Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2023 Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne at the MCG (Read 8293 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2023 Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne at the MCG

Reply #75
Love the confidence LP but not sure Martin could get off that one.....it looked pretty ordinary and while Blakey returned to the field, it's gotta be one week IMO. It was pretty clumsy.

Reply #76
Love the confidence LP but not sure Martin could get off that one.....
Wouldn't call myself confident, but it won't be a surprise if it happens. It's not like it hasn't happened before.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #77
It's not certain at all that Martin will be an out yet, the Tribunal have a history of completely overturning ridiculous penalties.

I think Christian gave him two weeks expecting him to appeal and still get a week, it was amateur hour and just further evidence Christian needs to get the bullet. If the first thing he did was to ban himself that would have been the the right penalty from the start.

But two weeks can be viewed by the tribunal as excessive, and that then calls the whole MRO judgement into question, historically the tribunal hates it's time being wasted from either side of the debate.

Do not be surprised Martin walks away with a fine and Christian ends up on shaky ground, I think the writing is on the wall after the new CEO stepped in!
He struck Blakey with a full on fist in the jaw, one week is lenient imo, not sure what got into Martin as that type of act isnt part of his game. Maybe Blakey said or did something to him prior that got him incensed enough to go the cheap shot but it was a bad look and very undisciplined which is a shame given he is playing the best football of his career with the club.

Reply #78
Wouldn't call myself confident, but it won't be a surprise if it happens. It's not like it hasn't happened before.
In order to get off, you need a legitimate reason.
In the past there has been one.
For this hit? Can't see one.

Whats his defence? His head looked like a football and he tried to knock it forward??
Put up a side by side of his head next to a football??

Reply #79
I reckon he could argue he was trying to put a fist in to punch the football.

Whether or not that is successful is a different story.  It didnt get a free kick on the night, which is usually trouble for the person appealing.  For some strange reason, if you hit a bloke high, the umpire sites it on the day and you get a free kick against, it usually draws a discount at the MRO and this is the opposite where play continued.  

Pretty weird that they take into account the on field happenings. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80

Whats his defence? His head looked like a football and he tried to knock it forward??
🤣
Has he got a "Sherrin' tat on his face? That is priceless.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #81
🤣
Has he got a "Sherrin' tat on his face? That is priceless.
He does have a head you'd like to kick.

Or looks like its been kicked a few times.

Reply #82
Didn't Hodge give Martin the best argument, something about Blakey not owning a coat hanger?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
Got a ticket after some very nervous minutes getting knock-back after knock-back from ticketek. Ended up getting a standing room ticket which is fine because, well, I like to stand. There was a bloke on SEN just a few minutes ago who is a GOLD club support Carlton member and he couldn't get a ticket either this week or last week! This will be my last year as an AFL member. Sick of their crape treatment. My son has a provisional MCC so I plan to piggy-back off that from next year on.
Anyway, weather is looking great for Friday night so bring it on.
Go baggers!

MCC was gone in a heartbeat and only one visitor pass per ticket in finals.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #84
MCC was gone in a heartbeat and only one visitor pass per ticket in finals.

They days of visitor passes are surely over for finals. We have to stand, your mate didn't get a ticket while non AFL members are sitting in our seats.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #85
Didn't Hodge give Martin the best argument, something about Blakey not owning a coat hanger?

Blakey is near shoulderless....lol.

Reply #86

Yes, this is a get it down to 1 week job and hope we win.

Reply #87

Do not be surprised Martin walks away with a fine
Not a snowballs chance in hell.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #88
He struck Blakey with a full on fist in the jaw, one week is lenient imo, not sure what got into Martin as that type of act isnt part of his game. Maybe Blakey said or did something to him prior that got him incensed enough to go the cheap shop but it was a bad look and very undisciplined which is a shame given he is playing the best football of his career with the club.
The only hope they have is to argue the impact down from high to medium and he gets a week instead of 2. If it were me, I would grade impact as follows with respect to the player that gets "hit":
- Player continues playing or receives minimal on field treatment/attention - Low
- Player goes off, receives treatment and needs to spend the mandatory 20 mins off then comes back on - Medium
- Player concussed, goes off and misses next week - High
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #89
The only hope they have is to argue the impact down from high to medium and he gets a week instead of 2. If it were me, I would grade impact as follows with respect to the player that gets "hit":
- Player continues playing or receives minimal on field treatment/attention - Low
- Player goes off, receives treatment and needs to spend the mandatory 20 mins off then comes back on - Medium
- Player concussed, goes off and misses next week - High
Yep Agree with all that...I would suspend one week of Martin's penalty and would have given Van Rooyen 2 weeks as well with one week suspended as a deterrent to both. I know Brayshaw was knocked out/concussed etc and had to leave the ground but what Martin and Van Rooyen did in striking players was worse behaviour than what Maynard did imho even though the result of the collision with Brayshaw was more damaging to the injured player. ..I must be old school in how I view the game.