Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC (Read 39454 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC

Reply #91
If nothing else, Casboult entirely negated May - touted as an AA this year - and a big factor in GC's recent climb up the ladder...and a big part of that was Levi throwing his weight around.....

I guess you simply ain't a big picture type Kruddler.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #92
I thought the same.
Early on his confidence was up and I thought...this might be the night this bloke takes a game apart.
But once the yips started he just seemed to get worse....confidence gone.

I can't think of a player whose best aspects and worse aspects of his game are so far apart.
I do feel for him because form all reports he works pretty hard on his deficiencies.
But had we lost that game it would have all come back to the missed pass and the momentum GC gained from it.
It was a genuine "turning point."
He's being criticised and we won.
Had we lost he would have been crucified and I think he realised that.

What it means is that there is "his worth"...the good with the bad, and any contract negotiations will centre on that.
If some club (feeling that Carlton players often blossom after a move) wants to offer him more then we'll probably lose him.

Agree with all that. I also feel sorry for him, even though he's taken a few years off my life.

Reply #93
Re Casboult, most of us can see his strengths and weaknesses.
For mine the acid is right on young Harry to replace him.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #94
If nothing else, Casboult entirely negated May - touted as an AA this year - and a big factor in GC's recent climb up the ladder...and a big part of that was Levi throwing his weight around.....

Levi's kicking for goal was poor, but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe.  I reckon I could have kicked goals that Silvagni, Charlie Curnow and Casboult missed ... and that's a big statement from a notoriously poor kick :)

One of the telling periods in the last quarter was when Kreuzer took a heavy knock and had to spend 5 minutes or so resting in the forward line.  Casboult's work in the ruck and around the ground during that time kept us in the game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #95
People are pumping up his tyres despite his terrible performance.

I can be positive about it and list all the players that player BETTER than Casboult (despite some saying he was very influential and very important etc) but it'd be a long list. So i took it the other way.

Why are people so afraid at looking at, analysing and trying to rectify our weaknesses?
Why must it be considered negative?

No matter how much sugar and/or fairy dust you sprinkle on our win/season/list there are areas we need to improve on. That is not just for us, but all 18 teams this year....and last year....and every year the competition has existed.

If you don't want to read/listen/hear about what areas need some work, then i've got a sandpit you can hide in if it makes you feel better.

Your a funny one kruddler. Seriously you should be a politician. Sprinkle fairy dust and sugar, hiding in a sand pit ....that's gold mate.

I won't try and argue with you as your too talented in diverting and discrediting anyone that disagrees with you, so i won't bother.

Prefer to spend my Sunday enjoying the replay!

Reply #96
Great win away from home, and much to like about the team as they grow. A definate style is emerging that seems to be combining the well organised defence of the modern era with pace moving the ball forward.  Well done to the coaching team and the senior players that are doing some very heavy lifting as they carry many of the young players through their first 30 odd games.

Gibbs played his best game since the 2013 elimination. Combining long accurate kicking with 10 tackles and 2 very classy goals is a 10 out of 10 performance. Liked many of our young midfielders. They drifted in and out, but worked hard. Boekhoarst, despite missing his second chance with a silly dribble kick added run. The run is especially important as we are playing a 5 or sometimes 4 man forward line.

Actually felt casboult has addressed the biggest problem of his game in the past two weeks: his work rate. He is getting to contests and bringing the ball to ground well. Problem is that as work rate has risen, fatigue has set in and one reverts to old kicking habits. His job is to kick goals.

Feel for barlow, that looks career ending, a real shame.

Bring on richmond! Should be a great day at the footy.

Reply #97

Levi crashing packs and being so physical is vital in such as inexperienced forward line.

He hurt May in one passage of play, which is no easy feat.

SOJ, fisher, SPS to name a few walk taller with a brute like Levi around. 

His kicking will always be below par, which is such a pity BUT he still has some qualities our young team relies on.

Reply #98
Levi crashing packs and being so physical is vital in such as inexperienced forward line.

He hurt May in one passage of play, which is no easy feat.

SOJ, fisher, SPS to name a few walk taller with a brute like Levi around. 

His kicking will always be below par, which is such a pity BUT he still has some qualities our young team relies on.

I agree with all that, which only leaves both our club Levi exposed to criticism. I hope for his sake this goes away, because after the game it looked like he had the world on his shoulders. It looked to me like he is on a last chance!

Worse for me, early Levi's marking was red hot and his confidence should have been high, but with each missed set shot at goal his hands became less and less effective as his own confidence evaporated! It doesn't just sap his own confidence, it affects those around him. Last night it's like they played in difference of those deficiencies, but that motivation might only have limited longevity.

The coaches have a real dilemma, I suspect they love the pack smashing Levi but hate the kicking Levi. Not just the goal kicking Levi, but that cross to SoJ that resulted in a turnover. I'm not sure how long coaches can or will persist!

I suspect one way or another we'll find out well before the end of the season based on selections.

If BB can turn this into a positive outcome for both club and player he should receive a lifetime contract!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
Again rapt about the way we won as well as the win itself. Consistent effort for the whole game and to steady after they got in front.

Gibbs! Only had to wait 10 years but we finally got what we thought we recruited. It's games like this that make me even more frustrated with him, has all the talent, size and skill in the world.

Jones with a great follow up performance, hopefully another one against Riewoldt. A couple of two handed punches not sure if because of the conditions but mark it!

I hate commenting about umpiring but it was bordering pathetic at times. I think there was one bloke in paticular, heaps of muck ups without going through them all but it was the classic umpires game tonight. Two lower teams, interstate, no care factor by the media so umpires think the game is about them and invent and change rules on the fly.

Reply #100
levi in 2017 has kicked 18.9 - 66.6%

so it was 18.6 before last night. 75%.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #101
levi in 2017 has kicked 18.9 - 66.6%

so it was 18.6 before last night. 75%.

When you include his out on the full shots

18.9 (6) = 54.5%
As per AFL website.

Reply #102
Your a funny one kruddler. Seriously you should be a politician. Sprinkle fairy dust and sugar, hiding in a sand pit ....that's gold mate.

I won't try and argue with you as your too talented in diverting and discrediting anyone that disagrees with you, so i won't bother.

Prefer to spend my Sunday enjoying the replay!

Ignorance is bliss. ;)

Enjoy the replay. I watched a bit of it last night already.

Just take note of what went right and what went wrong.....and why.

Reply #103
Not this week, he needs to make Rance accountable

That's a two edged sword TC - anyway selection will be interesting.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #104
yes - all players, not just Levi, need to be evaluated on their whole skill set, game day attributes etc.

Unfortunately, his negative (i.e goal kicking) is a big one. Like I said, one good thing, one bad.............

If it was only his goal kicking that would be of enough concern but he turns over too many of his general field kicks as well.
As someone else posted, he's the best we've got at the moment, but let's not kid ourselves about his ability.
He's a very good overhead mark, but so was Brad Fisher, if we want to play in the big dance we'll need an upgrade on Levi.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.