Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 49003 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #211
Spot on, I wasnt suggesting it was due to lack of speed.
No problem - my mistake. RR is spot on - we sagged off especially from mid way through the first qtr to half time. I think we only had about 25 tackles to half time. It meant the Tigers had time and space to break away from clearances, and they had more numbers at the contest than us. Last year I thought our pressure around the ball was good, but it really looked poor in the JLT and it continued during Rd1. If we don't fix that up we will get spanked hard against the better teams.

We were competitive in games last year because we were hard to score against. Thursday night was back to the bad old days - 132 pts and 32 scoring shots against us, by a team that is middle of the road at best IMO. I pray we can flick the switch during the week on this or it's going to get ugly.

Reply #212
The boys only need to watch last night's game to see what's required to mix it with the best.

Reply #213
No problem - my mistake. RR is spot on - we sagged off especially from mid way through the first qtr to half time. I think we only had about 25 tackles to half time. It meant the Tigers had time and space to break away from clearances, and they had more numbers at the contest than us. Last year I thought our pressure around the ball was good, but it really looked poor in the JLT and it continued during Rd1. If we don't fix that up we will get spanked hard against the better teams.

We were competitive in games last year because we were hard to score against. Thursday night was back to the bad old days - 132 pts and 32 scoring shots against us, by a team that is middle of the road at best IMO. I pray we can flick the switch during the week on this or it's going to get ugly.

The game was effectively lost by end-Q1. We did pick up our efforts after half-time and this was very noticeable, but by then it was all too late. As previously posted though, it was an introduction into the big time for our younger, newer guys. Agree, the Tiger pressure and tackling was significantly more effective than ours and this had a big bearing on the result. Hopefully some lessons learned, but gee - some of our senior players are bl00dy slow learners.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #214
Cant tackle what you dont want to catch ie Martin...

Our development coaches are dumb.

Dusty's fend off is dead easy to deal with. You just tell the kids to forget the ball and sling him as hard as they can by his arm. You grab his wrist and drive your other hand into his elbow. Eventually he will either wreck his elbow, his shoulder, or he will become wary of the consequences which causes a hesitation in his actions.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #215

I don't think it's the development coaches that are dumb.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #216
I don't think it's the development coaches that are dumb.

Dusty gets a free ride from umpires, he regularly sticks his hand in the opponents throat and isn't penalised. If umpires aren't acting on his infractions players are entitled to defend themselves.

I've had enough of the media sycophants defending illegal actions from the likes of Martin, Franklin, Mumford and a host of others. They carry on about how great and how strong these players are then when a some 1st year copies their actions they scream about it being an illegal tactic. Hands in the back by forwards is a another great example of this from Thursday night, also tackling players before they even have the ball, driving them into the ground.

Too often it seems those decisions favour on side or another, it's completely incongruous with the spirit of the game. Games are no longer decided by the best players, the main influence on the result of games is how well coached players are to infringe on the limit of the law. If we think patience and player development will see that turn around we are ignorant of the circumstances.

Get political Carlton, get up to speed on the tactics, and play on the limits of the game not in the safe margins.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #217
My main response to that game was 1 of disappointment..... at the lack of intensity.

I wanted to see us have a red hot crack at it, it looked more like we were only running on 3 cylinders. The most damning stat was 88 tackles to 67, Richmond's way. That just simply isn't good enough. It doesn't require talent, or experience to have a crack, just get in there and have a go. 

I would loved to have heard a question along these lines directed at Bolton in the post game presser!
For me, this is the 1st thing that needs to be addressed. We will never win a game against anyone with the lack of intensity that we showed against the Tigers, it wouldn't matter how much talent we put out there.

And we did have some Talent!

It was nice to have the captain back, Murph is a very classy player, with ball in hand.

SPS is going to be a joy to watch! Only small glimpses last night really, but looking forward to much more!

Pickett is also going to be exciting to watch. I'm really hoping that he can build a tank and be able to play through the midfield and not just up forward.

Marchbank and Plowman will make a great tandem team for many years.

Macreadie didn't do a lot, But I saw a couple of nice things, he didn't look overawed.

