Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC (Read 39461 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC

Reply #120
The thing that stood out for me was that when our two ruckman went down, Kerr went into the ruck (and I used that phrase loosely as the poor kid was clueless) but Harry didnt. I imagine they were protecting him from being knocked around, I guess thats more proof that he has a long way to go. He landed on his back/buttocks and limped off. Hope it was nothing serious as he needs come continuity to develop.

I'd read into that that they were wanting to protect him?

Reply #121
We are, I'm only trying to inject a dose of reality into the discussion.
Most of us fully realise that a key forward is an urgent priority and in the absence of one we indulge in wishful thinking about Levi, it's understandable but it won't win finals.

There you go... Exactly. Bottom line is we are witnessing the best that Meat can deliver. He tried hard yesterday and did some good things, but, well... back going in circles again...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #122
Almost no one will believe this, but 10 minutes into yesterday's game I was REALLY excited about the way Casboult started and thought I might be about to witness his best game in Navy and I was readying to come in and give him effusive praise.

Then he started to die off and then he turned it into a horror show, to the stage I really felt sorry for the big fella, cause I reckon he was giving it a red hot crack, but that ball that was cut off in the 3rd just done his head in.

I seen  someone somewhere saying that he went into the ruck in the last and turned it around for us (unless I read it wrong, it was just on my phone), which isn't true, when he did go into the ruck they got a quick clearance, a Swallow mark and a goal, then Kreuz was back in again.

Anyway, I watched his kicking over a few times yesterday and what I would like to see him try (it can't hurt) is holding the point of the ball pointed back in towards him a bit more. I think it will lead to a better drop and might well help.

Casboult came very close to costing a win last night and it doesn't need to be said here, you could tell and his teammates could tell that he knew it.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #123
The thing that stood out for me was that when our two ruckman went down, Kerr went into the ruck (and I used that phrase loosely as the poor kid was clueless) but Harry didnt. I imagine they were protecting him from being knocked around, I guess thats more proof that he has a long way to go. He landed on his back/buttocks and limped off. Hope it was nothing serious as he needs come continuity to develop.

I wondered why HM didnt ruck, maybe they figured Pruess and Daw were going to dominate anyway and Harry was our best chance to kick a winning score or maybe like you said they were looking after him....
Pruess is one mean looking hombre...22 years old....thats a mature face he has on him, looks about 30 plus....206cm and around 110 kegs....scary unit for some of our baby faced kids.... :o

Reply #124
Almost no one will believe this, but 10 minutes into yesterday's game I was REALLY excited about the way Casboult started and thought I might be about to witness his best game in Navy and I was readying to come in and give him effusive praise.

Nope
I believe it.
I said exactly the same thing a few pages back.
At first glance his stats aren't bad but it would be interesting to see a quarter breakdown of those because his start and finish were chalk and cheese.

Reply #125
I'd read into that that they were wanting to protect him?
Agree, = not ready.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #126
I wondered why HM didnt ruck,.........

I heard / overheard a discussion that to the club's surprise the medicos discovered HM was still growing when he joined the club!

That could explain them keeping him away from the ruck, rucking a youth against men is one quick way to ruin a kids knee joints and future.

Could also explain why his twin hasn't got a run at Norp yet!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127

Then he started to die off and then he turned it into a horror show, to the stage I really felt sorry for the big fella, cause I reckon he was giving it a red hot crack, but that ball that was cut off in the 3rd just done his head in.

I seen  someone somewhere saying that he went into the ruck in the last and turned it around for us (unless I read it wrong, it was just on my phone), which isn't true, when he did go into the ruck they got a quick clearance, a Swallow mark and a goal, then Kreuz was back in again.

Anyway, I watched his kicking over a few times yesterday and what I would like to see him try (it can't hurt) is holding the point of the ball pointed back in towards him a bit more. I think it will lead to a better drop and might well help.

Casboult came very close to costing a win last night and it doesn't need to be said here, you could tell and his teammates could tell that he knew it.

That was me and I stand by what I wrote; without Casboult providing a contest in the ruck while Kreuzer was recovering, Gold Coast would have run over us.

I guess Casboult didn't really make the perfectly weighted kick to Daisy for a goal either   ::)

His kicking for goal was poor but he still made an important contribution to our win.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #128

I guess Casboult didn't really make the perfectly weighted kick to Daisy for a goal either   ::)

His kicking for goal was poor but he still made an important contribution to our win.

Check the opening posts in the in game thread....

He was great early and absolutely awful later. That is simply factual.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #129
That was me and I stand by what I wrote; without Casboult providing a contest in the ruck while Kreuzer was recovering, Gold Coast would have run over us.

It's all about the numbers, going at 50/50 won't get you the gold medal!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130

Standing in and getting beaten in the ruck makes him important to the win? I don't think he was instrumental at all in ruck duels in last and I gave credit to him early in the first because he looked fantastic, but I can look at the rest of the game and see he let the team down particularly in the last 45-50 minutes (despite still taking come good marks at times).

By the last he looked completely shot and it looked like those around him knew it also.

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #131
Gibbs was absolutely outstanding with 43 disp, 8 marks, 10 tackles and 2 goals.
This was one of Bryce Gibbs' best ever games. He worked excellently in the middle, ensuring we got clearances. He had serious leather poisoning and appeared to challenge himself to get more than Ablett did. One of the great games.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #132
Almost won that in spite of Levi.
Indeed. Levi had 8 marks and had the possessions to make a dominant game, but things just didn't work for him yesterday. His kicks fell short when he was passing the ball, except for an almost perfect kick to Thomas. His kicking for goal was terrible - the ball drop was high and he didn't settle down and fix it he tried to kick it harder. He almost played May into form in the last quarter when he read the ball poorly in the air and didn't put any pressure on May. His ruck work was much less effective than it has been recently. After an excellent first 20 minutes or so, he really had a game to forget.
That won't be the case all of the time, but he really had a game that nightmares are made of.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #133
This was one of Bryce Gibbs' best ever games. He worked excellently in the middle, ensuring we got clearances. He had serious leather poisoning and appeared to challenge himself to get more than Ablett did. One of the great games.

Kruezer also in career best form... would love to see him destroy Nankervis next week.

Reply #134
Kruezer also in career best form... would love to see him destroy Nankervis next week.
He played quite reasonably against Nankervis last time, but the bloke wouldn't stay beaten. :( Since then Kreuzer has, if anything, improved. His confidence is up. As long as he respects Nankervis and keeps him under control, we will have a decent chance.
Live Long and Prosper!