Skip to main content
Topic: Goaltracker (Read 53235 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Goaltracker

Reply #90
i think we need to play Smedts and Palmer more....too many kids at once, no good for anyone....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #91
That's a great analysis. IMO it is still very concerning [and scary] that we have made ZERO improvement to our scoring and goal kickers over the past 12 months.

I have banged on about this a bit, but I feel that many are missing the simple fact that we have made no progress in scoring power over the past 2.5 years. We are dead last in points for this year - we are simply never going to win games of football consistently and climb the ladder until we can improve our scoring by around 30% - 40% from where it has been stuck for a very long time.

Like a lot of others I see potential in some of the young players, but history also shows forwards, especially tall forwards, will take 3 years before they make a consistent impact and can kick 40-50+in a season. If we get Kerr and Harry into the team now, we are a still a long way away from having a top 8 scoring capability.

We can improve the defence relatively quickly [and we have with Doc, Marchbank, Plowman and Williamson], and the midfield is where we already have our 4 best players. Of course we need more quality midfield depth, but our forward line today is effectively a rabble still, led by a 27yo who will average 2 goals a game at best. All of the youngsters we have rolled through there so far this year have shown cameo's at best.

I think we need to start playing Kerr and McKay as a priority, and give KJ one last roll of the dice for a few games to see if he can show something. In the off season we need to recruit an established goal kicker and an experienced mid sized midfielder / forward to build our future forward line around - just like how we have built our backline around the experience of Simmo and Rowe [and now ACOS]. Remember our last successful drafting a KPF was Josh Kennedy in 2005!!

If we don't change something significant then we are doomed to keep getting the same scoring results as we have for the last 3.5 years. The idea that it will just 'naturally improve' has clearly been shown for a long time now to be a fallacy.

Rant over.......

Bolton said earlier this week that McKay will continue to learn his craft in the VFL but will certainly play before the season ends. If we are going to play Weitering in defence we need a 2nd key forward other wise Casboult has the role as both our only key forward and back up ruck. Tough gig. Jaksch is playing so very good football at both ends of the ground in the VFL. He can't do too much more and deserves a run in the seniors as a key forward. Too often last week, when Levi got up the ground outside 50, we had no tall to kick too in often an open 50, having to chip, and often muck up, when we could've got a clear one on one with a key forward. Jaksch could've had a chance one on one, as he a strong contested mark, or led into space, which he can do well. Thought once we got going last week we moved the ball better than we had all year. An extra tall forward would've been handy.

Reply #92
Solving it takes 50+ games experience for Curnow, SOSOS, McKay, Weit, Lebois, etc.

What us your solution? Recruit an experienced player I guess? If so which one?

...and what happens if they don't live up to expectation?

We've lost them, and 2+ years of experience on a potential replacement player we could've/SHOULD'VE drafted in the meantime.

Keep drafting until you have an embarrassment of riches that you can cash in on.

In the meantime.....do what we did with A. Silvagni. Take a big body who is ready to go should we need them.

Reply #93
I'm trying to understand where the 'confidence' comes from that is the basis of your argument, because the stats I am looking at tell a different story. What numbers are you looking at??

Rd10 2017 across all teams the average score for is 92.3, Rd10 2016 across all teams the average score was 92.2. So scoring rates across the comp are identical to same time last year. By the end of 2016 the average score had dropped to 89, so you could argue that scoring rates this year are actually up versus FY last year, but it's a moot point.

Your point about AE is exactly right - if you lose a player who consistently kicks 18 goals and don't replace him with another player of similar or better output, you will go backwards. We didn't recruit anyone who is looking like doing that number, but others have improved slightly [Cas / SOJ] so we stay square. But given we were 3rd last in scoring last year, my contention is that 'staying square' is a really bad outcome. And as has been shown, because the bottom teams have improved their scoring versus last year, we are actually now ranked dead last in scoring.

I don't really follow how the rotations effect this?? The objective of reducing rotations by the AFL is to reduce congestion, which may [or may not] increase scoring because the ball is 'in play' more often. The stats shown above would say that there has been no impact on actual scoring rates thus far.

My confidence comes from a few places.

1. No bombers/lions easy beats this year for teams to inflate their scoring. 

2.  On average at the end of last season (vs this season) many teams are conceding on average less points per match than last season.  Likewise,  it's fifty fifty in terms of teams scoring more on average (points scored/conceded divided by matches played).  It's still early for this.  It can change.

3.  I watch a lot of footy.  Games seem tighter, scoring isn't as quick, games are more open but generally the games are more end to end, with most of the play between the arcs and lots of turnovers entering forward fifty. 

I might have drawn some false conclusions, and some false perceptions.   However I'm confident in my opinions.   Time will tell, but I'm not overly concerned about it.  We're getting opportunities,  we are semi efficient with scoring, there is room for improvement and if our final kick entering fifty was cleaner we'd score more goals. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #94
Just looking at the stats we are also second last for Inside 50's per game [45.8], ahead of only Brisbane - so it's hard to say we are getting opportunities. Top 8 sides will generally average 55 per game. From these 45 entries we are averaging 10 goals per game, which is nothing flash either.

Last year we averaged 50 i50's per game over the season, so this 10% drop off is another area of real concern, and is probably more indicative of our current game style as the personnel in the midfield haven't changed much.

Some have said they think that BB will suddenly change the style in the second half and this will make a difference. There is a chance this might happen, but there has been no suggestion thus far that he will go down this path - if anything we become more defensive minded since the PA and GC games.