I didn't see Smedts do anything outstanding, but I thought he went ok.

Weitering up forward was no surprise, 3 goals was a good return, he is just a quality player, who will always be hard to shut down for a whole game.

SOS is just a pure footballer, great to watch, I wish we had more like him! Maybe we will soon enough!

I was disappointed with Charlie Curnow, he didn't hit the scoreboard as a forward, and lacked possessions for a mid. Not entirely sure what his role was, but he somehow needs to find ways to get more involved. 5 tackles was better than many of his team mates though!

Rowe was good, I felt sorry for him when I think it was Caddy kicked that grubber goal on him.

Kreuzer had a great game, his 2nd efforts are just amazing! And 1 of his chases down the wing put many of our other mids to shame!!

+ 1

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #218
+2.

The lack of intensity was very evident from the get go. You don't beat anyone at this level unless you're hungry....

i expect to beat the Dees if we amp up the hunger!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #219
Dusty gets a free ride from umpires, he regularly sticks his hand in the opponents throat and isn't penalised. If umpires aren't acting on his infractions players are entitled to defend themselves.

I've had enough of the media sycophants defending illegal actions from the likes of Martin, Franklin, Mumford and a host of others. They carry on about how great and how strong these players are then when a some 1st year copies their actions they scream about it being an illegal tactic. Hands in the back by forwards is a another great example of this from Thursday night, also tackling players before they even have the ball, driving them into the ground.

Too often it seems those decisions favour on side or another, it's completely incongruous with the spirit of the game. Games are no longer decided by the best players, the main influence on the result of games is how well coached players are to infringe on the limit of the law. If we think patience and player development will see that turn around we are ignorant of the circumstances.

Get political Carlton, get up to speed on the tactics, and play on the limits of the game not in the safe margins.
Was it the Hawks that coined the phrase "unsociable footy"?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #220
Was it the Hawks that coined the phrase "unsociable footy"?

Not sure if it came from them directly, or from a journo in reference to them.

Goes to show you the power of marketing - we won't call it thuggish, take-out-the-man footy, we'll call it unsociable - and the media, who clearly love having a new phrase to bandy about, lapped it up.

Certainly gets more airplay than Lethal's "if it bleeds, you can kill it" nonsense.

Reply #221
That's very disappointing EB1, I'd always thought you were without such biases, a person who calls a spade a spade.

Sorry to disappoint LP and I do think I am a fair individual who does call a spade a spade etc....but with anything in life the greater the reward
the greater the responsibility in most cases..
I'm not a Thomas fan as you know but  you would also see I didnt bag him out after the game either, there were others worse and some better.
Yep he he got a rough deal on that holding the ball and his disposal compared to others like Simon White was much better...did he give effort, yes I think he did.
Did he give us 750k's worth of value..no...but I preferred to concentrate on others who I felt gave less effort...

Reply #222
Our development coaches are dumb.

Dusty's fend off is dead easy to deal with. You just tell the kids to forget the ball and sling him as hard as they can by his arm. You grab his wrist and drive your other hand into his elbow. Eventually he will either wreck his elbow, his shoulder, or he will become wary of the consequences which causes a hesitation in his actions.

How easy you reckon it is to grab a bloke who is oiled up, or at the very list covered in sweat. Like catching a greased up pig.

Reply #223
How easy you reckon it is to grab a bloke who is oiled up, or at the very list covered in sweat. Like catching a greased up pig.

I think the issue people on here are having is that none of our players even tried - no one is questioning that's he's a hard man to bring down, oil or no oil.

Reply #224

Our blokes ran away from Dusty or tried to shove the responsibility onto another player, they were scared to touch him, even Casboult didnt want anything to do with him when there was push and shove going on.
Its embarrassing for the club when one player has intimidated your team, we are not a physical team and will be exploited until either our senior players standup, or our young blokes grow up and are taught to tackle and fly the flag for their mates. The club may need to recruit some players who are prepared to be more physical and contest with the likes of Dusty better and make tackles stick....Dochertys attempt for example when he was" dont argued" wasnt good enough unlike Wright who hung on for dear life when he dragged the bigger Rance down....