Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 48961 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #225
Martin does it every week.

All this Martin crap is going too far. Yes he wasn't tagged but does anyone appreciate how bloody good he is!

I mean all this talk like we are scared to tackle him....we don't want to tackle him. I mean seriously?

He is an elite player who is abnormally strong through the core. We have an undersized mid field group and played 6 new players and had lots of under 21 year old. What do you expect.

He has perfected a technique that the majority of opponents can't deal with hence why he uses it every week. But posters here esay get a big bodied midfielder and it's problem solved. Sorry to burst your bubble but big bodied midfielder don't fix every problem.

Play the game again next week and get ready for the same result.

Sometimes the opposition is just better. Get used to it. We are rebuilding after all.

Reply #226
Can somebody explain why we passed on Xavier Richards during trade week?

Reply #227

All this Martin crap is going too far. Yes he wasn't tagged but does anyone appreciate how bloody good he is!

I mean all this talk like we are scared to tackle him....we don't want to tackle him. I mean seriously?

He is an elite player who is abnormally strong through the core. We have an undersized mid field group and played 6 new players and had lots of under 21 year old. What do you expect.

He has perfected a technique that the majority of opponents can't deal with hence why he uses it every week. But posters here esay get a big bodied midfielder and it's problem solved. Sorry to burst your bubble but big bodied midfielder don't fix every problem.

Sometimes the opposition is just better. Get used to it. We are rebuilding after all.

If you watched how we approached him you would see our players tried to corral rather than tackle him, River Rat observed Gibbs lineup  near Martin then duck shoved the job onto a younger player. when he should have taken the job on.
There was some push and shove with Vlastuin I think it was and our blokes all came in then left real quick when Martin arrived including Casboult...how many more examples do you need?
I cant think of one successful tackle being laid on Martin....not one....we have an undersized mid field....why?......Richmond are a non finals team and have been for a while which means the good tams are dealing with and tackling Martin fine...as Leigh Matthews said when he coached Brisbane...if it bleeds you can kill it".....
What example does it set to younger players when some senior players dont want to put it on the line.....would Luke Hodge or Jordan Lewis back off, or a Josh Kennedy(swans), or Libba..?
Opposition better???.....get used to it.???...been doing  that since 1995, how about the club telling the players to harden the f#$k up and dont embarrass the Navy Blue jumper ....young blokes and Matt Wright excused..

Reply #228
Don't know about everyone else, but I for one am getting pretty sick of knowing our season is over by the end of the first game. In this case it was over by mid way through the first quarter.

I'm not expecting to win the premiership, but for fu*ks sake, I wish this f*cking football club would give me something to get excited about. Just one passage of play that blows me away will do. Jesus, is that too much to ask?

All I see is fumbling, missed targets (most are easy 2-3 metre handballs and 15 metre kicks) and an inability to separate from a defender to give our players up field an option. When was the last time you saw any forward lead up and have a couple of metres on a defender?

I am at a loss how half our players managed to get to this level. Most I'm sure would stuggle at VFL level with the skills they display.

Oh btw, Gibbs and Murphy are a joke. Absolute travesty that they were picked at number one in the draft. I wish they'd both just f*ck off from the club. We'd be in a much better position without them. Zero leadership, zero heart and zero everything. Both a total waste of space, both on the list and cap space, of which they take too much of, for very little return.
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #229
 Hear Hear  Spanner!!!
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #230

"If it bleeds, you can kill it"
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #231
If you watched how we approached him you would see our players tried to corral rather than tackle him, River Rat observed Gibbs lineup  near Martin then duck shoved the job onto a younger player. when he should have taken the job on.
There was some push and shove with Vlastuin I think it was and our blokes all came in then left real quick when Martin arrived including Casboult...how many more examples do you need?
I cant think of one successful tackle being laid on Martin....not one....we have an undersized mid field....why?......Richmond are a non finals team and have been for a while which means the good tams are dealing with and tackling Martin fine...as Leigh Matthews said when he coached Brisbane...if it bleeds you can kill it".....
What example does it set to younger players when some senior players dont want to put it on the line.....would Luke Hodge or Jordan Lewis back off, or a Josh Kennedy(swans), or Libba..?
Opposition better???.....get used to it.???...been doing  that since 1995, how about the club telling the players to harden the f#$k up and dont embarrass the Navy Blue jumper ....young blokes and Matt Wright excused..