As a few mentioned yesterday the idea that our draftees will solve the forwardline problem is unfortunately not borne out of any previous success with this strategy - we are all 'hopeful' it will come true [over the next 2-3 years at best], but history shows you that is a low chance that it will work. Therefore you need to keep drafting KPF's constantly to spread the risk and increase the chances of finding the next Josh Kennedy [who we drafted 12 yrs ago] plus we need to actively seek a trade for an experienced and consistent goal kicker.

Reply #95
Attack is the best form of defense - 1970, 1972, 1995, 2007 GF's, all examples of teams who were either inherently attacking, or changed it up to go more attacking on the big day.

It's much harder for the opposition to catch you when you score 120 points per game than 70. It also makes it easier for the defense. There is simply no margin for error if your back 6 is defending measly low totals. The Crows defense, however good or bad they may be, have it easier than our boys. By this factor, our back 6 are doing a stellar job.

Reply #96
Attack is the best form of defense - 1970, 1972, 1995, 2007 GF's, all examples of teams who were either inherently attacking, or changed it up to go more attacking on the big day.

It's much harder for the opposition to catch you when you score 120 points per game than 70. It also makes it easier for the defense. There is simply no margin for error if your back 6 is defending measly low totals. The Crows defense, however good or bad they may be, have it easier than our boys. By this factor, our back 6 are doing a stellar job.
I think your point is often lost on people in the attack vs defence argument. For the last 3 years we have been playing the 'get the defence right, and then work on attack later' when in reality you need to both at the same time. Attack's take longer to build than good defence, as we have shown. But if you believe that then you actually need to go earlier and harder on building your attack.

It feels to me like we have made some really bad trade decisions [getting rid of Betts, Gartlett & Waite, and replacing them with KJ, Jones and Sumner] and are hoping that we can make up for this with draftees, even though our drafting history forward of centre has been putrid for over 10 years. Add to that, drafting forwards is a minimum 3 year horizon before you get real consistent return. Defenders can make a solid contribution from Year 1 - Weitering, Williamson etc.

As you say we have no margin for error, opposition sides are always in the game against us because we can't put scoreboard pressure on them, and they know they only have to kick 12-13 goals in a game to win. This puts enormous pressure on the defence from the beginning. Our team defence is doing pretty well - we concede 52 i50's per game which is ranked 7th.

Reply #97
Bolton is following a very similar strategy to that used by Roos with Melbourne.  It will work but we'll have limited success in the short term.

The key challenge is knowing when to change the emphasis to attack.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #98
Bolton is following a very similar strategy to that used by Roos with Melbourne.  It will work but we'll have limited success in the short term.

The key challenge is knowing when to change the emphasis to attack.

Well, I hope you're right, although I have my reservations about Melbourne being a suitable model to follow.

No doubt Bolts has put down dots on paper, and some of you seem to be able to join those dots and see the picture he's trying to make. Me, I'm undecided at this point. I can see little things here and there, but doubts remain.

Reply #99
Well, I hope you're right, although I have my reservations about Melbourne being a suitable model to follow.

No doubt Bolts has put down dots on paper, and some of you seem to be able to join those dots and see the picture he's trying to make. Me, I'm undecided at this point. I can see little things here and there, but doubts remain.

Well put. Both points spot on.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #100

For me, the fact that BB has put dots on paper is massive compared the to the previous mob who wiped their asses with the paper and put it on the table.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #101
My confidence comes from a few places.

1. No bombers/lions easy beats this year for teams to inflate their scoring. 

2.  On average at the end of last season (vs this season) many teams are conceding on average less points per match than last season.  Likewise,  it's fifty fifty in terms of teams scoring more on average (points scored/conceded divided by matches played).  It's still early for this.  It can change.

3.  I watch a lot of footy.  Games seem tighter, scoring isn't as quick, games are more open but generally the games are more end to end, with most of the play between the arcs and lots of turnovers entering forward fifty. 

I might have drawn some false conclusions, and some false perceptions.   However I'm confident in my opinions.   Time will tell, but I'm not overly concerned about it.  We're getting opportunities,  we are semi efficient with scoring, there is room for improvement and if our final kick entering fifty was cleaner we'd score more goals.

Scoring is down, footy has changed, tougher year this year etc.
Sure.

But...
Before last round, we were the only team to not have scored 100 goals so far this season.
We've only played 2 of the top 7 teams thus far so you certainly can't blame a hard draw.

Whatever trends you perceive to be going on, we are still at the bottom of them.

Reply #102
Scoring is down, footy has changed, tougher year this year etc.
Sure.

But...
Before last round, we were the only team to not have scored 100 goals so far this season.
We've only played 2 of the top 7 teams thus far so you certainly can't blame a hard draw.

Whatever trends you perceive to be going on, we are still at the bottom of them.

I don't doubt that but given Port smashed hawthorn about as much as any team is going to smash anyone and still only scored 13 goals for the match, I'm not worried.

I know with better execution we'd be scoring more.

We will see how it all pans out soon enough. I'm not stupid enough to think that everything is going to be fine, but I'm not worried about stuff at this stage.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #103

Never helped Geelong in the 90s. In big finals defence is a big key. any coach will say that. 1995 and 2007 were simply massacres, simply one side being far superior to the other. 70 and 72 were simply another era.

Reply #104
...and what happens if they don't live up to expectation?

We've lost them, and 2+ years of experience on a potential replacement player we could've/SHOULD'VE drafted in the meantime.

Keep drafting until you have an embarrassment of riches that you can cash in on.

In the meantime.....do what we did with A. Silvagni. Take a big body who is ready to go should we need them.

The old fine balancing act of recruiting, when to go young, when to blend it with experience, or if you're a top side, when to top up if you think you're near a flag. Getting the timing right of various type of recruiting is so important.