest of the game calming down my old man who was really cross.

The lack of work rate really stood out today, followed closely by a lack of run and pace. Similar problems, in that the inability or unwillingness to get to a good position will cancel out any advantage in skill. And we dont have much in the way of skill.

Some players for the future include cunningham, who looked comfortable out there in the second half, making good position and getting involved. Our other first year players continue to promise and deliver. Docherty and gibbs had so so games today, so with cripps carrying such a load, we were undermanned through the middle. We actually missed curnow today. His defensive efforts are important, even if his disposal remains inconsistent.

The lack of forward pressure today stood out as a failing. Sumner was way off the pace, and the undynamic duo of casboult and jones made it difficult. Wright performed well and was rewarded with 3 goals. But overall, the forwards have little ability to create space and maintain shape.

We are kidding ourselves if we think that the likes of buckley and casboult are part of our future in any serious way. Buckley is not as quick as he thinks he is, nor can stick tackles as he is too slight. His kick high and slow into the fwd 50 in the second quarter was schoolboy stuff.  Casboult, aside from his appalling skills, simply doesn't work hard enough.

Thomas may as well retire, and it is difficult to see him getting many games next year if he stays on.

We have so little depth in the seconds that we must cross fingers and toes for our intake this draft and next to come good. For the awful drafting and development of the past decade was on show today.

Reply #33
We can get hung up about it being Essendon but who cares. They done themselves out of a number 1 pick.

Have they done themselves a lot of harm if they lose pick 1?
Is there a standout?
Pick 2 is probably as good as pick 1

PSD may be a different story. We'll have to wait and see what's available.

Reply #35
On the bright side - for those who are passionate about the old Vic rivalries,
Syd v Tiggers 100 - 12 with half a game to go....
And the 12 points come from 20 odd inside 50's
Go on smile, you know you want to ;) we'll all feel a little lighter in a week.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #36
Well, that's enough moping. Now!, who's for the chop! >:D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #37

We can get hung up about it being Essendon but who cares. They done themselves out of a number 1 pick.

I'd take an Essendon victory over pick 1 any day of the week.

We already have three of the buggers - handy players, but hardly the stuff of dreams.

Reply #38
Us Oldies are as "mad as hell"!
We're no certainty to see another flag :(

C'mon Lods, it's an incentive to keep living!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
If the last 15 years has taught us anything is that today was a forgone conclusion and was always going to happen.

Has there ever been a club able to disappoint their fans than Carlton outside of Richmond?

It's days like today that make me embarrassed to follow this once great club. We're an absolute joke. I hope SOS and Bolton start the delisting process straight after that game. I don't give a sh*t who is shown the door outside of Cripps, Docherty, Silvagni and Weitering. The rest can go and get f*cked.

Kreuzer - Absolute joke and embarrasses himself week in week out. Shocked that he was taken and number one. Most uncordinated player in teh AFL and that includes player like Port's Butcher.
Kerridge - My God, does he have any redeeming feature? Turn over merchant extraordinaire
Jones - Faaaaaarrrrkkkk!
Rowe - FFFFAAAARRRRKKKK!
Graham - What does he provide out side of slipping over and one paced nothingness?
Thomas - Thanks Malthouse, you pr*ck!
Casboult - I used to like this bloke, but I'm over the misses from 25 metres out directly in front. If you can't improve after being on the list for 6 or 7 years, there is no hope for you. F*ck off! Pity we just re-signed him.... FFFFFAAAARRRKKK!!!!

We're a joke, and there will be another 5 years of this, mark my words. We are the new St Kilda of the 80's and Melbourne of the last 10 years.
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #40
Meh, I said we would lose. They had more to play for (pride) and it showed. Many guys stat chased today and got caught out.

I don't think it was a Bolton thing, just a lazy attitude thing.

We finish with pick 4/5 and can turn over some absolute suburban footballers on our list.

In this even draft its probably not such a  big deal anyway having No 1 pick...its not about losing either, its the pathetic way we get bullied, and how they know we are scared and lack confidence when playing them......they have got us bluffed and it wouldnt matter if they had 40 players suspended we would still be rattled by the sight of the red and black jumper...its embarrassing losing to them in the state they are in.....

Reply #41
From today's match, Graham, Jones, Thomas and Armfield. Gone

Walker and Jammo.  Retired.

Tutt, Wood, Smith, Foster, Dick, Gorridge, Everitt. Move on

Elevate Jesse Glass and the two Irish.

There is a difference between who we think SHOULD be axed and who can practically be dumped. 

You could name another 6 who should go....but it doesn't work like that.   

Reply #42
And to think we had only 1 player in today's NBs game good enough for elevation to the senior side (NBs defeated by cheats.com.au by about 67 pts).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #43
The boys were just very happy with themselves after last week. And it showed!! They showed what they should have done all day in the last quarter. Bloody disgraceful and disrespectful of the members and coaching staff.

Reply #44
Are we the only team to lose to Brisbane AND Essendon this year??? I'd say so.......
Football is life, there is nothing else....