I get it EB and i like you get frustrated watching them every week. But when the emotion subsides I keep telling myself we are rebuilding. It's a tough comp and when you throw 20 plus players out in 2 years and replace them with inexperienced unknowns toughness at the contest is a trait you won't see consistanly.

And after all our last 'tough' players we had in a while in robbo, bell and touhy were all traded out and I can't remember too many on here in tears when they left. Can't have it both ways.

We are rebuilding. We all agreed to invest in youth to trade out older players and build from the ground up.

What you asking for is for harder tougher and more commited players. Swans, hawks and GWS have them in spades. But sadly we are not them and won't be for many years to come. Yes we have had 20plus years of pain and like it or not get ready for a few more before being competitive again.

Your points are valid just not valid at our stage in a rebuild imo.

Reply #232
All I see is fumbling, missed targets (most are easy 2-3 metre handballs and 15 metre kicks) and an inability to separate from a defender to give our players up field an option. When was the last time you saw any forward lead up and have a couple of metres on a defender?

Would like to argue but sadly our boys make silly basic, u/12 errors time and time again.

And the younger blokes are probably less culpable than most of out 75+ gamers.....

Tend to agree Murphy and Gibbs choose too often for my liking.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #235
Agree. But that's more a reflection of this forum than young Jack. I'm in the "undecided" camp as far as JS is concerned.

I wonder if Bolts feels a bit of pressure to play him, regardless of how he performs ? Partly because of his old man and partly because he's already a crowd favourite - every time he goes near it, they go off.

Not sure if you blokes are taking the pi55 or not.
Jack is clearly our best forward... That's not to say he is an elite player or anything, but of our forwards he reads the play best, clearly the highest work rate in the  forward line, no one leads or works harder off the ball... And is a fair kick and a good mark. We have absolutely nothing up forward, and I reckon most teams in the comp would be happy to have Jack on their list. Unfortunately we have to pin our hopes each week on a 19yo kid with the body of a 16 or 17yo kid, who competes much more impressively then he would be expected to at any other club.

Reply #236
Jack's enthusiastic and cocky, and he works hard, and that's fine. Being the No1 forward in our team is not hard, and in my view is possibly a dubious honor.

I like having him in the team, but the amount of pumping of his tires is out of whack to his actual ability IMO. 

I know it's early days, and he may develop into a beauty. But I'd rather wait and see for now.

Reply #237
Jack's enthusiastic and cocky, and he works hard, and that's fine. Being the No1 forward in our team is not hard, and in my view is possibly a dubious honor.

I like having him in the team, but the amount of pumping of his tires is out of whack to his actual ability IMO. 

I know it's early days, and he may develop into a beauty. But I'd rather wait and see for now.

Makes it even with Joe Daniher then...Lloyd and all the other EFC faithful have pumped Daniher up so much he could float away into orbit...
Think you have to give the fans some hope and the Silvagni name is associated with success so we need to spruik him like Essendon have done with Daniher...

Reply #238
Makes it even with Joe Daniher then...Lloyd and all the other EFC faithful have pumped Daniher up so much he could float away into orbit...
Think you have to give the fans some hope and the Silvagni name is associated with success so we need to spruik him like Essendon have done with Daniher...

I love a good spruik, so I have no problem with that. As long as it's understood that's what it is.

The Silvagnis are not only CFC Royalty, they are AFL Royalty. There isn't another family that comes close IMO.

Reply #239
Re: Young Jack

I think he's great for our club on several fronts.

The return of the name is one. The return he's shown for our investment - pick 50 something was it? Has come in as one of the youngest, held his own, and bagged a couple. He also plays with such passion. That has to inspire his team mates, and give supporters a little lift on what will be a long road.

Don't know of another player that offers all that at such an early stage in his career. Whilst no guarantee, he certainly shows potential to be a mainstay.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.