Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC (Read 39428 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC

Reply #105
I'd like to see 1 more tall forward in. Charlie, Cas and Harry would be a lot more dangerous. Kreuzers goals have dried up a bit too and Murphy seems a bit down on his normal goal output. Doesn't seem to rest forward like he's done in the past.

Reply #106
I'd like to see 1 more tall forward in. Charlie, Cas and Harry would be a lot more dangerous. Kreuzers goals have dried up a bit too and Murphy seems a bit down on his normal goal output. Doesn't seem to rest forward like he's done in the past.
Have to agree with that idea. We seem to be one marking target short at the moment. Hopefully big harry gets a run soon.

On another note, I'm glad we won last night as we've got some tough games ahead - Richmond, Adelaide, Melbourne and the doggies all at the MCG before heading back to Queensland to play the Lions.

Reply #107
If it was only his goal kicking that would be of enough concern but he turns over too many of his general field kicks as well.
As someone else posted, he's the best we've got at the moment, but let's not kid ourselves about his ability.
He's a very good overhead mark, but so was Brad Fisher, if we want to play in the big dance we'll need an upgrade on Levi.

His field kicking, like every aspect of his game, depends on his head state. When he starts well, he's ok. Once the mistakes start, then.........

I've said it before. More than anything, he needs a head coach, not a kicking coach. He can't seem to hold his head high once he starts making errors.

If only we could bottle some of the cockiness and blind arrogance that Carey and other top players had. I'm not comparing output, but that sort of attitude would hold Cas in good stead.

Reply #108
His field kicking, like every aspect of his game, depends on his head state. When he starts well, he's ok. Once the mistakes start, then.........

I've said it before. More than anything, he needs a head coach, not a kicking coach. He can't seem to hold his head high once he starts making errors.

If only we could bottle some of the cockiness and blind arrogance that Carey and other top players had. I'm not comparing output, but that sort of attitude would hold Cas in good stead.

If he struggles in the head dept Paul, especially under a coach such as BB, then he would struggle anywhere. That single issue, if indeed the case (and it certainly seems like it), would make other clubs very wary of taking him on board.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #109
If he struggles in the head dept Paul, especially under a coach such as BB, then he would struggle anywhere. That single issue, if indeed the case (and it certainly seems like it), would make other clubs very wary of taking him on board.

I would think so, unless they have a way of overcoming his mental fragility - a way that seems to have eluded us.

Reply #110
His technique is poor so he'll never have reliable foot skills.
As far as his head space goes, if it's an issue at 27 after 80 odd games I wouldn't be expecting miracles.
He's done well for a low pick in the rookie draft but we'll need something better if we want to be a serious contender, we only got away with it last night because we were playing a bottom 8 side.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #111
His technique is poor so he'll never have reliable foot skills.
As far as his head space goes, if it's an issue at 27 after 80 odd games I wouldn't be expecting miracles.
He's done well for a low pick in the rookie draft but we'll need something better if we want to be a serious contender, we only got away with it last night because we were playing a bottom 8 side.

Yes, Levi has been on our list for several seasons, he's had 2 stints with Rocca, and we have to accept that the bad Levi will always be there. I can't see any aspect of his game improving - if the club isn't happy with him now, then it's never going to happen. He definitely does good things, but those are countered by................. well, we're just going around in circles here.

Reply #112
Yes, Levi has been on our list for several seasons, he's had 2 stints with Rocca, and we have to accept that the bad Levi will always be there. I can't see any aspect of his game improving - if the club isn't happy with him now, then it's never going to happen. He definitely does good things, but those are countered by................. well, we're just going around in circles here.

Selection for R14 will definitely be interesting although Levi may be the default due to others not being ready/available.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
And on a side note, the only forward in our team that allows me to relax and uncurl my toes is Matty Wright. When he's having a shot, I know we'll be ok. The others, Levi, SOJ, CC, and some of our cameo goal kickers (e.g Murph, Gibbs etc.) all give me the willies.

Reply #114
Re Casboult, most of us can see his strengths and weaknesses.
For mine the acid is right on young Harry to replace him.

Harry needs to debut with casboult in the team and I reckon he will do so in the next 4 weeks (all at the g)

Reply #115
Harry needs to debut with casboult in the team and I reckon he will do so in the next 4 weeks (all at the g)
Dunno if Im being harsh but he showed nothing in the 2s yesterday. Perhaps he just has a long way to go.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #116
Dunno if Im being harsh but he showed nothing in the 2s yesterday. Perhaps he just has a long way to go.

Yeah GIC I watched the first QTR only. For mine he had intent and good effort. I noticed  a few times he led and was ignored or they didn't see him. I don't think it was a good day for our forwards.

I listen to the Carlton show podcast and the thought process there is he will be better in the 1s than the twos, but selection needs to be consistent and he needs to put in at least one strong game in the next month to get in.

Reply #117
............. well, we're just going around in circles here.

We are, I'm only trying to inject a dose of reality into the discussion.
Most of us fully realise that a key forward is an urgent priority and in the absence of one we indulge in wishful thinking about Levi, it's understandable but it won't win finals.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #118
Yeah GIC I watched the first QTR only. For mine he had intent and good effort. I noticed  a few times he led and was ignored or they didn't see him. I don't think it was a good day for our forwards.

I listen to the Carlton show podcast and the thought process there is he will be better in the 1s than the twos, but selection needs to be consistent and he needs to put in at least one strong game in the next month to get in.
The thing that stood out for me was that when our two ruckman went down, Kerr went into the ruck (and I used that phrase loosely as the poor kid was clueless) but Harry didnt. I imagine they were protecting him from being knocked around, I guess thats more proof that he has a long way to go. He landed on his back/buttocks and limped off. Hope it was nothing serious as he needs come continuity to develop.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #119

He shows undoubted talent but not consistently.
He's 50/50 in my opinion and to be on the safe side we should be looking at all the available options.